The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Reoccurring Trek Stories (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=222922)

jazzstick August 16 2013 08:47 PM

Reoccurring Trek Stories

Hey!

So I watch a lot of Start Trek I mean a lot! So after many many years of watching everything, I've noticed that the same stories keep popping up. They start in TOS and go onward. They are:

The Time Travling Episode:

The crew goes back in time to fix something that has messed up their time and int he process they befriend a local who helps them. Hilarity insues when the charactors are put in a then current time back drop.

The Court Marshall Episode:

The main characters have to defend a one another from an attempt to destory the life or carrer of one of the crew members.

The Time Repeating Episode:

Two or more crew members get sucked into an anomly or other time looping causality and they have to figure out how to get out!

The Repentence Episode:

A person or memeber of a race that has wronged a crew member must face up to what they do and try to heal the damage done.

I alwas get a kick out of how the writers figure out how to re use these stories but change them up, most times it works...most times.

There are a bunch more but I'm drawing a blank, help me out here!

I know you guys have noticed this right?

Green Shirt August 16 2013 09:00 PM

Re: Reoccurring Trek Stories

Not really.

Melakon August 16 2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

jazzstick wrote: (Post 8516035)
. . .I've noticed that the same stories keep popping up. They start in TOS and go onward. . .
. . .The Time Repeating Episode:
Two or more crew members get sucked into an anomly or other time looping finonina and they have to figure out how to get out!

I don't remember this ever happening in TOS, unless you're somehow including "The City on the Edge of Forever" in this category.

Quote:

finonina
Do you mean the word "phenomena"?

jazzstick August 16 2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8516167)
Quote:

jazzstick wrote: (Post 8516035)
. . .I've noticed that the same stories keep popping up. They start in TOS and go onward. . .
. . .The Time Repeating Episode:
Two or more crew members get sucked into an anomly or other time looping finonina and they have to figure out how to get out!

I don't remember this ever happening in TOS, unless you're somehow including "The City on the Edge of Forever" in this category.

Quote:

finonina
Do you mean the word "phenomena"?

Yeah you are right, I think this story starts in TNG with the Typhon Expanse in "Cause and Effect". There's a Voyager episode with Chakotay and Janeway on a shuttle mission that's pretty much the same episode!

Yes I meant phenomena, I just missed that typo!

Lol...

Melakon August 16 2013 10:31 PM

I think the timeloop plots actually begin with TNG: We'll Always Have Paris, in its first season. There are several scenes with repeating occurrences. I recently watched ENT: Future Tense, and it has similar moments.

Gojira August 16 2013 10:32 PM

Many themes in story telling get often repeated. I don't mind as long as it is executed well.

Bad Thoughts August 16 2013 10:36 PM

Legal proceedings and repentance are staples of many TV dramas, although they can take on different meaning with Trek.

MacLeod August 16 2013 10:43 PM

Isn't there only something like 7 basic plots in storytelling. Sure you can mix and match but its all variations on the same theme(s).

Melakon August 16 2013 11:01 PM

I used to have a writing book from Writer's Digest that covered 24 different plots, some dating to the Greeks. As some of them dealt with the gods and mortals, only about a dozen are usually used in today's contemporary dramas.

Bry_Sinclair August 16 2013 11:19 PM

You forgot the VOY staple:
- Seven causes a problem/situation for the rest of the crew,
- Seven resolves a problem/situation for the rest of the crew,
- Seven "learns" something about humanity from Janeway/EMH,
- A combination of either two/all three of these elements.

:lol:

jazzstick August 17 2013 01:59 AM

Quote:

MacLeod wrote: (Post 8516524)
Isn't there only something like 7 basic plots in storytelling. Sure you can mix and match but its all variations on the same theme(s).

Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8516566)
I used to have a writing book from Writer's Digest that covered 24 different plots, some dating to the Greeks. As some of them dealt with the gods and mortals, only about a dozen are usually used in today's contemporary dramas.

Where do you find these sources????

These specificly, I know where to find the in general...

T'Girl August 17 2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 8516632)
You forgot the VOY staple:
- Seven causes a problem/situation for the rest of the crew,
- Seven resolves a problem/situation for the rest of the crew,
- Seven "learns" something about humanity from Janeway/EMH,
- A combination of either two/all three of these elements.

:lol:

And then from TNG:

- Worf recommends a intelligent course of action ... which Picard immediately ignores.
- Troi states a observation ... which is blindingly obvious.

:)

Melakon August 17 2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

jazzstick wrote: (Post 8517166)
Quote:

MacLeod wrote: (Post 8516524)

Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8516566)

Where do you find these sources????

These specificly, I know where to find the in general...

Well in my case, it was a book I once owned. But just do a Google search (or whatever search engine you choose) for 'basic plots', and you'll get about 35 million results.

CommishSleer August 17 2013 08:08 AM

Depends on how general you want to get.
Excluding DS9 for a moment, I have one plot.

A. Crew encounter alien/bad Earthperson
B. Alien/bad Earthperson causes trouble for crew
C. Crew solves problem/rectify situation and lose 0 or more crewman/crewwomen
D. Crew goes on their merry way - others may suffer but meh we don't really know them

_C_ August 18 2013 04:47 AM

I do believe the TNG episode "The Offspring" and the DS9 episode "The Begotten" tell the same story in different ways, and they're both great episodes. (And I admit I always cry when Lal and Data are saying goodbye because FEELS!)