The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science and Technology (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Neptune - New Moon Discovered (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=219868)

Mysterion July 15 2013 11:12 PM

Neptune - New Moon Discovered
 
Read about it here: http://news.yahoo.com/astronomer-fin...211329016.html

IAU is gonna have to gear-up for another round of "Name The Moon".

Sir Rhosis July 15 2013 11:29 PM

Re: Neptune - New Moon Discovered
 
Thanks for the link. How small can an object be and still be considered a "moon.?"

Sir Rhosis

Pavonis July 15 2013 11:50 PM

Re: Neptune - New Moon Discovered
 
I don't think size is a consideration for defining "moon", just its orbit.

Metryq July 16 2013 03:15 AM

Re: Neptune - New Moon Discovered
 
Quote:

Pavonis wrote: (Post 8384557)
I don't think size is a consideration for defining "moon", just its orbit.

In other words, is it big enough to go to the trouble of naming it, and how many of them are there? (Imagine trying to name every fleck of dust in orbit around Saturn.)

Asbo Zaprudder July 16 2013 03:46 PM

Re: Neptune - New Moon Discovered
 
That's no moon...

Ar-Pharazon July 17 2013 12:51 AM

Re: Neptune - New Moon Discovered
 
Since Pluto's demotion, I've believed there should be some limitations on what could be considered a moon.

Otherwise, like Metryq said, every rock bigger than a baseball in Saturn's rings could be called a moon.

Crazy Eddie July 17 2013 06:53 AM

Re: Neptune - New Moon Discovered
 
Quote:

Ar-Pharazon wrote: (Post 8389519)
Since Pluto's demotion, I've believed there should be some limitations on what could be considered a moon.

Otherwise, like Metryq said, every rock bigger than a baseball in Saturn's rings could be called a moon.

"Every rock bigger than a baseball in Saturn's rings" wouldn't show up as a distinct object in a telescope, though, and therefore wouldn't be identified and named and wouldn't be considered a moon.

It's sorta like the definition of "Island." The cutoff seems to be mostly arbitrary, but a good rule of thumb is that if it's too small to be labeled on a map, it's probably not really an island.

Significantly, Jupiter has something like 60 moons, but astronomers -- and anyone else, for that matter -- only really care about the four major ones, the rest are just puny little asteroids zipping about in random orbits.

Ar-Pharazon July 18 2013 02:51 AM

Re: Neptune - New Moon Discovered
 
Quote:

Crazy Eddie wrote: (Post 8390902)
"Every rock bigger than a baseball in Saturn's rings" wouldn't show up as a distinct object in a telescope, though, and therefore wouldn't be identified and named and wouldn't be considered a moon.

Until we get bigger telescopes or get closer to Saturn ;)

Metryq July 18 2013 11:02 AM

Re: Neptune - New Moon Discovered
 
Quote:

Ar-Pharazon wrote: (Post 8394730)
Until we get bigger telescopes or get closer to Saturn ;)

Or someone starts "selling" naming rights to gullible people over the Web for each grain of dust in the rings -- claiming they have a way to track and database all of it. (I vaguely recall something of this sort -- selling naming rights of craters or very low magnitude stars to the public for a fee.)

Colonel Midnight July 18 2013 04:52 PM

Re: Neptune - New Moon Discovered
 
IIRC, the general trend (or is it international reg?) is for moons of Neptune to be named after sea gods, etc. Any suggestions out there?

Cheers,
-CM-

Robert Comsol July 18 2013 10:59 PM

Re: Neptune - New Moon Discovered
 
Quote:

Pavonis wrote: (Post 8384557)
I don't think size is a consideration for defining "moon", just its orbit.

I doubt that general audiences will have that in mind. Whatever happened to good ol' "satellite"?

Bob

iguana_tonante July 18 2013 11:41 PM

Re: Neptune - New Moon Discovered
 
Quote:

Colonel Midnight wrote: (Post 8396704)
IIRC, the general trend (or is it international reg?) is for moons of Neptune to be named after sea gods, etc. Any suggestions out there?

Cheers,
-CM-

Michael Phelps?

scotpens July 19 2013 02:19 AM

Re: Neptune - New Moon Discovered
 
Quote:

iguana_tonante wrote: (Post 8398228)
Quote:

Colonel Midnight wrote: (Post 8396704)
IIRC, the general trend (or is it international reg?) is for moons of Neptune to be named after sea gods, etc. Any suggestions out there?

Michael Phelps?

Esther Williams!

Asbo Zaprudder July 19 2013 07:50 AM

Re: Neptune - New Moon Discovered
 
Spongebob Squarepants

Mysterion July 19 2013 11:29 PM

Re: Neptune - New Moon Discovered
 
Quote:

Colonel Midnight wrote: (Post 8396704)
IIRC, the general trend (or is it international reg?) is for moons of Neptune to be named after sea gods, etc. Any suggestions out there?

Cheers,
-CM-

How about stepping away from European/Mediterranean mythology and calling it Tangaroa after the figure in Maori mythology? Enough of the Greeks and Romans, already.

Wiki link for the curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangaroa

Oh, and a "funny" answer I tried to resist, but am typing here anyway: Zissou.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.