The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Charlie X (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=223252)

Nine of Four August 20 2013 09:16 PM

Charlie X

The explosive second episode

Nine of Four August 20 2013 09:18 PM

Re: Charlie X

Does anyone think Charlie can ever be accepted into society??

BillJ August 20 2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Nine of Four wrote: (Post 8531836)
Does anyone think Charlie can ever be accepted into society??

Nope.

Greg Cox August 20 2013 09:22 PM

I'd reply but Charlie took away my face . . . .:)

Nine of Four August 20 2013 09:24 PM

But he was but a child in Human terms. In time, he could have matured.

Melakon August 20 2013 09:30 PM

Without killing everyone around him? I don't think so, with his uncontrollable temper. It's like that classic Twilight Zone story where Billy Mumy wishes people into the cornfield.

Nine of Four August 20 2013 10:08 PM

He might have matured beyond his anger issues, but his incredible na´vetÚ was what was causing it, and you don't lose your na´vetÚ by being cooped up without any outside contact for however long.

BillJ August 20 2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Nine of Four wrote: (Post 8532178)
He might have matured beyond his anger issues, but his incredible na´vetÚ was what was causing it, and you don't lose your na´vetÚ by being cooped up without any outside contact for however long.

How many people are you going to allow him to kill and maim while he matures?

Melakon August 20 2013 10:23 PM

The real problem was he wasn't just a normal human person. The Thasians had given him powers so that he could survive on their world. Those powers apparently could not be taken away, so even if he learned to be socialized, there was still the risk he could be dangerous. He could have destroyed the Enterprise as easily as he did the Antares.

Timo August 20 2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

How many people are you going to allow him to kill and maim while he matures?
Well, how about 3,429? They need not be real people, of course - surely the Thasians can arrange for simulations.

Timo Saloniemi

Shawnster August 21 2013 12:20 AM

Well, we do know how he grows up.

Melakon August 21 2013 12:56 AM

It's too bad they couldn't get Robert Walker Jr for that.

Timewalker August 21 2013 04:41 AM

Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 8531869)
I'd reply but Charlie took away my face . . . .:)

That scene is why I will never watch this episode again. It's the stuff of nightmares. That woman would have suffocated, since she had no way to breathe! My grandfather was watching it with me, and he was shocked. This was back around 1975-1976, and I still remember what he said: "That's horrible!"

Warped9 August 21 2013 05:38 AM

It is a shocking scene particularly for that era of television. Yes, she would have died rather quickly.

CommishSleer August 21 2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8533975)
It is a shocking scene particularly for that era of television. Yes, she would have died rather quickly.

Presumably medical could have inserted a breathing tube into her neck and hopefully the Thasians undid the damage.

Could any of us be trusted with Charlie X's powers. I think I would be good and benevolent for a while. You know solving world hunger, creating space ships, destroy all nuclear weapons, guns etc.
But eventually I suppose I'd be knocking off people who annoyed me once I had ultimate power. Really I'm not that bad a person but it would probably happen..:lol: