The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Future of Trek (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Do fans want the prime timeline back? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=222676)

Beyerstein August 14 2013 05:44 AM

Do fans want the prime timeline back?

I'm just mostly wondering since they just rated Star Trek Into Darkness the worst of all the Trek movies at the Vegas con.

And, it also feel somewhat that when they did the '09 reboot, they wanted to to a big coming together of the original crew origin story, but even the writers had no real plans of what to do or where to go after that.

Dukhat August 14 2013 06:26 AM

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Quote:

Beyerstein wrote: (Post 8505973)
I'm just mostly wondering since they just rated Star Trek Into Darkness the worst of all the Trek movies at the Vegas con.

Who are Vegas con, and why should I care what they think? And really? The worst Trek movie? Even worse than TFF?

Quote:

And, it also feel somewhat that when they did the '09 reboot, they wanted to to a big coming together of the original crew origin story, but even the writers had no real plans of what to do or where to go after that.
What? Who feels that way?

And to answer your OP, this fan doesn't care if the prime timeline comes back or not. I just want to see good Star Trek in whatever form it takes.

King Daniel Into Darkness August 14 2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

The 100 fans polled at the Vegas con probably do. The other millions of Trekkies may feel differently - this one certainly does.
Quote:

Aren't you really saying that you didn't have any idea what they planned next? Take a look at the commentary track for the film, they talk about almost ending with a shot of the Botany Bay floating in space.

C.E. Evans August 14 2013 08:34 AM

There are always going to be fans of the prime universe who want it back because they were here first and carried the torch for over 40 years, immersing themselves in various aspects of it, buying merchandise, etc. Quite a few grew up with it.

But I think the majority of people don't care what universe Trek is as long as it entertains them. In that capacity, they have no more preference to the Abramsverse than they do to the prime universe and would be totally okay if Trek was all rebooted again in several years.

King Daniel Into Darkness August 14 2013 08:39 AM

I forgot to point out that the Prime universe is still there, with new adventures happening every month in the novels.

bbjeg August 14 2013 08:58 AM

The reboot was alright but I'd rather them continue with all the unexplored space they had in the Prime timeline. Maybe after the reboot they'll do an Enterprise F run, transwarping about the galaxy.

Belz... August 14 2013 10:35 AM

I sure don't. Move forward, I say.

Shaka Zulu August 14 2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

To quote The Shat, these fans need to get a life. It's time for the old continuity to go, and the new one to stay. That also means new toys and merch based on the current films, not the old ones, as Admiral Buzzkill was so angry about when posting an article he'd read about the merch and toys not being made for the current one. Star Trek needs new and younger fans to stay alive.

anh165 August 14 2013 11:32 AM

No 'prime' time line.

Alt timeline is the key to keeping the Trek franchise exciting and appealing.

I waited 20 years for that to happen.

BillJ August 14 2013 11:39 AM

I have no issues with the new timeline. But it wouldn't matter to me which timeline the stories take place in as long as they're good.

LOKAI of CHERON August 14 2013 12:21 PM

Returning to the Prime Timeline, at least in a stylistic sense, would almost certainly bury the franchise for a significant period - if not permanently. Pandering to the vocal, but extremely small, "it's not real Star Trek" sector of fandom would be commercial suicide

billcosby August 14 2013 12:23 PM

"The prime timeline called... it wants the fans back." Or something. That's all I got for ya.
Seems to me the primeline is well represented with DJ Nimoyspock dropping rhymes and beats all over the NuBoots. Apples and oranges in my Huxtable opinion.

Tosk August 14 2013 12:31 PM

Honestly, I'm happy to continue visiting the real timeline in the novels. The Trek I really love can't survive on the TV landscape of today. Or the cinema.

So the flashier one can keep pumping along, making money for everyone involved. Every so often we'll get a movie I actually like. Easy. :)

USS Firefly August 14 2013 12:32 PM

I liked the new time line, the old one is dead after Nemesis ans Enterprise.
New toys are ok but keep the novels of the old timeline going.

AviTrek August 14 2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

C.E. Evans wrote: (Post 8506222)
There are always going to be fans of the prime universe who want it back because they were here first and carried the torch for over 40 years, immersing themselves in various aspects of it, buying merchandise, etc. Quite a few grew up with it.

But I think the majority of people don't care what universe Trek is as long as it entertains them. In that capacity, they have no more preference to the Abramsverse than they do to the prime universe and would be totally okay if Trek was all rebooted again in several years.

+1

The limited number of fans at a Vegas convention want the prime timeline back. The millions of people required for the franchise to be viable in the future don't care about timelines and just want an entertaining show/movie.