The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies I-X (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Generations references (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=220966)

JarodRussell July 27 2013 11:18 AM

Generations references

Stumbled over this little comparison of a scene between Generations and Yesterday's Enterprise.

Are there any other homages to scenes from the series hidden in this film?

Mage July 27 2013 11:49 AM

Re: Generations references

I remember seeing the rolling under the door thing before, didn't realize it was such an exact copy of the scene.

JarodRussell July 27 2013 12:00 PM

No matter what timeline, the Enterprise-D was always going to be destroyed in a battle against Klingon Birds of Prey. ;)

King Daniel Into Darkness July 27 2013 12:04 PM

It seems that in Trek's world, the same stuff's gonna happen no matter how much you screw with the timeline. Voyager's "Before and After" and "Year of Hell" even had Kes and Seven of Nine enact an indentical scene with a Krenim torpedo for different reasons. Wrath of Khan and Into Darkness had a role-reversal sacrifice, both of which involved Khan and both were undone shortly afterwards. Jonathan Archer still founded the United Federation of Planets on time despite a time war with multiple factions trying to stop him in Enterprise, one of which managed to kill 6 million people.

I find it fascinating. It explains how most of the main characters are together in every alternate timeline.

Tosk July 27 2013 12:31 PM

David Carson directed both, so I always wondered if it was just him trying to "get it right" second time around. The timing on Geordi's roll in YE is clumsy, the GEN one is better.

MacLeod July 27 2013 12:54 PM

It's a shame geordi forgot about one final failsafe the ship had. Eject the core. But then again it wasn't uncommon in ST for the failsafe system to fail. They really need to send a memo about the failure of the failsafe systems. :p

Mage July 27 2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

MacLeod wrote: (Post 8434390)
It's a shame geordi forgot about one final failsafe the ship had. Eject the core. But then again it wasn't uncommon in ST for the failsafe system to fail. They really need to send a memo about the failure of the failsafe systems. :p

I always got the impression that the ship couldn't get away far enough to survive the explosion of an ejected core. But that could be me.

DarkHorizon July 27 2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 8434372)
David Carson directed both, so I always wondered if it was just him trying to "get it right" second time around. The timing on Geordi's roll in YE is clumsy, the GEN one is better.

Geordi doesn't do the roll in YE, that's from Best of Both Worlds.

Tosk July 28 2013 02:37 AM

Quote:

DarkHorizon wrote: (Post 8434453)
Quote:

D'oh! Brain-fart.

I guess Carson was showing Cliff Bole how to do that part better, then. ;)

trevanian July 28 2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 8436844)
Quote:

DarkHorizon wrote: (Post 8434453)
Quote:

D'oh! Brain-fart.

I guess Carson was showing Cliff Bole how to do that part better, then. ;)

On his worst day, Carson could easily show Bole how to do everything better. Bole is just about coverage, not shooting with a style or a point of view.

Lance July 28 2013 06:24 PM

If there's one thing I do admire about Generations, it's the direction. Carson does a terrific job. :techman:

Dick_Valentine July 29 2013 02:47 AM

Quote:

MacLeod wrote: (Post 8434390)

Well the failure of the failsafe system is supposed to be picked up by the damage report machine before it fails, but sadly the damage report machine is usually the first thing to be damaged so that rarely picks up the failures of the failsafes.

Joe_Atari July 29 2013 03:39 AM

Carson repeats some more gags here and there. In both GEN and YE he does the "let's shine flashlights directly in people's faces" thing (to Soran in GEN, Castillo in YE); I never understood that (they were being rescued, not interrogated). He also liked the gory "death by sharp debris" shots (Garrett and Riker in YE, and the Klingon in the opening shot of TNG Redemption Part 2).

Other similarities between GEN and YE are the look of the 1701-D bridge (additional stations, etc.) and the overall darker, moodier lighting.

Agreed; Carson's effective direction (along with John "Chinatown" Alonzo's cinematography and Dennis McCarthy's score) was a high point of GEN. Too bad about y'know, the script...

Lance July 29 2013 06:07 AM

^ Alonzo's cinematography was brilliant. He was doing things with those sets and the camera that hadn't been done in the seven years of the show, and he brought a real 'theatricality' to proceedings. :techman:

Praetor July 29 2013 05:50 PM

It bums me out all the more that the D had to bite the bullet in the film. Those sets and the 6-footer looked amazing.

I still say blow up the ship for wow factor, but undo it with the Nexus. Best of both worlds.

(Say, that's a catchy title...)