The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   TNG's "Too Short a Season" with Kirk... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=221116)

Praetor July 29 2013 02:29 AM

TNG's "Too Short a Season" with Kirk...
 
I'm putting this here to get a wide range of perspectives from TNG and non-TNG fans.

I've long read the rumors that "Too Short a Season" was conceived to feature an aged Admiral Kirk returning to the planet from the TOS "A Private Little War" episode. (I'm not sure whether there's any truth to this, perhaps someone else knows.)

Two questions.
  1. What would a version of this episode with Kirk have been like, and how would you have it differ from the aired episode?
  2. Would it have worked for you, that is, could it be a proper revisit/sendoff for an aged Kirk?

BillJ July 29 2013 02:47 AM

Re: TNG's "Too Short a Season" with Kirk...
 
I'm not sure the episode would've played out too much differently and it would've worked better as a send-off than Generations did.

King Daniel Into Darkness July 29 2013 10:46 AM

Re: TNG's "Too Short a Season" with Kirk...
 
Quote:

Praetor wrote: (Post 8440231)
I'm putting this here to get a wide range of perspectives from TNG and non-TNG fans.

I've long read the rumors that "Too Short a Season" was conceived to feature an aged Admiral Kirk returning to the planet from the TOS "A Private Little War" episode. (I'm not sure whether there's any truth to this, perhaps someone else knows.)

Two questions.
  1. What would a version of this episode with Kirk have been like, and how would you have it differ from the aired episode?
  2. Would it have worked for you, that is, could it be a proper revisit/sendoff for an aged Kirk?

Seems like it would have intentionally discredited Kirk and The Original Series. The Trek fanbase would have been absolutely furious. You don't start a sequel by shitting on the original.

T'Girl July 29 2013 11:47 AM

Re: TNG's "Too Short a Season" with Kirk...
 
Quote:

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: (Post 8441191)
You don't start a sequel by shitting on the original.

This.

The ending would have had to of been changed, with Kirk being the one to find a solution to the orginal problrm. And Picard and crew all commenting that they have learn something important at the knee of the master.

:)

Shawnster July 29 2013 04:24 PM

Re: TNG's "Too Short a Season" with Kirk...
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8440306)
I'm not sure the episode would've played out too much differently and it would've worked better as a send-off than Generations did.

I agree. But the episode would have to be expanded. A two-parter would be a more fitting send-off than just one episode. It's Kirk, after all.

Tomalak July 29 2013 04:41 PM

Re: TNG's "Too Short a Season" with Kirk...
 
Seems unlikely, given the production team broke out in hives at the mere mention of the original series. It took lengthy discussion before a passing reference to Spock was allowed into the script for 'Sarek'.

BillJ July 29 2013 04:46 PM

Re: TNG's "Too Short a Season" with Kirk...
 
Quote:

Tomalak wrote: (Post 8442025)
Seems unlikely, given the production team broke out in hives at the mere mention of the original series. It took lengthy discussion before a passing reference to Spock was allowed into the script for 'Sarek'.

I'm pretty sure the idea was pitched as a sequel to A Private Little War. Also, not sure I get the "hives" comment. They may have acted that way but they still mined TOS for elements pretty regularly and many of the season one episodes were remixes of TOS episodes.

Timo July 29 2013 04:55 PM

Re: TNG's "Too Short a Season" with Kirk...
 
Quote:

You don't start a sequel by shitting on the original.
Not sure about that one. DS9 got its hero to a great start by basically telling the audience that the only apology he would accept from the original show's leading character would be a slow and painful suicide...

Had Kirk been the one to take the rejuvenating poison, I'd expect him to die at the end of the episode. There'd be no future for the character in a rejuvenated form, and no dramatic value in his return to his aged form. But the confrontation between Kirk and whoever got to represent the folks at Tyree's planet would no doubt have involved Kirk getting the final word and making his opponent repent, to the point of him delivering a touching eulogy. Picard would be the one left speechless in the final confrontation.

It's difficult to see how Kirk could have become more of a good guy in the story, though. And the very point of doing it would be the shock value of him not being one.

Timo Saloniemi

Praetor July 29 2013 04:58 PM

Re: TNG's "Too Short a Season" with Kirk...
 
Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 8442076)
Not sure about that one. DS9 got its hero to a great start by basically telling the audience that the only apology he would accept from the original show's leading character would be a slow and painful suicide...

Good point.

Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 8442076)
Had Kirk been the one to take the rejuvenating poison, I'd expect him to die at the end of the episode. There'd be no future for the character in a rejuvenated form, and no dramatic value in his return to his aged form. But the confrontation between Kirk and whoever got to represent the folks at Tyree's planet would no doubt have involved Kirk getting the final word and making his opponent repent, to the point of him delivering a touching eulogy. Picard would be the one left speechless in the final confrontation.

It's difficult to see how Kirk could have become more of a good guy in the story, though. And the very point of doing it would be the shock value of him not being one.

Agree for the most part. There did seem to be a consistent knee-jerk "No" to including more than a passing reference to anything TOS on the part of Roddenberry and company. That said, the production team seemed to enjoy sneaking in what they could, such as the Constitution model that liked to float around, or various schematics on display montages. So to include Kirk, surely they would have had to have a good reason, such as using the shock value.

I tend to agree that it would not have been a great send-off to the TOS gang. I suspect that you could have substituted Kirk for Jameson (James son eh?) and it would have flowed more or less as is, however, Kirk would have been older and maybe the serum would not have aged him down so much - maybe just to Shatner's actual age in '87. That wouldn't have been a horrible ending.

I wonder if the original pitch was serious in revisiting "APLW" or if it was merely a "Suppose we went back to a planet like that one..." sort of pitch?

Hartzilla2007 July 29 2013 05:20 PM

Re: TNG's "Too Short a Season" with Kirk...
 
Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 8442076)
Quote:

You don't start a sequel by shitting on the original.
Not sure about that one. DS9 got its hero to a great start by basically telling the audience that the only apology he would accept from the original show's leading character would be a slow and painful suicide...

Yeah, and then Sisko got over it and was somewhat on friendly terms with Picard when he left again at the end.

Praetor July 29 2013 08:34 PM

Re: TNG's "Too Short a Season" with Kirk...
 
Perhaps Picard and Kirk would have found accord by the end of the episode, too.

Timo July 29 2013 08:42 PM

Re: TNG's "Too Short a Season" with Kirk...
 
Having Kirk die to reconcile his sins would also bring peace to the relationship between the leaders - and help preserve Kirk's character, as Picard excels in making things sound good after the fact...

Timo Saloniemi

Praetor July 29 2013 10:15 PM

Re: TNG's "Too Short a Season" with Kirk...
 
Heh, touchee. Or let Data do it. "To know him, is to love him, is to know him."

Dream July 29 2013 10:24 PM

Re: TNG's "Too Short a Season" with Kirk...
 
Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 8442076)
Quote:

You don't start a sequel by shitting on the original.
Not sure about that one. DS9 got its hero to a great start by basically telling the audience that the only apology he would accept from the original show's leading character would be a slow and painful suicide...

No, it wasn't a great start. Plenty of fans were on Picard's side the time and even now are still pissed at how Sisko treated him.

Timo July 29 2013 10:28 PM

Re: TNG's "Too Short a Season" with Kirk...
 
Which was a good thing, because the new hero had an edge - why, he was a bad guy!

"This is not your dad's Star Trek" is a great way to launch a sequel. What's the point of even having one if it's just more of the same-o?

Timo Saloniemi


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.