The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Why the John Hurt Doctor is not considered to "really be" the Doctor (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=222094)

Noddy August 7 2013 11:35 AM

Why the John Hurt Doctor is not considered to "really be" the Doctor

What theories are there on precisely why the incarnation of the Doctor played by John Hurt is disavowed and has had his very existence hidden by subsequent Doctors? He says that he had no choice in what he did, that he did it "in the name of peace and sanity", to which Eleven responds "But not in the name of the Doctor." Judging from what I've heard about the trailer shown at Comic-Con, it seems to be shaping up that the Hurt Doctor fought in the Time War, and it's been speculated that the reason he's been forgotten is his genocide of the Time Lords. But I don't think that can be it, as the Doctor has never denied what he did in the new series. I think it could be because of some other atrocity he committed in the Time War, when he was fighting on the side of Gallifrey. What do the rest of us think?

Green Lantern August 7 2013 12:24 PM

Re: Why the John Hurt Doctor is not considered to "really be" the Doct

Maybe he betrayed the timelords and at once point sided with the daleks? From what I heard about what the time lords would have done in The End of Time, it sounded like they were the bad guys. Maybe he killed a someone dear to him to save the universe from the time lords or something.

Allyn Gibson August 7 2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Noddy wrote: (Post 8480563)
He says that he had no choice in what he did, that he did it "in the name of peace and sanity", to which Eleven responds "But not in the name of the Doctor." [SNIP] I think it could be because of some other atrocity he committed in the Time War, when he was fighting on the side of Gallifrey. What do the rest of us think?

The John Hurt Doctor retired and became the president of the Eoghan Quigg fan club. Later Doctors were so embarrassed by this that they no longer consider him worthy of the title Doctor.

Noddy August 7 2013 12:49 PM

I reckon it could be because, while the subsequent Doctors all felt strong guilt and shame over what had been done, the Hurt Doctor doesn't, and feels entirely justified in his actions. His attitude could be a Spock-type "Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" logic, which some might argue can be pretty callous.

od0_ital August 7 2013 01:00 PM

So, I'm not the only one thinkin' the John Hurt Doctor is an older version of the 8th Doctor?

intrinsical August 7 2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

od0_ital wrote: (Post 8480689)
So, I'm not the only one thinkin' the John Hurt Doctor is an older version of the 8th Doctor?

And anger the handful of 8th Doctor fans? I don't think BBC is that callous. Besides, I think someone on the production team (Moffat?) had said John Hurt's reincarnation is between 8th and 9th Doctors.

captain crow August 7 2013 04:42 PM

Hurt iz not for realz Doktor be cause thats wood cauze teh Whoo fandumb to go "OH NOES!1!!!11!!11 CANNON VIOLASHIONZ!!!111!!1!1". :wah::wah::(:wah::(

Hurt is actually Rani in dis guyz anded implaneted in2 realz Doktor's brian. Realz Doktor will get ride of her by pooping her out during regenerashions at ended of X-mas spezial!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Davros August 7 2013 09:03 PM

maybe he is supposed to be the Peter Cushing Doctor

Captaindemotion August 7 2013 09:11 PM

I'm starting to think that maybe they missed a trick by not having John Hurt play Dr Simeon/The Great Intelligence and having Richard E. Grant play the unexplained (not)Doctor. It might have been a cool way of bringing the Shalka into official continuity.

Sindatur August 7 2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Captaindemotion wrote: (Post 8482561)
I'm starting to think that maybe they missed a trick by not having John Hurt play Dr Simeon/The Great Intelligence and having Richard E. Grant play the unexplained (not)Doctor. It might have been a cool way of bringing the Shalka into official continuity.

Yea, that would be most cool. I was very interested in seeing more travelling with "The Master" as his companion.

Captaindemotion August 7 2013 09:34 PM

Could they even have reconciled the Shalka's Master - voiced by Derek Jabobi - with the new series' Master/Prof Yana - played by Derek Jacobi? Maybe too fanwanky!

Sindatur August 7 2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Captaindemotion wrote: (Post 8482666)
Could they even have reconciled the Shalka's Master - voiced by Derek Jabobi - with the new series' Master/Prof Yana - played by Derek Jacobi? Maybe too fanwanky!

Well, The Doctor's Companion "The Master" robot, didn't look like Derek Jacoby (He looked like Traditional Master with Goatee), so, that little detail could just be ignored, no?

Captaindemotion August 7 2013 09:41 PM

^Havent actually seen SOTS, so I didn't know that. It was just a thought. All academic anyway, I suppose.

The Wormhole August 7 2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Noddy wrote: (Post 8480563)
I think it could be because of some other atrocity he committed in the Time War, when he was fighting on the side of Gallifrey. What do the rest of us think?

That's basically what I'm leaning towards. The Time Lords likely committed some unspeakably atrocities during the Time War which the Hurt Doctor likely went along with and may even have helped them with a few of them. This likely shames the other Doctors.

Herkimer Jitty August 8 2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

captain crow wrote: (Post 8481319)
Hurt iz not for realz Doktor be cause thats wood cauze teh Whoo fandumb to go "OH NOES!1!!!11!!11 CANNON VIOLASHIONZ!!!111!!1!1". :wah::wah::(:wah::(

Hurt is actually Rani in dis guyz anded implaneted in2 realz Doktor's brian. Realz Doktor will get ride of her by pooping her out during regenerashions at ended of X-mas spezial!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Scintillating.