The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Star Trek questions that need answering (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=220729)

IzzyAtWarp9 July 24 2013 09:20 PM

Star Trek questions that need answering

Depending on how popular this is, I'll be posting a new question roughly every week. This thread is for those questions that Star Trek needs to have answered (well, in my opinion (so WARNING most of these will probably be kinda fangirly sorry :vulcan:))
This week:

Riker: Beard or no beard?

When I first saw him with a beard I thought it didn't suit him but once the new uniforms came in I thought it made him look more commanding.

Melakon July 24 2013 09:25 PM

Re: Star Trek questions that need answering

The beard was improvement. First season's baby-face Riker looked to me like Roger Korby's android making machine gone awry trying to clone William Shatner. Frakes definitely seemed more comfortable with the beard. It's like Avery Brooks and the Sisko hair thing.

IzzyAtWarp9 July 24 2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8424676)
The beard was improvement. First season's baby-face Riker looked to me like Roger Korby's android making machine gone awry trying to clone William Shatner. Frakes definitely seemed more comfortable with the beard. It's like Avery Brooks and the Sisko hair thing.

So do you like Sisko with or without hair? I'd definitely go with.

Melakon July 24 2013 09:33 PM

I think Brooks was more comfortable with his head shaved. And it seemed to improve his performance. That's as close to a like/dislike you'll get from me. ;)

IzzyAtWarp9 July 24 2013 09:48 PM

Hmm that's true the character massively improved... You may have converted me :P

Kevman7987 July 24 2013 11:19 PM

Riker is better with the beard. The beard commands/demands respect. Riker would never have had the guts to put his leg up on peoples' consoles and shove his crotch into their face without growing the beard first.

Sisko is better with the Van Dyke. The Van Dyke made him more dark/threatening and fit the war story they were trying to tell. Van Dyke Sisko is not a man to be trifled with.

Hmm. Had Riker been Sisko's XO instead of Worf, the Dominion War would have been over in a single episode. When their beard powers combine...

Third Nacelle July 25 2013 12:13 AM

Riker with the beard, definitely. He looked way too young to be XO without it.

I think I liked Sisko best during the brief period he had both facial AND scalp hair.

IzzyAtWarp9 July 25 2013 01:32 AM

Quote:

Kevman7987 wrote: (Post 8425099)
Hmm. Had Riker been Sisko's XO instead of Worf, the Dominion War would have been over in a single episode. When their beard powers combine...

That is so true I would love to see that. The new film - Star Trek: Wrath of the Beards

CorporalClegg July 25 2013 03:10 AM

James Kirk and the Giant Peach Fuzz.

Mario de Monti July 25 2013 09:39 AM

I liked Riker better with the beard, but it also was a pleasant change when he had it shaved off all those years later in "Insurrection".

Bry_Sinclair July 25 2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Third Nacelle wrote: (Post 8425267)
Riker with the beard, definitely. He looked way too young to be XO without it.

Wasn't that kinda the point of Riker, he was a young hot-shot who was climbing the ranks quickly. Anyways, I'm more used to seeing him with beard, so I'd have to say I prefer him with it. It has been a while since I watched him beardless though.

Quote:

Third Nacelle wrote: (Post 8425267)
I think I liked Sisko best during the brief period he had both facial AND scalp hair.

I'm with you on this one, Sisko suited the hair and beard together.

bbjeg July 25 2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

IzzyatWarp9 wrote: (Post 8424649)
Riker: Beard or no beard?

Beard, babyface was more fun but the beard got things done.

Quote:

IzzyatWarp9 wrote: (Post 8424697)
Sisko with or without hair?

Without for the same reason.

maneth July 25 2013 02:00 PM

With the beard, definitely.

Captain McBain July 25 2013 09:33 PM

Definitely with the beard-ola. Troi shaved it off in Insurrection and look how crappy that movie was!

Mario de Monti July 26 2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Captain McBain wrote: (Post 8428417)
Definitely with the beard-ola. Troi shaved it off in Insurrection and look how crappy that movie was!

Riker had a beard in Generations and First Contact and those movies sucked, too ;)