The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Productions (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=221515)

Admiral Archer August 2 2013 07:13 AM

Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...
 
Hey, I have a very serious question about one of the non-profit fan films titled "Of Gods and Men". Specifically, the soundtrack, which is now for sale (:wtf:!?) has a track titled "End Credits" which contains, however slightly remixed, the theme from "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" by Jerry Goldsmith. My question is, how is this legal? The author of the music did not even say "Contains Theme from 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' by Jerry Goldsmith" within a footnote or anything. Granted, the track is a slight remix, but I feel the artist should have credited the late composer. And while I'm at it, does he at least have permission from CBS or the owner to the rights to Jerry Goldsmith's music to do this? As a loyal fan of the late Mr. Goldsmith, I would be appalled to find out that someone is blatantly ripping off his music and calling it their own (which this artist appears to be doing, though I admit I hope I am wrong). So now my final question: how do I alert CBS or whomever holds the rights to Jerry Goldsmith's music that someone is not only selling remixes of their property, but not even crediting the true artist? My sincerest apologies to the artist if he does indeed have the rights to use the music, but I still feet a footnote to credit Jerry Goldsmith should be included. After all, Mr. Goldsmith was sure to credit Alexander Courage in the films featuring the TOS fanfare*, even if they were remixes. The same tradition should still hold true today.


*Alexander Courage's music was also featured in the same track, yet just as it was with Jerry Goldsmith, his name did not appear in a footnote. Both artists deserve better.

Maurice August 2 2013 09:52 AM

Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...
 
Trek music is used so often without permission it's not even funny. In general when people mention reporting music piracy, I suggest starting at a site like this (link).

Admiral Archer August 2 2013 11:33 AM

Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...
 
I suppose I should explain my stance. I am fine with licensed Star Trek music being used for NON PROFIT. I have observed many fans using songs directly taken from existing film soundtracks (such as Star Trek: Valkyrie intro on youtube using the end credits music from "Star Trek: First Contact" and "Star Trek: Nemesis") and I actually don't care that the music is from a copyrighted source, because it is non profit. Also, I have no problem with such videos so long as they take time to credit the original artist (again, Star Trek: Valkyrie comes to mind, due to the fact that they at least credit Jerry Goldsmith, who did the themes used in the video). What disturbs me about this artist is that A) he is claiming HE wrote the music, without giving credit to the original artist, and B) he is making a profit off of it.

wjaspers August 2 2013 08:49 PM

Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...
 
Quote:

Admiral Archer wrote: (Post 8458096)
So now my final question: how do I alert CBS or whomever holds the rights to Jerry Goldsmith's music that someone is not only selling remixes of their property, but not even crediting the true artist?

This is a joke, right?

Do not know how things go in the US, but in europe you could try the Gestapo or the Stasi. Sorry, my mistake, they are out of business now.

Anyhow, look this and scroll down: http://www.edgen.com/ogam/

Tom August 2 2013 09:13 PM

Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...
 
If you have any other issues with STOGAM please PM me.

Captain Atkin August 2 2013 10:03 PM

Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...
 
Quote:

Admiral Archer wrote: (Post 8458555)
I suppose I should explain my stance. I am fine with licensed Star Trek music being used for NON PROFIT. I have observed many fans using songs directly taken from existing film soundtracks (such as Star Trek: Valkyrie intro on youtube using the end credits music from "Star Trek: First Contact" and "Star Trek: Nemesis") and I actually don't care that the music is from a copyrighted source, because it is non profit. Also, I have no problem with such videos so long as they take time to credit the original artist (again, Star Trek: Valkyrie comes to mind, due to the fact that they at least credit Jerry Goldsmith, who did the themes used in the video). What disturbs me about this artist is that A) he is claiming HE wrote the music, without giving credit to the original artist, and B) he is making a profit off of it.

I just listened to the track. It has a few notes that are similar to the TMP track, but it is not 'note-for-note'. There are very obvious differences between the two. I think it is safe to say that it was done as a homage to the original series. It is meant to invoke the feel of the original series, without using the original music.

Nevertheless, the artist DID credit Jerry Goldsmith on his website:

________________________________________

Note: It has come to my attention that I did not properly credit Jerry Goldsmith for his work in the themes and for this I truly apologize. When the album was first released I made sure let everyone know the track with his work was always free and credit was due. Over the years, the page has shifted somewhat.

Thank you Jerry Goldsmith for your wonderful music.

*Contains music by Jerry Goldsmith
**This is a free track and always has been.



For mroe information on the film, please visit:
http://www.justindurban.com/star-tre...-and-men-2008/

Therin of Andor August 3 2013 12:37 AM

Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...
 
Quote:

wjaspers wrote: (Post 8460412)
This is a joke, right?

Do not know how things go in the US, but in europe you could try the Gestapo or the Stasi. Sorry, my mistake, they are out of business now.

Anyhow, look this and scroll down: http://www.edgen.com/ogam/

I fail to see why you're so angry with the OP. By your own admission,

Quote:

"When the album was first released I made sure let everyone know the track with his work was always free and credit was due. Over the years, the page has shifted somewhat. "
So you've made the necessary correction or adjustment. Good.

Admiral Archer August 3 2013 02:19 AM

Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...
 
Quote:

Captain Atkin wrote: (Post 8460706)
Quote:

Admiral Archer wrote: (Post 8458555)
I suppose I should explain my stance. I am fine with licensed Star Trek music being used for NON PROFIT. I have observed many fans using songs directly taken from existing film soundtracks (such as Star Trek: Valkyrie intro on youtube using the end credits music from "Star Trek: First Contact" and "Star Trek: Nemesis") and I actually don't care that the music is from a copyrighted source, because it is non profit. Also, I have no problem with such videos so long as they take time to credit the original artist (again, Star Trek: Valkyrie comes to mind, due to the fact that they at least credit Jerry Goldsmith, who did the themes used in the video). What disturbs me about this artist is that A) he is claiming HE wrote the music, without giving credit to the original artist, and B) he is making a profit off of it.

I just listened to the track. It has a few notes that are similar to the TMP track, but it is not 'note-for-note'. There are very obvious differences between the two. I think it is safe to say that it was done as a homage to the original series. It is meant to invoke the feel of the original series, without using the original music.

Nevertheless, the artist DID credit Jerry Goldsmith on his website:

________________________________________

Note: It has come to my attention that I did not properly credit Jerry Goldsmith for his work in the themes and for this I truly apologize. When the album was first released I made sure let everyone know the track with his work was always free and credit was due. Over the years, the page has shifted somewhat.

Thank you Jerry Goldsmith for your wonderful music.

*Contains music by Jerry Goldsmith
**This is a free track and always has been.



For mroe information on the film, please visit:
http://www.justindurban.com/star-tre...-and-men-2008/

Well I feel horrible now. I'm so sorry, everyone. Please believe me when I say I really did want to be proven wrong. The fact of the matter is, when I saw OGAM, I was cheering at the end credits because someone had the idea to actually do an homage to Jerry Goldsmith. Hearing the theme in the end credits tied the movie more to the classic Star Trek, for me, more than ANY of the castmembers (who were still awesome to see again in any case). I am relieved that this has been resolved. Now if you will excuse me, I'm off to eat my hat. :)

Tom August 3 2013 05:20 PM

Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...
 
Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 8461324)
Quote:

wjaspers wrote: (Post 8460412)
This is a joke, right?

Do not know how things go in the US, but in europe you could try the Gestapo or the Stasi. Sorry, my mistake, they are out of business now.

Anyhow, look this and scroll down: http://www.edgen.com/ogam/

I fail to see why you're so angry with the OP. By your own admission,

Quote:

"When the album was first released I made sure let everyone know the track with his work was always free and credit was due. Over the years, the page has shifted somewhat. "
So you've made the necessary correction or adjustment. Good.

Therin, wjaspers is not Justin Durbin so that was not his admission at all. Justin has not posted in this thread.

Therin of Andor August 4 2013 01:41 AM

Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...
 
Quote:

Tom wrote: (Post 8463562)
wjaspers is not Justin Durbin so that was not his admission at all. Justin has not posted in this thread.

Justin has made his admission on his website. wjaspers posted the URL leading to Justin's admission here in the thread. My point was that, at some time, the credit was not as clear as it is today. Hence Admiral Archer's original complaint.

Melakon August 4 2013 02:30 AM

Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...
 
The important thing is, at least credit is now displaying where it should, before the legal beagles discovered it.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.