The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies I-X (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Star Trek TWOK Blue Ray oddity (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=220696)

Flying Spaghetti Monster July 24 2013 07:56 AM

Star Trek TWOK Blue Ray oddity

Hi

I got the Original six films blue ray collection for a steel at $40, but I was disappointed. The first film has trouble running, as does the fourth. There are technical glitches all over the place.

Could be my player.

But one thing that is strange is that all the films are the original theatrical versions but they use commentaries from the director editions.

So, in TWOK, when Meyer is talking about the "I knew something about these ships that he didn't" bit, it makes no sense, because that scene is only in the director's version. And it seems to me that now the whole commentary is out of sync because of it?

Did you all notice this?

BillJ July 24 2013 04:33 PM

Re: Star Trek TWOK Blue Ray oddity

I haven't listened to the commentaries, but all six films run flawlessly on both my Blu-ray players.

Might want to try and exchange the set?

Grant July 24 2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: (Post 8422471)
Hi

I got the Original six films blue ray collection for a steel at $40, but I was disappointed. The first film has trouble running, as does the fourth. There are technical glitches all over the place.

Could be my player.

But one thing that is strange is that all the films are the original theatrical versions but they use commentaries from the director editions.

So, in TWOK, when Meyer is talking about the "I knew something about these ships that he didn't" bit, it makes no sense, because that scene is only in the director's version. And it seems to me that now the whole commentary is out of sync because of it?

Did you all notice this?

Yes, they edited the commentary from the 2-disc DVDs and it leaves a few gaps where he was talking about the DC where that ran over into portions that were not part of the DC cut.

Also in the other NEW commentary he doesn't even know he is watching the theatrical cut until about a third of the way thru, when he realizes and says, "wonder why they did that?"

LOKAI of CHERON July 24 2013 04:33 PM

All my BD's play perfectly, and I haven't read about any technical issues with the discs on any of the AV forums I frequent. I'd say you either have faulty discs, or your players firmware version is the problem.

Grant July 24 2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8423563)
I haven't listened to the commentaries, but all six films run flawlessly on both my Blu-ray players.

He's not talking about a tech glitch--hes talking about the editing out of comments about the DC cause the commentary to be off at various point where they had to move the commentary up or back or leave blank space till the comments 'catch-up' again.

At least that's what I noticed listening to it.

BillJ July 24 2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Grant wrote: (Post 8423590)
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8423563)

He's not talking about a tech glitch--hes talking about the editing out of comments about the DC cause the commentary to be off at various point where they had to move the commentary up or back or leave blank space till the comments 'catch-up' again.

At least that's what I noticed listening to it.

I think the original poster was talking about two separate issues. Maybe he could verify?

Flying Spaghetti Monster July 25 2013 04:31 AM

Yes I was talking about two separate issues.

The first was problems with the disks playing correctly.

But the more interesting problem is that the commentaries can't be in sync. Meyer was talking about the "I knew something about these ships that he didn't" scene after we've already moved to the next scene because he was originally commentating over the director's cut, which has that bit.

BillJ July 25 2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: (Post 8425924)
Yes I was talking about two separate issues.

The first was problems with the disks playing correctly.

You might want to try cleaning both discs if it was a used set.

Flying Spaghetti Monster July 25 2013 02:30 PM

My set was new. But very glitchy.

BillJ July 25 2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: (Post 8426965)
My set was new. But very glitchy.

Then I would definitely exchange it. :techman:

Flying Spaghetti Monster July 25 2013 02:49 PM

Well who knows if they'll even take it back. I bought it months ago when it was on sale (before the new film came out, and the sale was probably in conjunction with it) but I never opened it, and then my father passed away and I've been travelling a lot to deal with that. When I got home I noticed that the first and fouth films were particularly glitchy.
I don't know what to do.

LOKAI of CHERON July 25 2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: (Post 8427019)
Well who knows if they'll even take it back. I bought it months ago when it was on sale (before the new film came out, and the sale was probably in conjunction with it) but I never opened it, and then my father passed away and I've been travelling a lot to deal with that. When I got home I noticed that the first and fouth films were particularly glitchy.
I don't know what to do.

As BillJ suggests, it's definitely worth giving the disc surfaces a gentle wipe with a soft lint free cloth to remove any grease/thumbprints etc.

As I mentioned up thread, there's a small chance the firmware version on your machine is out of date - but if it's playing the other movies - it's pretty unlikely. However, it's (usually) not a bad thing to update your firmware anyway.

You've got nothing to lose by at least attempting a return, they can only say no!

Flying Spaghetti Monster July 25 2013 03:27 PM

thank you for advice!

With all that was happening with my family, it has been hard for me to think much about this. But now that the services are over, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks again

Flying Spaghetti Monster July 25 2013 05:54 PM

Also, TWOK on blue ray has an ugly, blue look. I actually prefer the director's edition DVD

SpHeRe31459 July 25 2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: (Post 8427640)
Also, TWOK on blue ray has an ugly, blue look. I actually prefer the director's edition DVD

Yes unfortunately someone convinced Nick Meyer to sign off on the re-grading of the color into the popular steely blue/teal palette that pretty much all new movies use, it's really sickening...

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/20...ease-stop.html