The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Now that we know the new Doctor...what´s going to change? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=221854)

FreddyE August 5 2013 07:15 AM

Now that we know the new Doctor...what´s going to change?

Now that we know who will be playing the next Doctor, what do you think will change?

I feel the tone of the show will change the most drastically since the beginning of NuWho.

I suspect they will downplay the Doctors whimsical, funny nature quite a lot. He will probably be a much more brooding, no nonsense Doctor. I actually can see him as beeing pretty strict, sullen and sometimes harsh. I bet Clara will have to "work on him" for most of his first season to get him to mellow a bit.

Don´t feel this is going to be a "long" incarnation. Two seasons maybe.

theonering August 5 2013 07:42 AM

Re: Now that we know the new Doctor...what´s going to change?

I'd be fine with the changes you hypothesized. If for no other reason than it's time for a bit of a change in feel of the doctor.

As much as I enjoyed the Tennant and Smith runs (and to a lesser extent Eccleston's). I'd worry that the extremely manic, "nutty professor" schtick might be getting a bit repetitive if it continues with Capaldi's doctor.

Starkers August 5 2013 08:47 AM

At the end of the day people expected Eccleston to be darker and more serious than he actually was, so I still expect some whimsy in Capaldi's Doctor (and would he be the Doctor without it?). I imagine he will be less manic, but until we see how he takes the role who can say.

Avon August 5 2013 08:57 AM

dalek voice:

"SPECULATE! SPEC!!U!!LATE!!!"

Tulin August 5 2013 09:21 AM

Thank Christ we finally have a doctor who is not a zygote!!!!

Guy Gardener August 5 2013 09:33 AM

Lots of bare chested Venusian jiu-jitsu?

Imagine nunchucks built out of old sonic screw drivers.

And baby oil, lots of baby oil..

Herkimer Jitty August 5 2013 10:30 AM

The Doctor's new catchphrase will not be "Geronimo!", but rather "Fuckity Bye!"

Mitty August 5 2013 12:25 PM

Even though it's a big symbol of the show, and even though I love it to death, I actually hope they get rid of the sonic screwdriver. I'm kind of over it.

MrPointy August 5 2013 12:42 PM

What's going to change? Malcolm Tucker/Doctor Who mashup videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Blf073f2Lc

I hope Peter Capaldi being cast is a way for Moffat to change the tone of his current Dr. Who from the fairy-tale/fantasy vibe of the Smith era to something else.

Mr Light August 5 2013 12:47 PM

I can only assume we'll be getting a more serious and mature Doctor now. Much as I love all the Doctors it will be a nice change.

Ar-Pharazon August 5 2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Mitty wrote: (Post 8471353)
Even though it's a big symbol of the show, and even though I love it to death, I actually hope they get rid of the sonic screwdriver. I'm kind of over it.

Wasn't it around Davison that they got rid of it the first time? Something about it being too much of a crutch.

They had no idea.

I wouldn't mind it being used a lot less for every single thing imaginable.

P0sitr0nic August 5 2013 01:15 PM

The sonic is too merchandizable. It sells.

If anything we will see more of its red setting, with a new toy version for sale with red...

Australis August 5 2013 01:23 PM

So, older guy travelling the universe with young tottie. Hmm, can't see it m'self. Older tottie, maybe. :)

Emh August 5 2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Ar-Pharazon wrote: (Post 8471437)
Quote:

Mitty wrote: (Post 8471353)

Wasn't it around Davison that they got rid of it the first time? Something about it being too much of a crutch.

They had no idea.

I wouldn't mind it being used a lot less for every single thing imaginable.

Yes, JNT got rid of it in The Visititation and it didn't return until the Doctor Who movie.

I also want it to disappear but it sells to well as merchandise for the BBC, so alas it's not going anywhere.

The Mirrorball Man August 5 2013 02:13 PM

Capaldi can play anything, there is no way to know what kind of Doctor he's going to be. That being said, my bet is on an abrasive curmudgeon type, a Gregory House Doctor.