The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Opinions on the Following McCoy Centered Books (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=222808)

Kinokima August 15 2013 04:18 PM

Opinions on the Following McCoy Centered Books

Hey guys I am interested in the following McCoy novels but reviews I've read have been kind of mixed.

I am wondering if everyone can vote for their favorite and then share any opinions they have good or bad on the books listed that you have read, thanks! :)

Christopher August 15 2013 04:53 PM

Re: Opinions on the Following McCoy Centered Books

That's a tough call. They're all good books.

Scout101 August 15 2013 04:55 PM

Of those listed, Shadows of the Sun is probably the best. I've also got a soft spot for Dreams of the Raven, which was the first Trek book I ever read. That one's a little darker in tone, though...

Christopher August 15 2013 04:58 PM

^Wow, I would've called Shadows the darkest of the four. Certainly there's some gruesome stuff in Dreams, but Shadows has the darkest ending, I think.

Reanok August 15 2013 05:14 PM

Wow! It's really hard to pick a favorite I also Like Doctor's Orders by Diane Duane and the Crucible Novel about McCoy is also really good.I really like A choice of Catastrophies & Dreams of the ravens. Also there's another McCoy novel about McCoy and his daughter Joanna Crisis on Centaurus.by Brad Ferguson

Garrovick August 15 2013 05:16 PM

I liked all 4 of the choices, but I had to go with Dreams of the Raven as my favorite in the poll. If I had to pick my all-time favorite McCoy novel, though, I'd have to go with Provenance of Shadows.

Kinokima August 15 2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Reanok wrote: (Post 8511496)
Wow! It's really hard to pick a favorite I also Like Doctor's Orders by Diane Duane and the Crucible Novel about McCoy is also really good.

The reason they are not included is because I have read them both already. :)

jpv2000 August 15 2013 11:47 PM

Dreams of the Raven from your list.

Mike_King August 16 2013 02:43 AM

I wholeheartedly agree - Provenance of Shadows would be my choice.

DorkBoy [TM] August 16 2013 02:59 AM

Quote:

Kinokima wrote: (Post 8511319)
Hey guys I am interested in the following McCoy novels but reviews I've read have been kind of mixed.

Really? Where did you see mixed reviews of these? I loved all of these books, but Shadows is maybe my favorite? (Dreams is a close second, though, I remember really liking it.)

If you like McCoy, I'd recommend all 4. :)

SantaSpock August 16 2013 03:16 AM

Quote:

Reanok wrote: (Post 8511496)
Wow! It's really hard to pick a favorite I also Like Doctor's Orders by Diane Duane and the Crucible Novel about McCoy is also really good.I really like A choice of Catastrophies & Dreams of the ravens. Also there's another McCoy novel about McCoy and his daughter Joanna Crisis on Centaurus.by Brad Ferguson

I picked Ravens. I really enjoyed that book. I've read it a couple of times.
But I haven't read the others though. :lol:

I'm put off "Doctor's Orders" by one review that said that Spock should have taken over at the first sign of trouble. I can't get over that.
I hate the Crucible series. The McCoy novel was the best though IMO.

Kinokima August 16 2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

DorkBoy [TM] wrote: (Post 8513692)
Quote:

Kinokima wrote: (Post 8511319)

Really? Where did you see mixed reviews of these? I loved all of these books, but Shadows is maybe my favorite? (Dreams is a close second, though, I remember really liking it.)

Oh places like Amazon and Good Reads. Another problem is the books get a low number of reviews so its hard to gauge the overall feelings of the book.

It looks like Shadows and Dreams are the clear favorites here though.

DorkBoy [TM] August 16 2013 01:53 PM

Yeah those are the best two of the four.

I think A Choice of Catastrophies did have kind of mixed reviews on this board now that I think of it. (Mostly positive, but kind of mixed.) A Better Man was ok but nothing really memorable. I enjoyed both of them though.

Reanok August 16 2013 03:17 PM

I like Dreams of the Raven.

Therin of Andor August 17 2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

DorkBoy [TM] wrote: (Post 8513692)

Ditto. And "Dreams of the Raven" was such a fun read!