The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Alternate history tv shows (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=222001)

Jiangnan Freak August 6 2013 04:49 PM

Alternate history tv shows
 
Are there any out there?

What would you like to see? I would love to see something taking place in alternate Japan under Mongol occupation.

Mysterion August 6 2013 04:52 PM

Re: Alternate history tv shows
 
Well, there was Sliders. It was pretty-much all AH all the time, but with varying degrees of success. and there was an adaption of the novel Fatherland that aired on HBO (or was it Showtime?), which depicted a world where the Germans had a better time of WW2.

Then, of course, there are TV show from alternate timelines:

Adam-12
Popular science fiction series which ran on NBC from 1969-75 starring Kent McCord as Adam-12, a clone who must hunt-down and stop the first eleven Adams who are dangerous psycopaths due to a flawed cloning process. He is aided in his mission by the streetwise lab technician who has befrinded him (Martin Milner). The final episode where Adam-12 finally meets his creator (portrayed by Jack Webb) never aired on television and was unseen until the series was released on DVD in 2003.

:)

Mistral August 6 2013 05:43 PM

Re: Alternate history tv shows
 
Quote:

Mysterion wrote: (Post 8477056)
Well, there was Sliders. It was pretty-much all AH all the time, but with varying degrees of success. and there was an adaption of the novel Fatherland that aired on HBO (or was it Showtime?), which depicted a world where the Germans had a better time of WW2.

Then, of course, there are TV show from alternate timelines:

Adam-12
Popular science fiction series which ran on NBC from 1969-75 starring Kent McCord as Adam-12, a clone who must hunt-down and stop the first eleven Adams who are dangerous psycopaths due to a flawed cloning process. He is aided in his mission by the streetwise lab technician who has befrinded him (Martin Milner). The final episode where Adam-12 finally meets his creator (portrayed by Jack Webb) never aired on television and was unseen until the series was released on DVD in 2003.

:)

I would have loved that show. But I was born in the wrong universe. In my universe, Adam-12 (Kent McCord) was an android who thought he was a man with amnesia. It wasn't until the final episode of season one that he discovers he's not human. Befriended by a world-weary, alcoholic biologist(Martin Milner), he sets out on a quest to find the truth behind the mysterious "Rampart Project" that created him. Although the series ran until '75, it really went to hell in '73 when the network introduced a comic relief character, Boxy, played by Randolph Mantooth. After that it was a pale and poorly-written shadow of its former self.

Vendikarr August 6 2013 06:05 PM

Re: Alternate history tv shows
 
Quote:

Jiangnan Freak wrote: (Post 8477044)
Are there any out there?

What would you like to see? I would love to see something taking place in alternate Japan under Mongol occupation.

If we were to expand this to discuss Alternate History show we would like to see, I would love to see a Guns of the South miniseries.

But none of the networks out there have the guts to put money into a project whose description would include the words 'The South / Confederacy win the Civil War'

Silvercrest August 6 2013 06:20 PM

Re: Alternate history tv shows
 
Quote:

Mistral wrote: (Post 8477248)
Quote:

Mysterion wrote: (Post 8477056)
Well, there was Sliders. It was pretty-much all AH all the time, but with varying degrees of success. and there was an adaption of the novel Fatherland that aired on HBO (or was it Showtime?), which depicted a world where the Germans had a better time of WW2.

Then, of course, there are TV show from alternate timelines:

Adam-12
Popular science fiction series which ran on NBC from 1969-75 starring Kent McCord as Adam-12, a clone who must hunt-down and stop the first eleven Adams who are dangerous psycopaths due to a flawed cloning process. He is aided in his mission by the streetwise lab technician who has befrinded him (Martin Milner). The final episode where Adam-12 finally meets his creator (portrayed by Jack Webb) never aired on television and was unseen until the series was released on DVD in 2003.

:)

I would have loved that show. But I was born in the wrong universe. In my universe, Adam-12 (Kent McCord) was an android who thought he was a man with amnesia. It wasn't until the final episode of season one that he discovers he's not human. Befriended by a world-weary, alcoholic biologist(Martin Milner), he sets out on a quest to find the truth behind the mysterious "Rampart Project" that created him. Although the series ran until '75, it really went to hell in '73 when the network introduced a comic relief character, Boxy, played by Randolph Mantooth. After that it was a pale and poorly-written shadow of its former self.

I always preferred "CHiPs", which was about a couple of L.A. motorcycle cops with experimental microchips implanted in their brains. They were equipped with high-tech motorcycles that could do all sorts of cool stuff. The comic relief was their long-suffering sergeant, Joe Getraer, and Harlan, the technician who maintained their implants.

Allyn Gibson August 6 2013 06:22 PM

Re: Alternate history tv shows
 
The Blackadder (the first series, that is) is an alternate history. :)

Mysterion August 7 2013 12:09 AM

Re: Alternate history tv shows
 
Well done Mistral and Silvercrest!

Tell you what, Milner and McCord sure seem to end up together in a lot of different timelines:

Quote:

NBC Television Press Release, 31 August 1968:

NBC is proud to announce a new series from producer Jack Webb, set to premire on the network this fall.

"Gitmo" is a one-hour dramatic series set in the exciting world of US Marine Peacekeepers in Free Cuba. The series stars Martin Milner as Staff Sergeant Pete Malloy, and Kent McChord as his partner Corporal Jim Reed. We will follow Malloy and Reed as they patrol the streets and villages of Cuba working to ensure the ongoing freedom of the recently liberated Cuban population, and guarding against rebel communist insurgents. Webb promises a "realistic and uplifting portrayal of our fine American fighting men who serve on the vanguard of freedom".

"Gitmo" will air Tuesday nights at 8pm, 7pm Central.

sojourner August 7 2013 12:45 AM

Re: Alternate history tv shows
 
Those are some weird versions of Adam-12 guys.

The version I saw starred Kent McCord as Adam, the latest attempt to populate a new colony known as Earth 12. With his mate Eve, played by Martina Milner, He faced the trials and tribulations of taming a new alien world with only the barest of resources. It was a great show until the last half of season 3 when the intelligent aliens were discovered and Eve gave birth to the advanced child with super powers.

Silvercrest August 7 2013 03:39 AM

Re: Alternate history tv shows
 
Martina Milner????

Sorry guys, that's too weird for me. I'm going back to Earth-Prime.

DonIago August 7 2013 03:55 AM

Re: Alternate history tv shows
 
I don't know what this thread is on, but I want some!

chardman August 7 2013 04:11 AM

Re: Alternate history tv shows
 
All these sci-fi/alternate history versions of "Adam 12" got me thinking: Anyone else think that the makers of "Predator 2" blew an opportunity by naming Kent McCord's character "Captain B. Pilgrim" (an Easter egg in itself) instead of "Captain Jim Reed" after his Adam-12 character?

FreezeC77 August 7 2013 12:35 PM

Re: Alternate history tv shows
 
Quote:

chardman wrote: (Post 8479915)
All these sci-fi/alternate history versions of "Adam 12" got me thinking: Anyone else think that the makers of "Predator 2" blew an opportunity by naming Kent McCord's character "Captain B. Pilgrim" (an Easter egg in itself) instead of "Captain Jim Reed" after his Adam-12 character?

Could be copyright reasons. Like how Tom Paris isn't named Nick Lacarno... Although it would have been more costly for Voyager since it wasn't a one-time deal and every episode they'd have to pay royalties to the writers.

I always thought it would have been awesome if the Dad from Family Matters was playing his Die Hard cop character Al Powell instead of Carl Winslow... but I guess that would have had them pay royalties every episode.

An episode of Chuck did let him be "Al Powell" for a guest appearance, but since it was a one-shot deal I think it would have just been a payment for that one time use.

Star Wolf August 7 2013 03:40 PM

Re: Alternate history tv shows
 
Quote:

Jiangnan Freak wrote: (Post 8477044)
Are there any out there?

.

Kings, the events of Biblical Israel are happening now. It lasted half a season and we got the story of King David from the battle with Goliath until he went in exile fleeing King Saul. I would much rather see another story done by this team then Roma Downey doing more stories in the next The Bible miniseries.

Remember Dark Skies that ran for one year where the major events of the 60s where influenced by an alien conspiracy. Colin Powell even showed up as the designated gunman army back up in one episode.

In The War of The Worlds the events in the radio play and the original movie actually happened but some kind of global amnesia hit a few remember the full scale invasion and the Orsen Wells play is remembered as that.

A full scale what if another side won and lets take up from there. I can't think of

Mr. Adventure August 7 2013 07:23 PM

Re: Alternate history tv shows
 
Star Trek TOS has sort of become this over the years, if unintentionally.

Mysterion August 7 2013 10:28 PM

Re: Alternate history tv shows
 
A perennial favorite of late-night cable TV:

Quote:

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
(RKO, 1946)

Archeologist "Indy" Jones (Jimmy Stewart) and his girlfriend Marion (June Allyson) and sidekick Sallah (Orson Welles) undertake a quest to find the Ark of The Covenant before the Nazis do. Directed by John Ford (under protest and contractual obligation), Raiders continues to be a fan-favorite despite it's obvious low-budget back-lot locations. The film does feature some innovative special effects work by Ray Harryhausen (although there is an obvious pane of glass separating Stewart from a snake in one scene). Look for some interesting supporting performances by Peter Lorre as the Gestapo Agent Major Toht, and Claude Raines as Indy's rival Dr. Belloq. Despite the film's age and flaws, many find it to be superior to Steven Spielberg's 1981 re-make starring Tom Selleck as Jones and Sean Young as Marion.

(Excerpted with permission from "The Ultimate Movie Guide" by Roger Ebert (1999, Schuster & Simon, New Amsterdam)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.