The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=222388)

SiddFinch1 August 11 2013 01:11 AM

Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

So I have a ton of channels and despite having a syfy channel there I 1 channel.showing Tos one time a week; Tnt on one channel. The other treks never on. TAS..never.. No battlestar galactica..either version ..no Babylon 5..no farscape..minimal twilight zone other than new years marathon..no outerlimits..original..the one on showtime at times.. no planet if the apes tv show or cartoon..

Is it a lack of ratings? Too expensive? An attempt to sell.Dvds? The serialized nature of b5? The dated look?

TheMasterOfOrion August 11 2013 02:00 AM

Re: Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

Scifi doesn't sell at all, it can not compete with Xfactor, Seinfeld, Friends, NCIS, Fox News propaganda the al-jazeera rants and CNN propaganda, America's Got Talent, Survivor, Big Brother...and other reality tv BS.
Even the best intentioned scifi tv station will eventually change its broadcasts to documentary tv, reality tv or wrestling etc

Thank goodness for the internet and online DVDs where we can find movies, toons and scifi shows

Ho Ho Homeier August 11 2013 02:11 AM

Sci-Fi's always been a niche audience. There are brief spurts where it's popular. Early 1950's, it was Captain Video and Tom Corbett. In the 60s, Serling, Irwin Allen, and Star Trek. Early 70s, Planet of the Apes series, Logan's Run, then Star Wars hit. The rest you probably know.

Kestrel August 11 2013 02:20 AM

Grimm, Once Upon a Time (and an upcoming spinoff), Revolution, Arrow, Supernatural, The Walking Dead, Doctor Who... all shows that are currently in production that I watch, and that's just off the top of my head for what's on television right now. SHIELD starts up this fall. Since you mentioned animation, you've also got the Legend of Korra, plus Young Justice and Green Lantern just recently ended.

Space Opera is currently in a decline it's true, though there is Falling Skies which... isn't space opera, but deal with aliens anyway. But in terms of genre fiction? We're going fine.

Gaith August 11 2013 02:31 AM

Netflix has all sorts of sci-fi shows on their streaming service, not to mention their discs. And really, if you're a nerd with a few bucks to spend on basic entertainment and you don't have a Netflix subscription, what're you doing with your life? :p

bigdaddy August 11 2013 03:02 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Orphan-Black-S...s=orphan+black

:-p

DVDs are your friends. :)

Dream August 11 2013 03:15 AM

Can you at least find some Trek reruns somewhere? :p

bigdaddy August 11 2013 04:36 AM

Almost every Star Trek episode is free online, why would it need to be on TV? :)

Dream August 11 2013 04:37 AM

Quote:

bigdaddy wrote: (Post 8494363)
Almost every Star Trek episode is free online, why would it need to be on TV? :)

Netflix isn't "free".;)

MacLeod August 11 2013 10:45 AM

I think you are in the wrong country. We in the UK have something like

Doctor Who almost Daily
SG-1 Almost Daily
Stargate Atlantis almost Daily
TOS on 2 different channels almost daily
TNG almost daily
DSN almost daily
ENT almost daily
Smallville almost daily
Buffy almost daily
A Town Called Eureka
Continuum
Xena
The Lost World
Highlander

And that's just what I could find in a 2 minute seaqrch.

George Bailey August 11 2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

MacLeod wrote: (Post 8494915)
I think you are in the wrong country. We in the UK have something like

Doctor Who almost Daily
SG-1 Almost Daily
Stargate Atlantis almost Daily
TOS on 2 different channels almost daily
TNG almost daily
DSN almost daily
ENT almost daily
Smallville almost daily
Buffy almost daily
A Town Called Eureka
Continuum
Xena
The Lost World
Highlander

And that's just what I could find in a 2 minute seaqrch.

Was about to say that, and a majority of that is on free to air TV channels.

Greg Cox August 11 2013 04:30 PM

I can't help noticing that all the stuff you're asking for is reruns of old shows, like Planet of the Apes or Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica or Twilight Zone. Why not watch new sf shows like Defiance, or Falling Skies, or Continuum, or Orphan Black, or Revolution, and so on?

That you can't find dead, thirty-year-old shows airing regularly doesn't strike as me as too surprising . . . :)

Alidar Jarok August 11 2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

SiddFinch1 wrote: (Post 8493832)
1 channel.showing Tos one time a week; Tnt on one channel. The other treks never on. TAS..never..

You don't have BBC America?

George Bailey August 11 2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 8495509)
I can't help noticing that all the stuff you're asking for is reruns of old shows, like Planet of the Apes or Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica or Twilight Zone. Why not watch new sf shows like Defiance, or Falling Skies, or Continuum, or Orphan Black, or Revolution, and so on?

That you can't find dead, thirty-year-old shows airing regularly doesn't strike as me as too surprising . . . :)

Can't watch new. New sucks. Give me old, I know I like that and don't have to waste valuable time working out if I like it.

Dream August 11 2013 04:52 PM

100 channels and nothing worth watching. Overpriced cable bill. Aren't those common complaints everywhere? :lol: