The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow.. (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=224614)

RAMA September 3 2013 12:31 AM

So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..
 
I knew they were good, but ST09's DVD sales were so high I didn't expect them to be THIS good. It is the 3rd best selling bluray in the United States ever. It has sold 3,878,678 units on bluray for and additional $84,732,687 to ST09's $102 milion from DVD. I originally speculated it was in the $30-40 million range...I was way off. So from just BO gross and DVD-Bluray, ST09 has made $594 million in adjusted dollars. I'm thinking STID will probably do as well.

http://www.the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart

jimbotron September 3 2013 03:08 AM

Re: So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..
 
More than double the amount sold for Star Wars? A lot of fans have refused to buy that because it doesn't have the originals. I imagine STID will not be as successful as ST'09 in light of Paramount/Bad Robot's latest tactics.

Also, there's a caveat to that list. It only captures sales from July 2009 onward. It's missing the first 7 months of sales for The Dark Knight, yet it's at 2.6 million. That's probably the true #1, making Star Trek #4.

Devon September 3 2013 03:49 AM

Re: So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..
 
Quote:

jimbotron wrote: (Post 8591089)
I imagine STID will not be as successful as ST'09 in light of Paramount/Bad Robot's latest tactics.

If STID is not as successful it won't be because of that. People at large are buying the DVD/Blu-Ray to watch the film, not because they are dying to see the Behind-the-Scenes look at Benedict Cumberbatch's hairdo.

MacLeod September 3 2013 07:46 AM

Re: So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..
 
Quote:

RAMA wrote: (Post 8590522)
I knew they were good, but ST09's DVD sales were so high I didn't expect them to be THIS good. It is the 3rd best selling bluray in the United States ever. It has sold 3,878,678 units on bluray for and additional $84,732,687 to ST09's $102 milion from DVD. I originally speculated it was in the $30-40 million range...I was way off. So from just BO gross and DVD-Bluray, ST09 has made $594 million in adjusted dollars. I'm thinking STID will probably do as well.

http://www.the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart

Won't it be more than US$594m that when you factor in. Global blu-ray sales. Not to mention DVD sales?

CorporalClegg September 3 2013 08:52 AM

Re: So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..
 
Does that account for digital sales?

Flake September 3 2013 02:06 PM

Re: So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..
 
Very impressive.

You can't put a negative spin on that, it is a great achievement by Star Trek :)

jimbotron September 3 2013 05:09 PM

Re: So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..
 
Quote:

CorporalClegg wrote: (Post 8591785)
Does that account for digital sales?

It appears to be Blu-ray sales only.

Borgminister September 3 2013 06:36 PM

Re: So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..
 
Ah, but did the movie turn a profit? :p

BillJ September 3 2013 06:40 PM

Re: So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..
 
Quote:

Borgminister wrote: (Post 8593276)
Ah, but did the movie turn a profit? :p

Nope and neither will Into Darkness. Rick Berman is sitting by his phone, waiting for the call to swoop in and save the day! :guffaw:

trekker670 September 3 2013 08:41 PM

Re: So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8593291)
Quote:

Borgminister wrote: (Post 8593276)
Ah, but did the movie turn a profit? :p

Nope and neither will Into Darkness. Rick Berman is sitting by his phone, waiting for the call to swoop in and save the day! :guffaw:

Is this a joke or am I missing something? According to this both ST09 and STID approximately doubled their budget in the box office (not including DVD/BR sales). Granted this doesn't take into account the marketing budget or the theater/distributor cuts of the box office, but it would appear they would still made money. Admittedly, the profit margin is likely less than the other movies (with the exception of Nemesis), but I would hardly say the last two films were unsuccessful.

SalvorHardin September 3 2013 08:51 PM

Re: So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..
 
Quote:

trekker670 wrote: (Post 8593882)
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8593291)
Quote:

Borgminister wrote: (Post 8593276)
Ah, but did the movie turn a profit? :p

Nope and neither will Into Darkness. Rick Berman is sitting by his phone, waiting for the call to swoop in and save the day! :guffaw:

Is this a joke or am I missing something? According to this both ST09 and STID approximately doubled their budget in the box office (not including DVD/BR sales). Granted this doesn't take into account the marketing budget or the theater/distributor cuts of the box office, but it would appear they would still made money. Admittedly, the profit margin is likely less than the other movies (with the exception of Nemesis), but I would hardly say the last two films were unsuccessful.


It was a joke, Cupcake :)

BillJ September 3 2013 09:00 PM

Re: So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..
 
Quote:

trekker670 wrote: (Post 8593882)
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8593291)
Quote:

Borgminister wrote: (Post 8593276)
Ah, but did the movie turn a profit? :p

Nope and neither will Into Darkness. Rick Berman is sitting by his phone, waiting for the call to swoop in and save the day! :guffaw:

Is this a joke or am I missing something? According to this both ST09 and STID approximately doubled their budget in the box office (not including DVD/BR sales). Granted this doesn't take into account the marketing budget or the theater/distributor cuts of the box office, but it would appear they would still made money. Admittedly, the profit margin is likely less than the other movies (with the exception of Nemesis), but I would hardly say the last two films were unsuccessful.

It was a joke.

But it's okay, sometimes the jokes here whoosh right over my head as well. :techman:

trekker670 September 3 2013 09:05 PM

Re: So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..
 
I figured as much, but I've heard others mention on other sites that STID was a failure, both in terms of content and budget, often stating the the bluray sales need to be good in order for the studio to break even.

When I looked at the numbers, I was quite surprised that most of the Trek films tripled their budgets, whereas the last two barely doubled.

BillJ September 3 2013 09:20 PM

Re: So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..
 
Quote:

trekker670 wrote: (Post 8594026)
I figured as much, but I've heard others mention on other sites that STID was a failure, both in terms of content and budget, often stating the the bluray sales need to be good in order for the studio to break even.

When I looked at the numbers, I was quite surprised that most of the Trek films tripled their budgets, whereas the last two barely doubled.

From a money standpoint, the film did under-perform (I think it comes down to a very poor marketing effort). But if you go to a site like Rotten Tomatoes, you'll see that it was a critical success and liked by the vast majority of those who voted (around 250,000 people last I checked).

As far as doubling- or tripling- the budget, it is just a different economic model now. If you play in the summer you're going to go up against many other big-budget, high profile films and the time you're spending in the theaters continues to shrink. Star Trek Into Darkness was preceded two weeks earlier by Iron Man 3 and had Fast and Furious 6 release a week later.

Crowded box-office plus poor marketing equals a film that didn't do as well at the cinema as it should have. At least in my opinion.

Devon September 4 2013 05:23 AM

Re: So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..
 
Quote:

trekker670 wrote: (Post 8594026)
I figured as much, but I've heard others mention on other sites that STID was a failure, both in terms of content and budget,

Not in the slightest.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.