The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Spocks Brain..... Is It That Bad ???? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=219583)

Nero's Shadow July 13 2013 11:44 AM

Spocks Brain..... Is It That Bad ????

I've watched it again and I always enjoy it don't know why it's got what I call a TOS feel to it !!! And I think the director Marc Daniels was a good choice for the episode.

Dream July 13 2013 11:49 AM

Re: Spocks Brain..... Is It That Bad ????

"Brain and brain! What is brain?!"

1001001 July 13 2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 8372845)

That's all that needs to be said.

:lol:

marksound July 13 2013 01:14 PM

It's like cotton candy. All fluff, no substance.

You know it's bad for you and it makes your teeth hurt, but you eat it anyway.

Something like that.

Botany Bay July 13 2013 01:20 PM

Things I like :

• Showing actors walking back and forth in front of the viewscreen, and some rarely seen angles of the bridge.
  • Sulu in command.
  • Some absolutely priceless Shat-acting while wearing those pain belt things.

Happy to watch this ahead of a dozen other third season episodes.

feek61 July 13 2013 01:47 PM

Well, it's like any other TOS episode. No matter how bad it is; there are some really cool things about it.

Jeri July 13 2013 01:50 PM

"While I might trust the doctor to remove a splinter or lance a boil, I do not believe he has the knowledge to restore a brain."

maneth July 13 2013 02:01 PM

The best thing about Spock's Brain is the dead look in Spock's eyes when his brain's been removed...

teacake July 13 2013 02:03 PM

No, it's not bad at all.

Metryq July 13 2013 02:03 PM

This super-advanced race of airheads with a teaching machine that can transplant knowledge far ahead of anything the Federation has seen somehow can't figure out how to design a simple thermostat. And only a brain of Spock's caliber will suit. (Forget trying the writer's brain.)

Then there's the matter of one of the three inhabited planets in the system (remarkable all by itself) experiencing an ice age, while the others are not. Must be those carbon footprints, or something. "Cave men" wearing button-down shirts along with their furry boots. Ad nauseum.

No, it's not that bad. It's far worse. This episode is like one of those pain belts.

teacake July 13 2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Metryq wrote: (Post 8373031)

No, it's not that bad. It's far worse. This episode is like one of those pain belts.

But.. it gave us THIS:

Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 8372845)

It's lovely.

Kinokima July 13 2013 02:25 PM

Honestly I can get through most of the stupidity of the episode until the end when Spock is instructing McCoy how to perform brain surgery on him.

Although I do love Kirk's WTF face when McCoy tells him they stole Spock's brain. It's exactly how the audience feels.

King Daniel Into Darkness July 13 2013 03:01 PM

I think those who HATE "Spock's Brain" are the ones who take their Star Trekking a little too seriously.

(says the guy who argues over the size of pretend spaceships:ouch:)

Gov Kodos July 13 2013 03:13 PM

This episode is pure genius. A cavalcade of everything Trek that folks hate to admit about the series. Not until Galaxy Quest would we have an example to rival this fine cheesiness.

Metryq July 13 2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: (Post 8373214)
I think those who HATE "Spock's Brain" are the ones who take their Star Trekking a little too seriously.

Not necessarily. I hate "The Alternative Factor." "Plato's Stepchildren" is embarrassing. "Spock's Brain" is painful. "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" is tedious. There's a difference. Defending episodes like these is why the producers believe (rightly) that they can shovel any crap they want at us -- and we'll eat it up -- so long it has STAR TREK stamped on it.

Quote:

(says the guy who argues over the size of pretend spaceships:ouch:)
At least you have no illusions about your fandom! :)