The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   TIME: The 100 Most Influential People Who Never Lived (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=220951)

TREK_GOD_1 July 27 2013 04:52 AM

TIME: The 100 Most Influential People Who Never Lived
 
Of the cultural icons to make the cover, guess which Star Trek characters made the cut...

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7793/6pj6.jpg

Still the best: Shatner as Kirk and Nimoy as Spock!

Push The Button July 27 2013 05:59 AM

Re: TIME: The 100 Most Influential People Who Never Lived
 
Hey, Lucy is on the cover too. If Gene Roddenberry was the father of Star Trek, then Lucille Ball was certainly its mother.

SpHeRe31459 July 27 2013 07:23 AM

Re: TIME: The 100 Most Influential People Who Never Lived
 
Quote:

Push The Button wrote: (Post 8433889)
Hey, Lucy is on the cover too. If Gene Roddenberry was the father of Star Trek, then Lucille Ball was certainly its mother.

Indeed :)

Mr. Hengist July 27 2013 12:19 PM

Re: TIME: The 100 Most Influential People Who Never Lived
 
Quote:

Hey, Lucy is on the cover too. If Gene Roddenberry was the father of Star Trek, then Lucille Ball was certainly its mother.
Surely you don't mean...???????!!!!!!

MacLeod July 27 2013 12:47 PM

Re: TIME: The 100 Most Influential People Who Never Lived
 
I note the HAL 9000 is mentioned, was it/he a person?

The Old Mixer July 27 2013 02:57 PM

Re: TIME: The 100 Most Influential People Who Never Lived
 
I'm feeling very distressed that you would think of me as not being a person, Dave.

Nerys Myk July 27 2013 03:25 PM

Re: TIME: The 100 Most Influential People Who Never Lived
 
Quote:

Push The Button wrote: (Post 8433889)
Hey, Lucy is on the cover too. If Gene Roddenberry was the father of Star Trek, then Lucille Ball was certainly its mother.

More like an wealthy aunt.

TREK_GOD_1 July 27 2013 07:18 PM

Re: TIME: The 100 Most Influential People Who Never Lived
 
I've heard a few Star Wars fans getting pissy because no character from their adored franchise was represented on the cover (note: Darth Vader is the only SW character found in the publication).

As popular as Star Wars--or certain parts of it--is, in consideration of the magazine subject, I would not substitute a SW character with any featured on the cover.

Kinokima July 27 2013 07:20 PM

Re: TIME: The 100 Most Influential People Who Never Lived
 
I would take off the girl from the Hunger Games, I don't see anything influential about her.

SpHeRe31459 July 27 2013 08:32 PM

Re: TIME: The 100 Most Influential People Who Never Lived
 
Quote:

Kinokima wrote: (Post 8435458)
I would take off the girl from the Hunger Games, I don't see anything influential about her.

You may not, however millions of teenage girls do. She's basically a way into more mature fantasy novels for many pre-teen/teen girls (and boys) and their parents. I can tell you it sparked an interest in other dystopian future sci-fi/fantasy in people I know who wouldn't touch such stuff normally.

Captain Rob July 27 2013 09:07 PM

Re: TIME: The 100 Most Influential People Who Never Lived
 
If the chick from Hunger Games is in there. Then Lara Croft should be there as well. Probably the best female fictional character ever to come from England.

Kinokima July 27 2013 10:19 PM

Re: TIME: The 100 Most Influential People Who Never Lived
 
Quote:

SpHeRe31459 wrote: (Post 8435632)
You may not, however millions of teenage girls do. She's basically a way into more mature fantasy novels for many pre-teen/teen girls (and boys) and their parents. I can tell you it sparked an interest in other dystopian future sci-fi/fantasy in people I know who wouldn't touch such stuff normally.

I think you are overstating it's popularity. It is not like it is on Harry Potter levels of popularity. It's just the new "in" thing.

I saw the movie and generally enjoyed it (nice to have a female hero) but it is not influential compared to some of the other things on the cover. It's been around too short of time for that.

Timewalker July 27 2013 10:53 PM

Re: TIME: The 100 Most Influential People Who Never Lived
 
Katniss has influenced a lot of TWoP (Television Without Pity) posters to refer to Charlie (the female lead of "Revolution") as "Bratniss" because she uses a crossbow and acts like a brat.

SpHeRe31459 July 27 2013 11:53 PM

Re: TIME: The 100 Most Influential People Who Never Lived
 
Quote:

Kinokima wrote: (Post 8436091)
I think you are overstating it's popularity. It is not like it is on Harry Potter levels of popularity. It's just the new "in" thing.

Harry Potter has a wider appeal for sure. But I think you're underestimating it. Do you know any teenage girls? I went with extended family to the opening day of Hunger Games and it made money like gangbusters. Teen girls were going nuts.

Quote:

Kinokima wrote: (Post 8436091)
I saw the movie and generally enjoyed it (nice to have a female hero) but it is not influential compared to some of the other things on the cover. It's been around too short of time for that.

Not disagreeing with this point, but consider the marketing, they threw Katniss on the cover to sell the magazine, it's plain and simple.

BillJ July 28 2013 12:56 AM

Re: TIME: The 100 Most Influential People Who Never Lived
 
Teen girls went nuts over the Twilight movies as well.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.