The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   How's the "Popcorn" button on your microwave? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=224233)

Trekker4747 August 30 2013 01:51 AM

How's the "Popcorn" button on your microwave?

I remember back in the day when to pop popcorn in the microwave you'd set it for some ridiculous time and sit there and listen as the popcorn popped and began to slow down to some vague point where the popcorn was popping slowly so you'd stop it and then either find it all popped but burned or not burned but still some unpopped kernels in the bag.

Now-days almost every microwave has a "popcorn" button that you set to the size of the bag, I think some microwaves have a sensor in them.

So how does your microwave perform when it comes to the popcorn button/setting? Mine does... okay. I've the type where you tell it the bag size and it goes on a pre-set time. Usually I can easily leave the microwave and popcorn to its own devices without baysitting it and I get a mostly popped unburned bag. But, dammit, I'm still paying for those unpopped kernels and I want those popcorns!

Miss Chicken August 30 2013 02:00 AM

Re: How's the "Popcorn" button on your microwave?

I wouldn't know as I have never used it. I don't really like popcorn much. I don't think I have popped corn since my children were young (so it is probably more than 15 years ago).

Locutus of Bored August 30 2013 02:07 AM

Mine doesn't have any variable time depending on the size of the bag. I just hit the popcorn button and then the start button (which automatically adds another thirty seconds each time you hit it) because otherwise too many kernels go unpopped.

thestrangequark August 30 2013 02:10 AM

I've never made popcorn in the microwave before, only on the stove.

Davros August 30 2013 02:20 AM

Mine works fine but I use this now as it makes far far better popcorn.
http://www.whirleypopshop.com/

Sephiroth August 30 2013 02:22 AM

crappy, that's why I bought an air popper

Pondwater August 30 2013 02:33 AM

I remember the old school buttons, although I usually stopped it 20 secs before the time was up and it worked fine. I can't eat popcorn anymore, so I haven't tried it on my newer microwave.

Trekker4747 August 30 2013 02:42 AM

I do occasionally use my popcorn maker/oil popper as the end result is far superior but when I'm feeling lazy, eh, microwave.

iguana_tonante August 30 2013 03:27 AM

My microwave doesn't have a popcorn button (and in fact, I never saw a microwave with a "popcorn" button. Must be an American thing.)

I think the last time I ate popcorn was years ago. It was from a bag, and it tasted like eating salted nothing.

SeerSGB August 30 2013 03:39 AM

Ours has one setting to the key: Burned to a radioactive charcoal or not popped at all. No rhyme or reason to it--other than the microwave is ancient.

J. Allen August 30 2013 04:34 AM

We have a 900 watt microwave, and the popcorn button seems to do a good job popping 95% of the kernels.

Peach Wookiee August 30 2013 04:58 AM

Mine works well, but I tend to set the timer manually.

Captain Ice August 30 2013 05:24 AM

Seems to work ok, but I don't eat popcorn much at home. Our local theater chain has a deal where if you buy a $25 t-shirt and bring it with you, they give you a free medium popcorn every time you go to the movies. For $1 to $2, you can upgrade to large and extra large sizes. I tend to get my fill of popcorn there.

Kira's Mom August 30 2013 06:57 AM

Mine doesn't work that well. I just set the timer for the recommended time, and listen carefully for the pops.

CorporalClegg August 30 2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

thestrangequark wrote: (Post 8574874)
I've never made popcorn in the microwave before, only on the stove.

This.

I have eaten microwaved popcorn before. Hated it.