The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Doug Drexler on Star Trek... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=219646)

Warped9 July 14 2013 01:24 AM

Doug Drexler on Star Trek...
 
Cool Doug Drexler interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1_S5...ature=youtu.be

Ain Jalut July 14 2013 09:27 AM

Re: Doug Drexler on Star Trek...
 
Thanks for sharing this.

Metryq July 14 2013 12:46 PM

Re: Doug Drexler on Star Trek...
 
Why is this posted in the TOS forum?

Warped9 July 14 2013 02:59 PM

Re: Doug Drexler on Star Trek...
 
Quote:

Metryq wrote: (Post 8378053)
Why is this posted in the TOS forum?

In the interview he talks predominantly about TOS and how it influenced him. What also comes through (while being diplomatic about it) is that he's not a fan of JJtrek or much of TOS-R.

Ronald Held July 14 2013 11:07 PM

Re: Doug Drexler on Star Trek...
 
Nice video thanks for the link.

Josan July 14 2013 11:13 PM

Re: Doug Drexler on Star Trek...
 
Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8378362)
Quote:

Metryq wrote: (Post 8378053)
Why is this posted in the TOS forum?

In the interview he talks predominantly about TOS and how it influenced him. What also comes through (while being diplomatic about it) is that he's not a fan of JJtrek or much of TOS-R.

I'll buy him a drink if I ever meet him because I'm not either. :)

Warped9 July 14 2013 11:32 PM

Re: Doug Drexler on Star Trek...
 
I think Drexler's work on Star Trek Continues pretty much illustrates what he thinks enhanced TOS f/x should look like. His Enterprise looks really sharp while maintaining TOS' overall aesthetic. His f/x don't jar you out of the story by looking like something from a totally different production from the live action segments.

I read his cgi Enterprise was scaled at about 11ft. as opposed to trying to make a 900 and something foot cgi ship in order to recreate what the original ship looked like on TOS in tandem with the same lenses and similar lighting. He even has his cgi model move like the original right down to touches of subtle camera shake.

Captain Rob July 15 2013 08:59 AM

Re: Doug Drexler on Star Trek...
 
Quote:

Josan wrote: (Post 8380033)
Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8378362)
Quote:

Metryq wrote: (Post 8378053)
Why is this posted in the TOS forum?

In the interview he talks predominantly about TOS and how it influenced him. What also comes through (while being diplomatic about it) is that he's not a fan of JJtrek or much of TOS-R.

I'll buy him a drink if I ever meet him because I'm not either. :)

I'd like to buy him a drink also. For the same reasons. But also because I know he has Martin the Martian's spaceship (a replica) in his garage.

bbailey861 July 15 2013 01:57 PM

Re: Doug Drexler on Star Trek...
 
Good interview. Thanks for sharing.

22 Stars July 15 2013 07:06 PM

Re: Doug Drexler on Star Trek...
 
Great interview and enjoyed the whole series of them. Good work!

SpHeRe31459 July 16 2013 03:00 AM

Re: Doug Drexler on Star Trek...
 
Love that Doug, his lifelong Trek fandom combined with his actual Trek production work is what makes him such a great Trek resource :)

Jiangnan Freak July 18 2013 10:27 AM

Re: Doug Drexler on Star Trek...
 
I hope he liked Trek XII.

Warped9 July 18 2013 10:40 AM

Re: Doug Drexler on Star Trek...
 
Quote:

Jiangnan Freak wrote: (Post 8395807)
I hope he liked Trek XII.

In the interview he states he doesn't care for what Abrams is doing based on what he saw in ST09. He also says that he hasn't yet seen STID and he'd probably eventually see it on video or something to that effect. He doesn't seem eager to see it.

King Daniel Into Darkness July 18 2013 10:45 AM

Re: Doug Drexler on Star Trek...
 
Don't worry, I liked it enough for him and me. And you, and you, and you over there...
:)

Jiangnan Freak July 18 2013 11:37 AM

Re: Doug Drexler on Star Trek...
 
Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8395831)
Quote:

Jiangnan Freak wrote: (Post 8395807)
I hope he liked Trek XII.

In the interview he states he doesn't care for what Abrams is doing based on what he saw in ST09. He also says that he hasn't yet seen STID and he'd probably eventually see it on video or something to that effect. He doesn't seem eager to see it.

It has more depth, so he might take a liking to it.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.