The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Carol Marcus' British accent (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=221863)

Noddy August 5 2013 11:42 AM

Carol Marcus' British accent

Was any explanation given as to why Carol has a British accent in STID, whereas in TWOK, she was definitely American?

Christopher August 5 2013 11:55 AM

Re: Carol Marcus' British accent

^We were shown that Admiral Marcus worked for Section 31, which had an office in London. It's simple to assume he thus lived in England when his daughter was born and raised. Clearly the Prime universe's Marcus family did not live in England. Carol was born after the timeline split, so there's no reason she couldn't have had a different upbringing from day one. After all, this Carol is in Starfleet while Carol Prime is a civilian. So clearly her life is different.

The real-world reason is that, although the filmmakers tested Eve with an American accent, they decided to go with her natural accent because they felt it helped sell her as a scientist. To Americans, English accent = smart.

LOKAI of CHERON August 5 2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 8471314)
To Americans, English accent = smart.

And to me, her accent is damn sexy!

Smellmet August 5 2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

^We were shown that Admiral Marcus worked for Section 31, which had an office in London. It's simple to assume he thus lived in England when his daughter was born and raised. Clearly the Prime universe's Marcus family did not live in England. Carol was born after the timeline split, so there's no reason she couldn't have had a different upbringing from day one. After all, this Carol is in Starfleet while Carol Prime is a civilian. So clearly her life is different.

The real-world reason is that, although the filmmakers tested Eve with an American accent, they decided to go with her natural accent because they felt it helped sell her as a scientist. To Americans, English accent = smart.

Excellent explanation - couldn't have worded it better myself

DalekJim August 5 2013 01:50 PM

The same reason Khan had a British accent, I guess?

Franklin August 5 2013 01:57 PM

How do we know she was definitely American in TWOK? (For that matter, how do you know she's British in STID? ;) )

The teenage children of several Brits I know here in the US have lived here so long they've completely lost their British accents.

JarodRussell August 5 2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

That is so sad.

Did Americans become dumber between the 1980s and 2010s?

The Wormhole August 5 2013 02:04 PM

I just assumed that in the Abramsverse she spent more time around her British mother growing up and in the Prime Universe her father had more of a presence in her life. Hell without the looming threat of a Romulan space octopus that could destroy planets, maybe Alex Marcus Prime wasn't as career driven and eventually retired from Starfleet to focus on a family life?

Christopher August 5 2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

DalekJim wrote: (Post 8471563)
The same reason Khan had a British accent, I guess?

It makes far more sense for a man from India to speak English with a British accent than it does for him to speak it with a Mexican accent.

CorporalClegg August 5 2013 08:02 PM

There are myriad reasons why she might have a different accent, non really needing an explanation.

And, yeah, Eve's accent is sexy as hell.

Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 8471620)

Actually...

MacLeod August 5 2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Franklin wrote: (Post 8471593)
How do we know she was definitely American in TWOK? (For that matter, how do you know she's British in STID? ;) )

The teenage children of several Brits I know here in the US have lived here so long they've completely lost their British accents.

Quite true. She could have been British in TWOK just she was rasied say in the USA.

But as someone has already the changed timeline could have any number of consequences. After all Kirk was born in Iowa in the Prime universe on a starhip in the JJverse. No reason as to why someone could be born in the US in the prime universe and the UK in the JJVerse.

Besides she has a nice voice.

Shatinator August 5 2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 8471620)
Quote:

That is so sad.

YES! :vulcan:

F. King Daniel August 5 2013 08:35 PM

I read somewhere that there was a deleted scene where she says she was raised in London. It's probably still in the novelization, if anyone's read it.

EDIT: He we go!

Still, there are major differences in the two versions of the character – most notably the addition of Eve’s English accent. In fact, Abrams was so concerned that the change would be a sticking point (Marcus had an American accent in the original series), he actually shot an expository scene where the character explains her own backstory – a scene that was eventually cut:

Alice Eve: There was one scene that we shot that didn’t
make it into the film. That was about me explaining why I had an English accent; my mother moved to England when my father stayed in San Francisco to run Starfleet. I think that JJ felt that plot point wasn’t necessary and that you didn’t question it beyond the first moment. I think that made sense and we had a certain license with the split timeline.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-into...ice-eve/all/1/

Shatinator August 5 2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: (Post 8473336)
I read somewhere that there was a deleted scene where she says she was raised in London. It's probably still in the novelization, if anyone's read it.

I love alternate takes and liberties found in novelizations..
i wonder if she grew up near a blue police box ;)

MacLeod August 5 2013 08:51 PM

Alice Eve as a compainion of the Doctor could work.