The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=220615)

Ancient Mariner July 23 2013 01:29 PM

Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Cosmos - A Space Time Odyssey follows in the footsteps of Carl Sagan's series from more than thirty years ago. The series is produced by Seth McFarlane (yes, that Seth McFarlane) and is hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson. First trailer is here ...

... show will premiere in 2014

Mysterion July 23 2013 04:26 PM

Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Cool trailer, great visuals. But, as much as I like Neil deGrasse Tyson, he ain't no Carl Sagan. He's got a big pair of shoes to fill here.

auntiehill July 23 2013 04:28 PM

I look forward to seeing this, but I admit I'm a bit wary about it being on FOX and not on PBS or Discovery.

Data Holmes July 23 2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

auntiehill wrote: (Post 8419000)
I look forward to seeing this, but I admit I'm a bit wary about it being on FOX and not on PBS or Discovery.

He talks about that here

I know I can't wait, and have been looking forward to this show for a few years now.

Trekker4747 July 23 2013 07:13 PM

Fox DOES have other show creators besides Seth McFarlane, right?

FPAlpha July 23 2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Mysterion wrote: (Post 8418988)
Cool trailer, great visuals. But, as much as I like Neil deGrasse Tyson, he ain't no Carl Sagan. He's got a big pair of shoes to fill here.

Oh i think deGrasse Tyson can fill anyone's shoes. He has that unique talent of presenting hard science facts so everybody can understand them and he does so in a very entertaining way.

He's got a great sense of humor and you can practically feel his love of science and the passion he has.

I'd really like to meet him and talk science.. that would be a day and i'll definitely check out this show.

J. Allen July 23 2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Trekker4747 wrote: (Post 8419588)
Fox DOES have other show creators besides Seth McFarlane, right?

I'm sure they do, but Seth is probably one of the best faces of FOX right now.

Emh July 23 2013 08:51 PM

I can't wait to watch this.

I really need to rewatch the old Carl Sagan series. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. It's on DVD, right?

Mr. Laser Beam July 23 2013 08:54 PM

So how does Tyson say "billions and billions"? :D

Owain Taggart July 23 2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

FPAlpha wrote: (Post 8419891)
Quote:

Oh i think deGrasse Tyson can fill anyone's shoes. He has that unique talent of presenting hard science facts so everybody can understand them and he does so in a very entertaining way.

He's got a great sense of humor and you can practically feel his love of science and the passion he has.

I'd really like to meet him and talk science.. that would be a day and i'll definitely check out this show.

Yeah, if anybody can followup Carl Sagan, it's Tyson. He's a great choice for this.

My Dad pointed out that he even sounds like Sagan at the start of the trailer.

Wereghost July 23 2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Emh wrote: (Post 8420053)

I really need to rewatch the old Carl Sagan series. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. It's on DVD, right?

Yes, and it's still marvellous.

Ancient Mariner July 23 2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Wereghost wrote: (Post 8420209)
Quote:

Emh wrote: (Post 8420053)

Yes, and it's still marvellous.

Agreed. I still watch the series once a year. Uplifting stuff.

Quote:

FPAlpha wrote: (Post 8419891)
Quote:

I completely agree about Tyson. If anything, this interview (below) he did with Stephen Colbert convinced me. That, and his StarTalk Radio series.

As for FOX - I have no doubts that Seth McFarlane, along with Tyson and Ann Druyan (who helped write the original Cosmos series) will create a show worthy of Sagan's legacy.

davejames July 23 2013 10:45 PM

Tyson may not be as eloquent or poetic as Sagan, but his passion and enthusiasm for science still make him a very good spokesman, I think.

I just wish he would speak out more on the quacks and pseudoscience out there like Sagan did. He'll make a passing comment now and then, but you sense him always holding back and trying not to offend too many people.

Ancient Mariner July 24 2013 12:12 AM

Have you seen this video? It's a pretty clear condemnation of turning to religion in the context of science research, discovery and education:

T J July 24 2013 08:36 AM

That trailer has brought boundless joy to my heart!:eek: