The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Bridge and set plans! (big pic) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=219844)

King Daniel Into Darkness July 15 2013 09:04 PM

Bridge and set plans! (big pic)
 
Source: http://www.harryottodesign.com/gallery.html

At long last! I've wanted these since 2009. It's a shame not all the labels are legible, but here are the bridge, lobby, transporter room, medical bay and the corridors.
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...17407_orig.jpg
The mysterious stations either side of the viewscreen are labelled "observation". The consoles either side of the helm/nav station are labelled too, I can make out "security" on the right side and "damage control" on the left. I can't make out the other two functions, though. The podiums are "aux. science" and "aux. com"
Oddly, in the movie Spock and Uhura sit side-by-side at the Science station leaving communications to Hannity and Madeline. The thing behind the captain's chair is the "aux. systems display"

And, since it's been bugging me forever, here's how they should fit inside deck 2 of the Enterprise. As I suspected, the corridor outside the bridge extends outside the ship. But on the plus side, the other end joins up to the lobby quite nicely:)
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...2_layout1a.jpg

Kruezerman July 15 2013 10:05 PM

Re: Bridge and set plans! (big pic)
 
Freaking awesome!

My guess is that "extra corridor" is just meant to be extra, they said they had the entire set connected, but it doesn't mean the med bay, transporter room, and bridge are layed out like that for real.

I'm dying to know how they did that "glass screen" look for the main screen!

DEWLine July 16 2013 01:39 AM

Re: Bridge and set plans! (big pic)
 
Surprised that the artist labelled the main "compartments" in the Peanuts/Schulz-style font.

DEWLine July 16 2013 10:45 PM

Re: Bridge and set plans! (big pic)
 
The stations tagged "observation" are intriguing. Set aside for civilian researcher/investigators, maybe?

Flake July 16 2013 11:07 PM

Re: Bridge and set plans! (big pic)
 
My god thats a big ship. !

Nice standing sets there, a good base to build some more sets required for a weekly tv show ! Engineering, Mess Hall, Science Labs, Shuttlebays and Cargo Bays needed to finish it off.

thumbtack July 16 2013 11:33 PM

Re: Bridge and set plans! (big pic)
 
Nice find!

JarodRussell July 16 2013 11:43 PM

Re: Bridge and set plans! (big pic)
 
That looks to me like the floor plan of the real studio set, not of the floor plan of what is supposed to be under the bridge dome in the fictional universe.

trekker670 July 17 2013 12:24 AM

Re: Bridge and set plans! (big pic)
 
Quote:

DEWLine wrote: (Post 8385082)
Surprised that the artist labelled the main "compartments" in the Peanuts/Schulz-style font.

The "peanuts/schulz-style font" you refer to is similar to a number of fonts used in blueprints. It's a throwback to when blueprints were drawn and labeled by hand. My modern design software use fonts like these as the default for labels.

DEWLine July 17 2013 12:54 AM

Re: Bridge and set plans! (big pic)
 
Interview with one of the other involved parties here:

http://www.setdecorators.org/incEngi...HOW=1052161331

WarpFactorZ July 17 2013 02:10 AM

Re: Bridge and set plans! (big pic)
 
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 8389270)
That looks to me like the floor plan of the real studio set, not of the floor plan of what is supposed to be under the bridge dome in the fictional universe.

Yeah...

King Daniel Into Darkness July 17 2013 04:55 PM

Re: Bridge and set plans! (big pic)
 
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 8389270)
That looks to me like the floor plan of the real studio set, not of the floor plan of what is supposed to be under the bridge dome in the fictional universe.

It was only meant to be a rough idea. If I were making a proper in-universe floor plan, I'd take the same liberties that everyone from Franz Joseph to Rick Sternbach took when blueprinting past ships. I'd shorten that protruding corridor and curve it more so the turbolift fits snugly against the bridge and inside the hull, I'd shorten (to leave room for the two-storey observation lounge) and either straighten the rearward corridor or (since it's odd shape is clearly seen when Kirk calls Scotty) come up with a reason for it to be curved at the end like that.

Franklin July 17 2013 06:21 PM

Re: Bridge and set plans! (big pic)
 
That's a nice logical placement of things with the information given, King Daniel. Still, I find the angle of the placement of that bridge in the lobby odd. For what it's worth, it would make more sense if it ran at an angle from the bridge entrance to the lobby over to the turbolift. Basically from 2 to 8 o'clock on the schematic you made, above. As is, one enters the lobby from the ship's bridge and either turns right and goes around to the turbolift, or turns left and goes to the long hallway. The lobby bridge just dead-ends into the back of the ship's bridge.

From what I can make out when I blow up the picture, GATT2000 was stationed at the Auxiliary Science station, and the comparable station on the other side of the command chair is Auxiliary Communications. I can also make out weapons and defense stations on the captain's right, and environment and engineering on his left. There are observatory stations on both sides of the view-screen/window. Can't make out anything else.

King Daniel Into Darkness July 17 2013 09:49 PM

Re: Bridge and set plans! (big pic)
 
Quote:

Franklin wrote: (Post 8392375)
That's a nice logical placement of things with the information given, King Daniel. Still, I find the angle of the placement of that bridge in the lobby odd. For what it's worth, it would make more sense if it ran at an angle from the bridge entrance to the lobby over to the turbolift. Basically from 2 to 8 o'clock on the schematic you made, above. As is, one enters the lobby from the ship's bridge and either turns right and goes around to the turbolift, or turns left and goes to the long hallway. The lobby bridge just dead-ends into the back of the ship's bridge.

That would make more sense, giving a nice clean walking path from the bridge to the rest of the deck. It'd be an easier fit if they hadn't made the lobby an oval, though...

drt July 17 2013 11:28 PM

Re: Bridge and set plans! (big pic)
 
Quote:

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: (Post 8393371)
That would make more sense, giving a nice clean walking path from the bridge to the rest of the deck. It'd be an easier fit if they hadn't made the lobby an oval, though...

That it also appears to be the same exact dimensions as the bridge makes me wonder if the set builders were thinking it was supposed to be underneath the bridge originally.

DEWLine July 18 2013 04:03 AM

Re: Bridge and set plans! (big pic)
 
Which would not surprise me, but for the Cinefex coverage of the movie, p. 86 of # 134, specifically:

...Pixomondo created gravity shifting effects in the primary hull atrium, which Scott Chambliss built as a single-story set. "J.J. shot a big tilt-up inside the turbolift plaza", related Ben Grossmann. "We extended that five stories up and eight stories down, with glass domes at the top and bottom looking out in the space..."


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.