The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science and Technology (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   China to land rover on Moon by end of this year (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=224059)

DarthTom August 28 2013 09:41 PM

China to land rover on Moon by end of this year
 
I guess we continue to fall behind

NY Times
Quote:

HONG KONG — China plans to land an unmanned exploratory rover on the moon by the end of 2013, a step forward in the country’s efforts to master the skills of space travel, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported on Wednesday. The launch rocket and other components for the Chang’e-3 lunar probe, named after a goddess in Chinese myth who flew to the moon, have already been assembled and tested, Xinhua reported, citing a meeting of the Chinese lunar exploration program.

R. Star August 28 2013 10:00 PM

Re: China to land rover on Moon by end of this year
 
I wouldn't say fall behind yet, but we will if we don't start moving forward again.

Lindley August 28 2013 10:08 PM

Re: China to land rover on Moon by end of this year
 
So the Chinese will be the first ones to get HD moon images, I guess. At that range streaming is even within the realm of possibility.

Relayer1 August 28 2013 10:23 PM

Re: China to land rover on Moon by end of this year
 
I didn't realise China had purchased Land Rover...

Alidar Jarok August 29 2013 12:11 AM

Re: China to land rover on Moon by end of this year
 
We recently landed a rover on Mars. I'm not sure why the Moon is more impressive? In both cases, we're talking about unmanned rovers.

Galileo7 August 29 2013 12:32 AM

Re: China to land rover on Moon by end of this year
 
Quote:

Alidar Jarok wrote: (Post 8569531)
We recently landed a rover on Mars. I'm not sure why the Moon is more impressive? In both cases, we're talking about unmanned rovers.

Agree.:vulcan:

gturner August 29 2013 12:59 AM

Re: China to land rover on Moon by end of this year
 
We falling behind more quickly than ever. The Russian Security Council might ban export of the RD-180, which powers the Atlas V that put our Mars rovers up and is supposed to launch the Orion multipurpose crew exploration vehicle.

link

Mr. Adventure August 29 2013 01:35 AM

Re: China to land rover on Moon by end of this year
 
Quote:

Relayer1 wrote: (Post 8569075)
I didn't realise China had purchased Land Rover...

If they put a Land Rover on the moon I'll be impressed.

SiddFinch1 August 29 2013 02:58 AM

Re: China to land rover on Moon by end of this year
 
Maybe it will provide incentive to the US space program.

scotpens August 29 2013 06:11 AM

Re: China to land rover on Moon by end of this year
 
Quote:

Mr. Adventure wrote: (Post 8569765)
Quote:

Relayer1 wrote: (Post 8569075)
I didn't realise China had purchased Land Rover...

If they put a Land Rover on the moon I'll be impressed.

It would make one hell of a TV commercial.

B.J. August 29 2013 03:29 PM

Re: China to land rover on Moon by end of this year
 
I really don't see us falling behind. We've sent several rovers and orbiters to Mars, and we've also sent many orbiters to the Moon recently. Just because we don't have a rover on the Moon doesn't mean we've fallen behind, not by a long shot. In fact, I'd say China still has a long way to go before they catch up.

Lindley August 29 2013 03:54 PM

Re: China to land rover on Moon by end of this year
 
Quote:

B.J. wrote: (Post 8571934)
I really don't see us falling behind. We've sent several rovers and orbiters to Mars, and we've also sent many orbiters to the Moon recently. Just because we don't have a rover on the Moon doesn't mean we've fallen behind, not by a long shot. In fact, I'd say China still has a long way to go before they catch up.

If we were really that far ahead, we could whip up a moon rover of our own and beat them to the punch. We can't.

Alidar Jarok August 29 2013 04:24 PM

Re: China to land rover on Moon by end of this year
 
Well, the things cost money and time to build. If we had wanted to for some reason, we could have sent the rover we sent to Mars to the Moon instead. We didn't because it would have been a waste and we wanted to send it to Mars.

Let's put it this way. Can China just whip up a Mars rover and beat us to Mars?

DarthTom August 29 2013 05:03 PM

Re: China to land rover on Moon by end of this year
 
Quote:

Alidar Jarok wrote: (Post 8572222)
Well, the things cost money and time to build. If we had wanted to for some reason, we could have sent the rover we sent to Mars to the Moon instead. We didn't because it would have been a waste and we wanted to send it to Mars.

Let's put it this way. Can China just whip up a Mars rover and beat us to Mars?

Well at the moment the US cannot even put a human being in low earth orbit to the ISS, whereas the Chinese are sending people into orbit and now a rover to the Moon.

By my calculations while they may not be technically ahead of the US in terms of advancements in space they sure are structurally ahead of us currently.

publiusr August 29 2013 11:36 PM

Re: China to land rover on Moon by end of this year
 
China is doing all kinds of things these days
http://blogs.the-american-interest.c...arctic-voyage/

They are even talking about their own HLLV, the CZ-9
http://www.americaspace.com/?p=22881

BTW it looks like there will be an RD-180 ban
http://www.spacepolitics.com/


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.