The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=219517)

Flying Spaghetti Monster July 12 2013 06:24 PM

Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)
 


I like this type of movie, but the trailer was awful. Every shot was followed by a shot of total darkness. I thought that my flash player wasn't working. Then they used the same sound effects that they used for Transformers (the only lead we have is this sound..")

Plus, in my my opinion, the biggest sin of all is that they used the phrase "You are the seventh son of a seventh son" without using Iron Maiden's music in the background.!

Looks like a B-movie.

DalekJim July 12 2013 06:29 PM

Re: Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)
 
I love sword and sorcery. I love Jeff Bridges. I love B-movies (I rank JCVD and Vincent Price as among my favourite actors!).

I am definitely watching this.

sojourner July 12 2013 06:40 PM

Re: Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)
 
This is what a D&D movie should look like.

Pavonis July 12 2013 07:07 PM

Re: Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)
 
Which "acclaimed series" is this movie based on? The Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card? I'd not heard that any more of Card's stories were being filmed. If it is based on the Alvin Maker series, it doesn't look like it hews very closely to the source material.

DalekJim July 12 2013 07:13 PM

Re: Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)
 
Quote:

sojourner wrote:
This is what a D&D movie should look like.

I own the first two DnD movies on DVD. Hilariously awful. Killer Tom Baker cameo though, along with Richard O'Brien.


Quote:

Pavonis wrote: (Post 8369812)
Which "acclaimed series" is this movie based on? The Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card? I'd not heard that any more of Card's stories were being filmed. If it is based on the Alvin Maker series, it doesn't look like it hews very closely to the source material.

It's not based on the Orson Scott Card story. Liberals can relax.

Ancient Mariner July 12 2013 07:26 PM

Re: Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)
 
Quote:

DalekJim wrote: (Post 8369836)
It's not based on the Orson Scott Card story. Liberals can relax.

That's not very constructive.
Quote:

Pavonis wrote: (Post 8369812)
Which "acclaimed series" is this movie based on? The Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card? I'd not heard that any more of Card's stories were being filmed. If it is based on the Alvin Maker series, it doesn't look like it hews very closely to the source material.

If wiki is to be trusted, it's based on Joseph Delaney's book, titled Spook's Apprentice, which is part of the Wardstone Chronicles. I must admit, I'd not heard of the series until now.

As for the film, I'm not expecting it to be a great piece of cinema, but it looks like it could be a fun diversion.

Out Of My Vulcan Mind July 12 2013 07:57 PM

Re: Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)
 
It is indeed based on the Joseph Delaney series. The Spook's Apprentice is called The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch in the US. I haven't read the books yet, although I've heard good things about them. The movie doesn't look particularly good, but I'll check it out because I like the genre.

Pavonis July 12 2013 08:16 PM

Re: Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)
 
Never heard of it. The only Seventh Son I have heard of was Card's. And since Ender's Game finally made it to the screen, I thought he'd had some luck with his lesser known works, too. :shrug:

Ancient Mariner July 12 2013 10:28 PM

Re: Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)
 
Quote:

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: (Post 8370049)
It is indeed based on the Joseph Delaney series. The Spook's Apprentice is called The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch in the US.

Ah! Thanks for that. I have heard of the Last Apprentice series. Though I didn't recall that Delaney was the author. Good to know! :techman:

I Am Groot July 13 2013 04:55 AM

Re: Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)
 
Quote:

DalekJim wrote: (Post 8369836)
It's not based on the Orson Scott Card story. Liberals can relax.

http://i.imgur.com/rPIIzpB.gif



It looks like it could be dumb fun, but it's hard to take whatever variation Jeff Bridges is trying to do with his aging hippie voice there seriously. I'm not even sure what he's going for. Does he think he's sounding British or medieval or something? It just sounds like an old, burned out surfer on lots of Vicodin.

JD July 14 2013 03:30 AM

Re: Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)
 
It looks like it could be fun. I've never read the books, although I have seen them on Amazon.

antichristhill July 15 2013 12:09 AM

Re: Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)
 
Judging by the trailer, this looks fairly tedious and rather dreadful. I think I will pass on this one.

davejames July 15 2013 06:27 PM

Re: Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)
 
Yeah saw this trailer in front of Pacific Rim, and while it looked a smidge better than the typical sword and sorcery flick, there's still just so MANY of these movies now that they all just sort of blur together and feel like the same thing after awhile.

And I'm frankly amazed studios are still even trying to MAKE these movies. They only really appeal to teenage boys, and they nearly all end up tanking at the box office, it seems like.

DalekJim July 15 2013 06:36 PM

Re: Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)
 
Quote:

davejames wrote: (Post 8383003)
Yeah saw this trailer in front of Pacific Rim, and while it looked a smidge better than the typical sword and sorcery flick, there's still just so MANY of these movies now that they all just sort of blur together and feel like the same thing after awhile.

Really? I don't see many of these types of sword and sorcery films being made right now. I'd say it's superhero films flooding the market.

davejames July 15 2013 07:06 PM

Re: Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)
 
Quote:

DalekJim wrote: (Post 8383051)
Really? I don't see many of these types of sword and sorcery films being made right now. I'd say it's superhero films flooding the market.

There's been Conan the Barbarian, In the Name of the King, Prince of Persia, Centurion, Jack the Giant Killer, Chronicles of Narnia, Clash of the Titans, Wrath of the Titans, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Immortals, Scorpion King...

They may not be all pure sword and sorcery, but they all have the same basic look, with lots of running around and people fighting giant CG monsters.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.