The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Star Trek: The Animated Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=223519)

DoctorZ August 23 2013 08:41 AM

Star Trek: The Animated Series
 
Just out of curiosity, how come this forum doesn't have a dedicated sub-forum to Star Trek The Animated Series?

Maurice August 23 2013 08:58 AM

Re: Star Trek: The Animated Series
 
It's been asked a number of times. It would be a very dead forum for the most part, as it's not broadly watched, and it also fits pretty neatly under the umbrella of the original series.

DoctorZ August 23 2013 09:01 AM

Re: Star Trek: The Animated Series
 
I've never watched it aside from a couple of episodes as a kid. However, I just bought the entire series on DVD, so I plan on finally getting it watched.

Mario de Monti August 23 2013 09:55 AM

Re: Star Trek: The Animated Series
 
Quote:

Maurice wrote: (Post 8544568)
It would be a very dead forum for the most part, as it's not broadly watched, and it also fits pretty neatly under the umbrella of the original series.

I guess you´re right on both points there.

Quote:

DoctorZ wrote: (Post 8544577)
I've never watched it aside from a couple of episodes as a kid. However, I just bought the entire series on DVD, so I plan on finally getting it watched.

I only know the Tribbles epsiode (from the TOS blu-ray) and am still hesitant to purchase the DVD set. But as a (quasi) continuation of TOS I probably won´t get around it forever ;)

Warped9 August 23 2013 02:51 PM

Re: Star Trek: The Animated Series
 
I don't feel it has the re-watchability of the live-action episodes. There are some genuinely good stories in TAS, and some interesting ideas and elements, but it just doesn't have the depth and layers of the live-action episodes. I think the limited animation also hurts the series in some measure.

BillJ August 23 2013 04:02 PM

Re: Star Trek: The Animated Series
 
Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8545249)
I don't feel it has the re-watchability of the live-action episodes. There are some genuinely good stories in TAS, and some interesting ideas and elements, but it just doesn't have the depth and layers of the live-action episodes. I think the limited animation also hurts the series in some measure.

Pretty much agree with everything in this post. Fun to watch, but not something I revisit very often.

Mysterion August 23 2013 04:53 PM

Re: Star Trek: The Animated Series
 
IMO, TAS is just an extension of sorts to TOS and doesn't need a seperate area.

Galileo7 August 23 2013 11:08 PM

Re: Star Trek: The Animated Series
 
Quote:

Mysterion wrote: (Post 8545765)
IMO, TAS is just an extension of sorts to TOS and doesn't need a seperate area.

Agree.:vulcan: TAS is basically the final years of TOS five year mission that was cut short by the NBC cancellation.:klingon:

Melakon August 23 2013 11:41 PM

Re: Star Trek: The Animated Series
 
They really did seem to try and present good stories, but with perhaps 22 minutes to work with, there wasn't a lot they could do for characterization.

Indysolo August 24 2013 01:00 AM

Re: Star Trek: The Animated Series
 
They're in HD on Netflix, if you subscribe.

Christopher August 24 2013 01:04 AM

Re: Star Trek: The Animated Series
 
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8548330)
They really did seem to try and present good stories, but with perhaps 22 minutes to work with, there wasn't a lot they could do for characterization.

Depends on the character. I daresay Uhura was given more to do in TAS than she was in TOS. Sulu also got to be pretty prominent.

YJAGG August 24 2013 01:46 AM

Re: Star Trek: The Animated Series
 
I have been watching it on Netflix - still really good story wise- I heard someone wanted to redo the animation using cgi

Warped9 August 24 2013 02:00 AM

Re: Star Trek: The Animated Series
 
Quote:

YJAGG wrote: (Post 8548861)
I heard someone wanted to redo the animation using cgi

Ugh! I'd rather see good quality 2D animation than faux puppets running around.

CaptPapa August 24 2013 02:17 AM

Re: Star Trek: The Animated Series
 
Quote:

DoctorZ wrote: (Post 8544577)
I've never watched it aside from a couple of episodes as a kid. However, I just bought the entire series on DVD, so I plan on finally getting it watched.

I've always enjoyed it and I hope you will too.

Happy watching!

Lance August 24 2013 02:24 AM

Re: Star Trek: The Animated Series
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 8548693)
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8548330)
They really did seem to try and present good stories, but with perhaps 22 minutes to work with, there wasn't a lot they could do for characterization.

Depends on the character. I daresay Uhura was given more to do in TAS than she was in TOS. Sulu also got to be pretty prominent.

Agreed, Christopher. By necessity they had to have a greater focus on the narrative of the episodes because they had much less screen time to tell their stories than they did in TOS, but I do think there are some sections of fandom which tend to downplay just how well TAS serviced the main characters, particularly the ones outside the 'big three'. It did a great deal more with the characters than some would have us believe. :)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.