The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Changes To The Observation Lounge.... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=224227)

Nero's Shadow August 30 2013 12:35 AM

Changes To The Observation Lounge....

I've always liked that set but I can't understand why they had to get rid of the history of the enterprises. I thought it was a nice touch and bridged the gap between the TOS ship and the other enterprises. I always loved that you could see the TOS movie Enterprise and even the C and over time we got to see the C and even the Enterpise B in the movie generations.
http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/...psead3c363.png

So why change it I'm assuming it was removed at the season 5 I've seen it in season 4 .

Hober Mallow August 30 2013 01:00 AM

Re: Changes To The Observation Lounge....

IIRC, the set was severely altered for STVI:TUC, filmed between TNG's season four and season five. It was the officer's mess set in TUC.

Lance August 30 2013 03:23 AM

Correct. The new wall section seen in STVI is what replaces the "ships of the line" display from S5 onwards.

There's also a difference between the obs lounge in Season 1 and the one seen from Season 2 onwards. IIRC, in S1 it was a modified section of the sickbay set, whereas S2 saw them build a dedicated set for the obs lounge that was used for the rest of the series.

R. Star August 30 2013 04:11 AM

Forbid they remodel a room on a space hotel over seven years also. ;)

Nero's Shadow August 30 2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Hober Mallow wrote: (Post 8574622)
IIRC, the set was severely altered for STVI:TUC, filmed between TNG's season four and season five. It was the officer's mess set in TUC.

Forgot about that didn't they use the engineering set from TNG for Star Trek 6 TUC as well ????

Bry_Sinclair August 30 2013 09:20 AM

Yup, they just coloured all the display panels Movie green/blue.

Nero's Shadow August 30 2013 09:24 AM

I liked this one more better seen from FC and Nem http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/...pse0a18fdd.png

jpv2000 August 31 2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Nero's Shadow wrote: (Post 8575891)
I liked this one more better seen from FC and Nem

Same here. I was never too fond of the first one.

Trekker4747 August 31 2013 12:38 AM

FC had a very different lineage wall with larger models and the wall took up most of the..., well, wall. We see Picard walk past this larger wall at the beginning of the movie and, most notably, smashing it with a phaser rifle during his "Ahab moment." near the climax.

I'm not too much a fan of that lineage wall in the screen cap because the ships are not in scale with one another (it looks like they simply used the AMT/ERTL model kits available at the time) and also appear in no discernible order.

jpv2000 August 31 2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Trekker4747 wrote: (Post 8579071)
FC had a very different lineage wall with larger models and the wall took up most of the..., well, wall. We see Picard walk past this larger wall at the beginning of the movie and, most notably, smashing it with a phaser rifle during his "Ahab moment." near the climax.

I'm not too much a fan of that lineage wall in the screen cap because the ships are not in scale with one another (it looks like they simply used the AMT/ERTL model kits available at the time) and also appear in no discernible order.

True, but I like both of those better than the original. I prefer the one in FC, but both are an improvement over the first, in my opinion.

RandyS August 31 2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Yep. Although I've never heard an explanation for this, I've always assumed that the set construction guys (or whatever their title actually is) accidentally damaged that ENTERPRISE model wall beyond repair during the reconstruction and it had to be replaced. It was just that nobody ever commented on it.

Still, if that WAS the case, I was disapointed that they didn't put up a new model wall instead of that "pointy ended" wall they ended up building.

RandyS August 31 2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Nero's Shadow wrote: (Post 8575882)
Quote:

Forgot about that didn't they use the engineering set from TNG for Star Trek 6 TUC as well ????

With the exception of the bridge, the entire ENTERPRISE-D set stood in for the ENTERPRISE-A in TUC.

Trekker4747 August 31 2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

RandyS wrote: (Post 8581021)
Quote:

Yep. Although I've never heard an explanation for this, I've always assumed that the set construction guys (or whatever their title actually is) accidentally damaged that ENTERPRISE model wall beyond repair during the reconstruction and it had to be replaced. It was just that nobody ever commented on it.

Still, if that WAS the case, I was disapointed that they didn't put up a new model wall instead of that "pointy ended" wall they ended up building.

Actually that's what I had always heard, the lineage wall was damaged during the making of TUC. I think it's more likely they just thought the wood paneling and the crude gold models no longer looked good and went with a new wall that better fit the design themes of the 1990s (which had thankfully chucked out wood paneling) and the tone the series had taken on.

Robert Comsol August 31 2013 10:57 PM

I'm also sure some people were happy that the conference lounge's sculpture wall was destroyed because they got rid of uncomfortable evidence.

On the top right of the picture (first post) we can clearly see Andrew Probert's Enterprise-C.

As some may remember the official "excuse" for not using Andrew Probert's Enterprise-C design for the VFX model in "Yesterday's Enterprise" was that they couldn't find his original sketches and designs anymore. :rofl:

They could have just gone to the conference lounge studio set and take a fracking look at the Enterprise-C sculpture!

Bob

Trekker4747 August 31 2013 11:20 PM

The excuse I had always heard was that Propert's design was too complicated to create in a limited time and budget that had to work with.