The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   What's Bones Talking About? (Possible Spoiler) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=223681)

Praetor August 25 2013 02:26 AM

What's Bones Talking About? (Possible Spoiler)

I apologize if this has been discussed and I missed it, but this struck me in rewatching this today.

What's wrong with Kirk?

When McCoy is reprimanding Kirk for missing his exam, he makes it seem more than routine. "You are not okay." Then, when Kirk is revived at the end, the two have the little "Then that means..." exchange.

So, what's wrong with Kirk?

Gsam August 25 2013 03:13 AM

Re: What's Bones Talking About? (Possible Spoiler)

I'm only guessing here but I believe Bones is referring to the shock Jim endured with the loss of Pike. I don't think many of them besides Bones realized how close Jim and Pike were. Jim has in essence lost his "father" and that makes one not okay.

Any insight others have to offer would be great because now that this is out there I too am wondering if there was a hidden meaning other than the one I have thought of.

Gsam August 25 2013 03:20 AM

i'm not placing the ending dialogue you are referring to "then that means.." exchange. Could you please refresh my memory.

King Daniel Into Darkness August 25 2013 09:55 PM

I took it as a bit of a "don't worry folks, as you can see Jim's out of his mind with grief right now and wouldn't agree to such a mission if he were in his right mind!"

Bry_Sinclair August 26 2013 09:41 AM

Orion syphilis. He's been suffering with it since the Academy.

Scruggernaut August 26 2013 09:48 AM

Yeah, he's not okay cause he was just in a firefight and lost Pike. He's emotionally compromised.

Photoman15 August 26 2013 02:25 PM

I took it to mean that he thinks/believes that Khan's blood is running thru him. Then McCoy says he made a serum from the blood, meaning it wasn't a direct transfusion.

Praetor August 26 2013 05:11 PM

But how does any of that explain the "You're not well" bit when they're boarding the shuttle?

Friends, there's more at work here. I'll try to find and transcribe the revelant quotes later, as the internet is not assisting me at the moment.

starburst August 26 2013 05:36 PM

I took that to simply mean that Bones was worried about Kirk as he had just been in a firefight, one which he saw his mentor and many others die...

If there was any more to it I look forward to learning about it in a couple of weeks when my DVD arrives.

Trevacious August 28 2013 06:44 PM

I presume there's no Counselor Troi sort aboard, so keeping tabs on the Captain's psychological health is McCoy's side-job.

Praetor August 28 2013 06:58 PM

Eh, you may be right. I still haven't had a chance to find the exact lines used in the scenes.

Enterprise is Great August 28 2013 07:12 PM

Man, I gotta rewatch this thing. I don't even recall the line. September 10th hurry up!

CaptainDave1701 August 30 2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Enterprise is Great wrote: (Post 8568031)
Man, I gotta rewatch this thing. I don't even recall the line. September 10th hurry up!

I do and I kept waiting for a resolution to this to come into play in the film but it did not. It really got my attention that hard and I kept waiting for it to develop as part of the film plot but it did not. :confused:

Praetor August 30 2013 08:25 PM

I'm relieved to hear there's at least one other person who heard it the way I did.

talfe'anhar August 30 2013 08:29 PM

I can't figure out what you all are talking about. What line? And I don't recall anything like that in the scene where he wakes up. Are we watching the same movie? I do remember all the references to his levels being off, and he needs to calm down, etc.