The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Need to identify British Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=223966)

Sindatur August 28 2013 12:39 AM

Need to identify British Series
 
Hi All,

Looking for the name of a British Series. A Married man chases a ball down an alley and ends up in the Blitz, gets a girlfriend, gets married, and then it gets complicated? My mom hasn't seen it in over 12 years (And may be a lot older?)

Anyways, she asked me to check into what it was called. HELP...

3chordboy August 28 2013 12:43 AM

Re: Need to identify British Series
 
Quote:

Sindatur wrote: (Post 8564791)
Hi All,

Looking for the name of a British Series. A Married man chases a ball down an alley and ends up in the Blitz, gets a girlfriend, gets married, and then it gets complicated? My mom hasn't seen it in over 12 years (And may be a lot older?)

Anyways, she asked me to check into what it was called. HELP...

Goodnight Sweetheart?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodnig...art_(TV_series)

MacLeod August 28 2013 12:50 AM

Re: Need to identify British Series
 
I would agree with that suggestion.

Sindatur August 28 2013 01:20 AM

Re: Need to identify British Series
 
Quote:

3chordboy wrote: (Post 8564797)
Quote:

Sindatur wrote: (Post 8564791)
Hi All,

Looking for the name of a British Series. A Married man chases a ball down an alley and ends up in the Blitz, gets a girlfriend, gets married, and then it gets complicated? My mom hasn't seen it in over 12 years (And may be a lot older?)

Anyways, she asked me to check into what it was called. HELP...

Goodnight Sweetheart?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodnig...art_(TV_series)


Quote:

MacLeod wrote: (Post 8564809)
I would agree with that suggestion.

Yes, Thank You. I called her and read the Wikipedia page to her, and she's positive that's it. :bolian:

Thanks a bunch guys. I almost resorted to the Wikipedia page of "Scifi Series with Time Travel" and not knowing the series myself, I woulda had to click into many to read their premises, which coulda taken forever. (...And... who knows if it's even listed) :techman::techman:

Guy Gardener August 28 2013 03:41 AM

Re: Need to identify British Series
 
Your mum is going to get half way through and then start screaming but you won't know how to console her.

They recast his wives.

Sindatur August 28 2013 04:52 AM

Re: Need to identify British Series
 
Quote:

Guy Gardener wrote: (Post 8565574)
Your mum is going to get half way through and then start screaming but you won't know how to console her.

They recast his wives.

I noticed in the IMDB credits, there's two women (The two names who are his wives) with the last name of Sparrow, and then there is another pair of actresses with only the first names of the wives, not credited with the last name. I was wondering if one of his time traveling jaunts might switch him to another reality for the rest of the show or if they address it at all?

Guy Gardener August 28 2013 05:27 AM

Re: Need to identify British Series
 
It's all behind the scenes. No need to call the time cops. :)

The further you get into the series, you kinda forget how awful a human being Gary is for all the bigamy.

Gov Kodos August 28 2013 05:56 AM

Re: Need to identify British Series
 
Seeing as Yvonne isn't born yet in the 40's, and Phoebe isn't being dated in the 90's is it really cheating?

Guy Gardener August 28 2013 06:01 AM

Re: Need to identify British Series
 
And that's mr Sparrow's argument as well.

But in the 6 years that this was on, you don't think that there was timey whimey shennigans in play?

Gov Kodos August 28 2013 06:24 AM

Re: Need to identify British Series
 
Depends, but I'm a sucker for this stuff.

Starkers August 28 2013 09:07 AM

Re: Need to identify British Series
 
I loved that show, though in hindsight morally it was somewhat suspect! Really Gary belonged with Phoebe, his releationship with his 90s wife was clearly not as deep.

I can't recall how it ended, I may have stopped watching before then. I think its best years were when ~Dervla Kirwin was still in it.

Ethros August 28 2013 09:11 AM

Re: Need to identify British Series
 
I also thought the ethics of this show were highly dubious, especially for a mid 90s BBC1 Sunday night (IIRC) family shitcom.
Not only does a married man 'have it away' but he keeps it up, marries her, and gets her pregnant. The whole time COMPLETELY lying his arse off to everybody, except his 90s mate.

As for the whole "oh its in the past so that's ok" well I'd like to see most people's reaction to finding out their husband or wife had been having an ongoing illicit affair behind their backs, I don't think they'd be that happy about it, time portal or no time portal.

... I know it was only a sitcom but I'm just saying

Guy Gardener August 28 2013 09:33 AM

Re: Need to identify British Series
 
The show clearly said that he was scum.

The Fat friend, Ron, reminded him that he was scum constantly.

Gary apologised for being scum constantly, and then continued on somehow deluding himself into thinking that he had the superior moral hand.

There was humour in how deluded he was.

Wintertainment August 28 2013 09:45 AM

Re: Need to identify British Series
 
playing a time travelling bigamist was nicholas lyndhursts ploy to stop people calling him Rodney.

it didn't work.

Guy Gardener August 28 2013 10:02 AM

Re: Need to identify British Series
 
I've got the Piglet Files in my watch soon pile.

Oh... What about this?

Rock and Chips?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.