The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=223060)

Sir Rhosis August 18 2013 04:22 PM

Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar
 
Actually, belated best wishes for her 80th, which was on August 16th. Fantastically talented actress.

Sir Rhosis

Melakon August 18 2013 06:12 PM

Re: Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar
 
She made a hot looking Apache babe in 1969's MacKenna's Gold. I saw that in theaters when it came out. Since I was 18 at the time, she made quite an impression. This film is why she wasn't able to appear as Catwoman on "Batman" for some episodes.

Ted Cassidy's also in the film as an Apache bad guy, and there's a lot of big-name old stars in the film. Too bad it didn't do better box office.

scotpens August 18 2013 06:52 PM

Re: Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar
 
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8522368)
She made a hot looking Apache babe in 1969's MacKenna's Gold. I saw that in theaters when it came out. Since I was 18 at the time, she made quite an impression.

She made an even bigger impression as a sexy and strong-willed Swede in The Marriage-Go-Round (1961) with James Mason, and as Rhoda the robot in the short-lived TV sitcom My Living Doll (1964-65) starring Robert Cummings.

Greg Cox August 18 2013 08:59 PM

Re: Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar
 
Don't forget her playing the Devil (complete with horns) on an old episode of TWILIGHT ZONE.

Melakon August 18 2013 09:59 PM

Re: Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar
 
Quote:

scotpens wrote: (Post 8522518)
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8522368)
She made a hot looking Apache babe in 1969's MacKenna's Gold. I saw that in theaters when it came out. Since I was 18 at the time, she made quite an impression.

She made an even bigger impression as a sexy and strong-willed Swede in The Marriage-Go-Round (1961) with James Mason, and as Rhoda the robot in the short-lived TV sitcom My Living Doll (1964-65) starring Robert Cummings.

And don't forget her memorable but non-speaking role as Stupefyin' Jones in Li'l Abner (1959), which she'd also played in the original stage production.

http://lunafutura.com/melakon/stupefyinjones.jpg

scotpens August 18 2013 10:37 PM

Re: Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar
 
Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 8522881)
Don't forget her playing the Devil (complete with horns) on an old episode of TWILIGHT ZONE.

And a very stylish Devil at that.

http://www.hostpic.org/images/1308190306430120.png

The Devil wears Chanel! :)

Maurice August 19 2013 02:12 AM

Re: Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar
 
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8523145)
Quote:

scotpens wrote: (Post 8522518)
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8522368)
She made a hot looking Apache babe in 1969's MacKenna's Gold. I saw that in theaters when it came out. Since I was 18 at the time, she made quite an impression.

She made an even bigger impression as a sexy and strong-willed Swede in The Marriage-Go-Round (1961) with James Mason, and as Rhoda the robot in the short-lived TV sitcom My Living Doll (1964-65) starring Robert Cummings.

And don't forget her memorable but non-speaking role as Stupefyin' Jones in Li'l Abner (1959), which she'd also played in the original stage production.

http://lunafutura.com/melakon/stupefyinjones.jpg

This really requires a video clip!


Hambone August 19 2013 01:53 PM

Re: Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar
 
Quote:

Maurice wrote: (Post 8524006)
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8523145)
Quote:

scotpens wrote: (Post 8522518)
She made an even bigger impression as a sexy and strong-willed Swede in The Marriage-Go-Round (1961) with James Mason, and as Rhoda the robot in the short-lived TV sitcom My Living Doll (1964-65) starring Robert Cummings.

And don't forget her memorable but non-speaking role as Stupefyin' Jones in Li'l Abner (1959), which she'd also played in the original stage production.

http://lunafutura.com/melakon/stupefyinjones.jpg

This really requires a video clip!

I played in the pit orchestra for a performance of "L'il Abner" and it was horrible. Terrible, forgettable songs and a really thin plotline. The comic strip was pretty popular during the time and I think Broadway and Al Capp were trying to cash in. I caught part of the movie once and saw Julie Newmar's "stupefying" performance and thought, "OK, that might have saved the show."

I drop everything whenever she's on "Batman".

ZapBrannigan August 19 2013 04:04 PM

Re: Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar
 
There's a spectacular group dance number in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, but Julie was so tall she could be matched only with the tallest of the male players, and he couldn't dance worth a damn. It was a pity because Julie had a very strong dance background to go with her statuesque physique, but her dancing in the film was limited to a tiny fraction of what she could have done. Still a great film, btw.

Not everybody knows this, but Julie is also an inventor with some patented body-shaping women's undergarments to her name:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...ngderriere.gif

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...ewmarcat32.jpg

Maurice August 20 2013 07:59 AM

Re: Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar
 
Quote:

Hambone wrote: (Post 8525293)
Quote:

Maurice wrote: (Post 8524006)
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8523145)

And don't forget her memorable but non-speaking role as Stupefyin' Jones in Li'l Abner (1959), which she'd also played in the original stage production.

http://lunafutura.com/melakon/stupefyinjones.jpg

This really requires a video clip!

I played in the pit orchestra for a performance of "L'il Abner" and it was horrible. Terrible, forgettable songs and a really thin plotline. The comic strip was pretty popular during the time and I think Broadway and Al Capp were trying to cash in. I caught part of the movie once and saw Julie Newmar's "stupefying" performance and thought, "OK, that might have saved the show."

I drop everything whenever she's on "Batman".

Well, I happen to like several of the songs. "The Country's In the Very Best of Hands" is pretty funny if it's performed right. The movie sadly slices it down to bare bones.

stcanada29 August 20 2013 08:04 AM

Re: Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar
 
Gotta love that Batman catsuit! :-)

bbailey861 August 20 2013 12:09 PM

Re: Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar
 
My heart still flutters when I see her as "Stupefyin' Jones". Belated Happy Birthday!!

Hambone August 20 2013 01:26 PM

Re: Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar
 
Quote:

Maurice wrote: (Post 8529391)
Quote:

Hambone wrote: (Post 8525293)
Quote:

Maurice wrote: (Post 8524006)
This really requires a video clip!

I played in the pit orchestra for a performance of "L'il Abner" and it was horrible. Terrible, forgettable songs and a really thin plotline. The comic strip was pretty popular during the time and I think Broadway and Al Capp were trying to cash in. I caught part of the movie once and saw Julie Newmar's "stupefying" performance and thought, "OK, that might have saved the show."

I drop everything whenever she's on "Batman".

Well, I happen to like several of the songs. "The Country's In the Very Best of Hands" is pretty funny if it's performed right. The movie sadly slices it down to bare bones.

I still have nightmares about "Jubilation T. Cornpone".

BoredShipCapt'n August 20 2013 02:41 PM

Re: Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar
 
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8523145)
And don't forget her memorable but non-speaking role as Stupefyin' Jones in Li'l Abner (1959), which she'd also played in the original stage production.

http://lunafutura.com/melakon/stupefyinjones.jpg

It's hard to handle her and Leslie Parrish on the same screen... :eek: :eek:

Quote:

Hambone wrote: (Post 8529856)

I still have nightmares about "Jubilation T. Cornpone".

Unshaven and shornpone! :razz:

ToddPence August 22 2013 03:18 AM

Re: Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar
 
One of her more brilliant and memorable roles - a recurring role as Vicki Russell, the free-spirited cross country motorcycle rider on ROUTE 66.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.