The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Is there a radio station on the Enterprise? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=219724)

Shaka Zulu July 14 2013 08:27 PM

Is there a radio station on the Enterprise?
 
My guess is there is one, and Chekov is one of the DJ's (along with Uhura and maybe Captain Kirk!)

The set list for Captain Kirk's DJ hour has to be mostly Beastie Boys (based on his preference as heard in the movie), and other 20th century rock & pop), with Uhura's being any R&B similar to today's R&B/urban, Scott's being any rock band from England and Scotland (and Ireland), McCoy's being Southern rock and country (with just a little alt-country thrown in for good measure. When would they get the time to do this? Who knows, but they just might do so.

Anyone think that this might work?

BeatleJWOL July 15 2013 12:41 AM

Re: Is there a radio station on the Enterprise?
 
Radio station? Doubt it.

Everybody's playlists on their iTricorder? Yeah, that might be interesting. Maybe the third movie will be a partial adaptation of The Way To Eden...

Shatinator July 15 2013 12:14 PM

Re: Is there a radio station on the Enterprise?
 
Quote:

Shaka Zulu wrote: (Post 8379295)
My guess is there is one, and Chekov is one of the DJ's (along with Uhura and maybe Captain Kirk!)

The set list for Captain Kirk's DJ hour has to be mostly Beastie Boys (based on his preference as heard in the movie), and other 20th century rock & pop), with Uhura's being any R&B similar to today's R&B/urban, Scott's being any rock band from England and Scotland (and Ireland), McCoy's being Southern rock and country (with just a little alt-country thrown in for good measure. When would they get the time to do this? Who knows, but they just might do so.

Anyone think that this might work?


I take this post with a grain of salt, or perhaps the OP was done with humorous attempt at heart.

But, it does suggest a bent toward a stereotypical round up.

Uhura must like "urban" music and McCoy southern sounds.

Why can't Uhura listen to Opera on her off hours

Why can't McCoy like the mellow beat of Reggie

Perhaps Scottie prefers classical music

Can we not think out of the box, instead of putting people in them.
:rolleyes:

Shazam! July 15 2013 12:17 PM

Re: Is there a radio station on the Enterprise?
 
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/4504/483p.jpg

Therin of Andor July 15 2013 03:33 PM

Re: Is there a radio station on the Enterprise?
 
Quote:

Shaka Zulu wrote: (Post 8379295)
When would they get the time to do this?

During the Gorkon-assassination crisis, Valeris reports that news of Azetbur's accession "was on the news."

Also, on "Voyager":
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/A_Briefing_with_Neelix

bbailey861 July 15 2013 03:46 PM

Re: Is there a radio station on the Enterprise?
 
Quote:

Shatinator wrote: (Post 8381866)
Quote:

Shaka Zulu wrote: (Post 8379295)
My guess is there is one, and Chekov is one of the DJ's (along with Uhura and maybe Captain Kirk!)

The set list for Captain Kirk's DJ hour has to be mostly Beastie Boys (based on his preference as heard in the movie), and other 20th century rock & pop), with Uhura's being any R&B similar to today's R&B/urban, Scott's being any rock band from England and Scotland (and Ireland), McCoy's being Southern rock and country (with just a little alt-country thrown in for good measure. When would they get the time to do this? Who knows, but they just might do so.

Anyone think that this might work?


I take this post with a grain of salt, or perhaps the OP was done with humorous attempt at heart.

But, it does suggest a bent toward a stereotypical round up.

Uhura must like "urban" music and McCoy southern sounds.

Why can't Uhura listen to Opera on her off hours

Why can't McCoy like the mellow beat of Reggie

Perhaps Scottie prefers classical music

Can we not think out of the box, instead of putting people in them.
:rolleyes:

Absolutely agree. I see Kirk playing Soul and R&B in his quarters. Perfect mood music for whenever a female might visit. Barry White will still move you hundreds of years in the future.

Mr. Laser Beam July 15 2013 06:03 PM

Re: Is there a radio station on the Enterprise?
 
I doubt there is anything like radio in Trek's time. When everyone has access to pretty much every piece of music ever recorded, at all times (I'm guessing that there are no private music libraries anymore - everyone can listen to everything), then what's the need for radio?

Relayer1 July 15 2013 06:08 PM

Re: Is there a radio station on the Enterprise?
 
Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 8382865)
I doubt there is anything like radio in Trek's time. When everyone has access to pretty much every piece of music ever recorded, at all times (I'm guessing that there are no private music libraries anymore - everyone can listen to everything), then what's the need for radio?

Lets hope this is the case. I love music but hate the radio. Especially local radio...

M'Sharak July 15 2013 08:36 PM

Re: Is there a radio station on the Enterprise?
 
Quote:

Shaz Killingham! wrote: (Post 8381869)

Should we assume, then, that your position is that none of the hypothetical musical preferences posed in the opening post were in any way stereotypical?

C.E. Evans July 15 2013 08:45 PM

Re: Is there a radio station on the Enterprise?
 
What is radio?

King Daniel Into Darkness July 16 2013 01:52 PM

Re: Is there a radio station on the Enterprise?
 
Nah, but it's got an 80's-style BBS, like in the novel Spock's World.

Colonel Midnight July 17 2013 02:27 AM

Re: Is there a radio station on the Enterprise?
 
We actually had a Ham Radio compartment on my one ship -- complete with radio gear/equipment for anyone so inclined to use it. I suspect it's been ripped out by now and used for a plain ol' computer room by now, though.

Cheers,
-CM-

Nerys Myk July 17 2013 04:52 AM

Re: Is there a radio station on the Enterprise?
 
Kirk likes "Space Cowboy" by the Steve Miller Band and "Starships" by Nicki Minaj.

Spock's a Thomas Dolby fan but often cries himself to sleep listening to "The Logical Song" by Supertramp.

McCoy is fond of "Dr. Feelgood",

Scotty can listen to "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" by George Thorogood all night.

Uhura likes "Telephone" by Lady Gaga, "Communication Breakdown" by Led Zeppelin and "Heard It Through the Vine" by Marvin Gaye

Sulu mostly listens to "The Secret Life of Plants" and "The Three Musketeers" soundtrack.

Chekov is a fan of the Mothers of Invention ( He thinks they are from Russia)

Shaka Zulu July 18 2013 01:41 AM

Re: Is there a radio station on the Enterprise?
 
^I like how you think-and that's the spirit, you get it! :D

iguana_tonante July 18 2013 02:00 AM

Re: Is there a radio station on the Enterprise?
 
Quote:

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: (Post 8386468)
Nah, but it's got an 80's-style BBS, like in the novel Spock's World.

I loved that. Not too different from the TrekBBS, too. ;)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.