The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Deep Space Nine (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Romulan Liaison (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=219571)

Bry_Sinclair July 13 2013 06:36 AM

Romulan Liaison
 
In S7, instead of Senator Cretak who would've liked to have seen T'Rul return?

She could come back as a semi-regular (more than just Cretak's three episodes) making her return just after the Empire entered the war, served as the liaison between the Romulan fleet and their allies, now holding the rank of Commander.

I would have loved to have seen how Worf and Martok would work with her, plus it would allow for some Romulan story telling other than them being the sneaky and devious badguys they are almost always portrayed as.

Pavonis July 13 2013 06:45 AM

Re: Romulan Liaison
 
Was T'Rul anything more than a technician, though? She was sent to babysit a cloak, and probably ferry intelligence reports to the Empire. What about that job suggests she would rise to a higher rank that would lead her to being a liaison coordinating military activity?

R. Star July 13 2013 07:13 AM

Re: Romulan Liaison
 
I would've liked some Romulan equivalent to Martok. Creetak only appeared twice, with different actors. Beyond that every time Romulan forces were involved there was just a guest star of the week with no substance. T'Rul, might have been interesting.

Third Nacelle July 13 2013 07:15 AM

Re: Romulan Liaison
 
I liked T'Rul and Martha Hackett enough that I could forgive using a convoluted backstory to bring her back to DS9. I liked Cretak, too. Either way, I think it would have been nice to have a semi-regular Romulan character.

dub July 13 2013 02:39 PM

Re: Romulan Liaison
 
I liked both characters and also would have loved having one as a regular recurring role in s7. In addition to everything that's been said, I just think having another female around would have been a breath of fresh air. And yes, there were 2 Cretaks, but one of them was a FAAAKE!

Sran July 13 2013 02:51 PM

Re: Romulan Liaison
 
Quote:

Pavonis wrote: (Post 8372443)
Was T'Rul anything more than a technician, though? She was sent to babysit a cloak, and probably ferry intelligence reports to the Empire. What about that job suggests she would rise to a higher rank that would lead her to being a liaison coordinating military activity?

She held the rank of sub-commander, so she was clearly more than a technician.

--Sran

Timo July 14 2013 09:24 PM

Re: Romulan Liaison
 
And if Sub-Commander is one step below Commander (which appears to be a standard starship CO rank) in the Romulan system, then her rank would essentially be the same as Sisko's at the beginning of the show - high enough for a fairly commanding position that would probably involve proficiency at multiple fields. Perhaps even too high to be of dramatic use?

A Romulan character would have been a nice addition when the show went Defiant-centric. Possibly difficult to write for, though, as "The heroes suspect she is scheming behind their backs" gets old pretty fast; Garak already fills that niche anyway; and moving on to a more generic role for T'Rul would just water down the character.

So, IMHO, much better to have her return in S7 or S6 than have her as a semi-regular... But that doesn't say much yet, and any return would have to be heavily justified when the show was already crowded with characters.

Timo Saloniemi

Sran July 14 2013 09:31 PM

Re: Romulan Liaison
 
Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 8379499)
A Romulan character would have been a nice addition when the show went Defiant-centric. Possibly difficult to write for, though, as "The heroes suspect she is scheming behind their backs" gets old pretty fast; Garak already fills that niche anyway; and moving on to a more generic role for T'Rul would just water down the character.

I have nothing to support this, but I wonder if there was some discussion about writing Garak off the show in lieu of T'Rul. I can't imagine why that would be, but if DS9's producers ever thought about using Martha Hackett for more episodes, Garak would seem to be the odd man out.

OTOH, maybe T'Rul could have played the Eddington role and eventually joined the Maquis, betraying both Starfleet and her own people to join the terrorist group. Even knowing about the Romulans' enmity toward most humans, it's not hard to picture her empathizing with Federation colonists who feel like they've been left to fend for themselves against the Cardassians.

If nothing else, it would have been a riot to see how she got along with Worf after he joined the cast. To have a Klingon, a Cardassian, and a Romulan aboard DS9 would have been interesting.

--Sran

Pavonis July 14 2013 09:33 PM

Re: Romulan Liaison
 
Quote:

Sran wrote: (Post 8373169)
Quote:

Pavonis wrote: (Post 8372443)
Was T'Rul anything more than a technician, though? She was sent to babysit a cloak, and probably ferry intelligence reports to the Empire. What about that job suggests she would rise to a higher rank that would lead her to being a liaison coordinating military activity?

She held the rank of sub-commander, so she was clearly more than a technician.

--Sran

Why? At best it might make her the equivalent of Geordi LaForge, an expert on the technology side of things, but not necessarily groomed for command and diplomacy.

Sran July 14 2013 09:37 PM

Re: Romulan Liaison
 
Quote:

Pavonis wrote: (Post 8379556)
Why? At best it might make her the equivalent of Geordi LaForge, an expert on the technology side of things, but not necessarily groomed for command and diplomacy.

That's not what I meant. My point is that as she'd clearly achieved a rank of some significance, she likely attended the Romulan Imperial War College and would have more than just a technician's background. Otherwise, she'd never have earned an officer's commission. She wouldn't have to be an expert in diplomacy or command to understand the cloak, but she would need to know enough about the cloak and how it interfaced with Federation technology to use it properly. I wouldn't expect a mere technician to know that much.

In any case, I don't think a species as paranoid as the Romulans would trust such an important piece of technology to someone who boasted only a small amount of authority.

--Sran

Pavonis July 14 2013 09:52 PM

Re: Romulan Liaison
 
Why not? Maybe T'Rul was suspect politically, and they sent her with an obsolete cloak to test her loyalty. Maybe they were even afraid anyone they sent to a babysit the cloak would defect, so sent someone unimportant with old equipment.

Anyway, I don't see why the rank of "sub-commander" has to mean she's a person of any importance in the military. It could've been a bonus given as an incentive for her to go play with the enemy.

Sran July 14 2013 10:10 PM

Re: Romulan Liaison
 
Quote:

Pavonis wrote: (Post 8379643)
Why not? Maybe T'Rul was suspect politically, and they sent her with an obsolete cloak to test her loyalty. Maybe they were even afraid anyone they sent to a babysit the cloak would defect, so sent someone unimportant with old equipment.

Anyway, I don't see why the rank of "sub-commander" has to mean she's a person of any importance in the military. It could've been a bonus given as an incentive for her to go play with the enemy.

I see what you mean. But what I keep coming back to is her behavior throughout the episode. Even an obsolete cloak with have held some value for the Federation, as they had no cloaking technology beyond what Pressman illegally developed on the Pegasus. T'Rul doesn't allow any Defiant crew members near it, yet she willingly divulges secrets that the Romulans have never shared with Starfleet, something I wouldn't think a person with only limited authority would be allowed to do.

OTOH, it's possible that she was sent not only to watch the cloak but also to gather her own intelligence about the Dominion. As far as we know, she was the first Romulan to encounter any Dominion member species. It makes the most sense for the Romulans to send someone who would be capable of observing their new enemy for weakness and reporting back her findings to her people. She may have gotten a bump in rank as an enticement, but I still don't think she'd have been used unless her superiors found her useful.

--Sran

Pavonis July 14 2013 10:18 PM

Re: Romulan Liaison
 
If T'Rul was something more than a technician, then she'd have to be someone highly trusted by her superiors. She has to balance revealing enough info to the Feds that she seems cooperative, but not so much that she seems too friendly with the enemy. She has to serve the Empire's interests without being too suspicious about doing so, both to Starfleet and to the Empire.

At any rate, I don't see why T'Rul would be returned to DS9 as a Cretak-type liasion. That's an incredible jump in position. T'Rul was a mid-career officer in the military. Cretak was a Senator. Maybe T'Rul could've been an aide to Cretak.

Sran July 14 2013 10:25 PM

Re: Romulan Liaison
 
Quote:

Pavonis wrote: (Post 8379796)
Maybe T'Rul could've been an aide to Cretak.

That's actually a good idea and one the writers should have pursued. Aside from Cretak, we were treated to any number of "Romulan of the Week" characters who didn't stick around for more than an episode. Having Hackett return as T'Rul would have been a nice touch as it would have meant including a familiar character and also helped to bring the Dominion arc full circle by having her present for the end of the conflict that began, really, with her serving aboard the Defiant four years earlier.

--Sran

R. Star July 14 2013 11:24 PM

Re: Romulan Liaison
 
Quote:

Pavonis wrote: (Post 8379556)
Quote:

Sran wrote: (Post 8373169)
Quote:

Pavonis wrote: (Post 8372443)
Was T'Rul anything more than a technician, though? She was sent to babysit a cloak, and probably ferry intelligence reports to the Empire. What about that job suggests she would rise to a higher rank that would lead her to being a liaison coordinating military activity?

She held the rank of sub-commander, so she was clearly more than a technician.

--Sran

Why? At best it might make her the equivalent of Geordi LaForge, an expert on the technology side of things, but not necessarily groomed for command and diplomacy.

Subcommander is the equivalent of being a full commander in Starfleet. Heck in one TNG episode, a Romulan warbird was commanded by a subcommander. To say she's "just a technician" isn't really fair.

Your example of Geordi seems to fit very well for the opposing argument. During season 1 when he was but a lowly lieutenant junior grade, Picard was playing around with him being in command.

I suppose Janeway was "just" a scientist before getting command too? Sisko "just" an engineer?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.