The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies I-X (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Up for pre-order - Star Trek: Insurrection expanded score! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=219439)

ScottDS July 12 2013 03:17 AM

Up for pre-order - Star Trek: Insurrection expanded score!
 
http://store.gnpcrescendo.com/new/pr...roducts_id=231

This product will be in stock on Tuesday 06 August, 2013.

http://store.gnpcrescendo.com/new/im...pd8082-250.jpg

GNP Crescendo Records is proud to announce another volume in its continuing series of expanded Star TrekTM releases. Star Trek: Insurrection was the third of four movies to feature the characters of the 1987–1994 television series Star Trek: The Next Generation, and the fourth Star Trek feature scored by Jerry Goldsmith. Goldsmith had created a template for Trek films with his score for the first picture in the franchise, Robert Wise’s Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979). His subsequent scores for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and Star Trek: First Contact (the latter co-composed with his son Joel) built on that foundation while expanding the musical horizons of the Star Trek universe.

Goldsmith retained many of the time-honored themes and effects of his previous Trek scores in Insurrection, fostering a sense of familiarity while at the same time giving the film a new identity. Because of the lovely romantic subplot, he wrote a score using, in his own words, “a much more melodic, romantic approach … almost operatic,” balancing the lyricism with several exciting militaristic action cues. This equilibrium, along with Goldsmith’s restraint in reusing his prior themes and his thoughtful approach to the film’s villains, makes Insurrection one of the most cohesive of the Star Trek movie scores.

GNP Crescendo’s new Expanded Collector’s Edition of Goldsmith’s complete score includes a half hour more music than the original 1998 CD, plus several alternates—for a total running time of over 79 minutes. The 16-page booklet, copiously illustrated with film stills, includes authoritative notes by Jeff Bond (author of The Music of Star Trek: Profiles in Style) and Lukas Kendall.A track-by-track analysis of the score and film by John Takis will be available online at gnpcrescendo.com/insurrection.

Therin of Andor July 12 2013 05:11 AM

Re: Up for pre-order - Star Trek: Insurrection expanded score!
 
Woohoo! Ordered! Thank you!

LOKAI of CHERON July 12 2013 03:58 PM

Re: Up for pre-order - Star Trek: Insurrection expanded score!
 
Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 8367721)
Woohoo! Ordered! Thank you!

+1 :techman:

JarodRussell July 12 2013 04:24 PM

Re: Up for pre-order - Star Trek: Insurrection expanded score!
 
"19. The Healing Process (revised) 5:04". Hopefully it's the droid I've been looking for ever since I've seen the film for the first time.

OneBuckFilms July 12 2013 08:00 PM

Re: Up for pre-order - Star Trek: Insurrection expanded score!
 
It is the film take, I believe. From what I understand, this album contains the film versions of all the cues, plus some alternates.

Yo might want to keep the OST, as it uses slightly different takes from the film that might not be on here.

TBH, the film versions of the cues will be enough.

Rarewolf July 12 2013 08:44 PM

Re: Up for pre-order - Star Trek: Insurrection expanded score!
 
Why are they calling it expanded rather than complete like First Contact?

CaptainBearclaw July 19 2013 04:14 AM

Re: Up for pre-order - Star Trek: Insurrection expanded score!
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

jefferiestubes8 August 8 2013 03:37 PM

Re: Up for pre-order - Star Trek: Insurrection expanded score!
 
The Digital Bits gave it a mention today.

JarodRussell August 8 2013 04:30 PM

Re: Up for pre-order - Star Trek: Insurrection expanded score!
 
Quote:

jefferiestubes8 wrote: (Post 8485057)
The Digital Bits gave it a mention today.

They say it's a 2CD release. I don't think that's the case?

Daddy Todd August 9 2013 01:25 AM

Re: Up for pre-order - Star Trek: Insurrection expanded score!
 
It's not 2 CDs -- Mr. Postman delivered mine today, and it's a single disc.

So far, only the expanded editions of III, V, VI and Generations have been doubles -- and the second disc of III and VI were straight-up re-releases of the original un-Expanded soundtrack CDs. A crass way of getting additional $$ out of fans, because anyone interested enough to buy the Expanded Edition likely already has the original version.

Therin of Andor August 9 2013 09:10 AM

Re: Up for pre-order - Star Trek: Insurrection expanded score!
 
Quote:

Daddy Todd wrote: (Post 8486887)
A crass way of getting additional $$ out of fans, because anyone interested enough to buy the Expanded Edition likely already has the original version.

No, it simply means I can take the original disks into work, or sell them.

JarodRussell August 9 2013 11:07 AM

Re: Up for pre-order - Star Trek: Insurrection expanded score!
 
Quote:

Daddy Todd wrote: (Post 8486887)
It's not 2 CDs -- Mr. Postman delivered mine today, and it's a single disc.

So far, only the expanded editions of III, V, VI and Generations have been doubles -- and the second disc of III and VI were straight-up re-releases of the original un-Expanded soundtrack CDs. A crass way of getting additional $$ out of fans, because anyone interested enough to buy the Expanded Edition likely already has the original version.

That's not true. I didn't own TWOK, TFSF or TVH because by the time I started to like it, those discs were impossible to get anywhere, for example.

OneBuckFilms August 9 2013 02:42 PM

Re: Up for pre-order - Star Trek: Insurrection expanded score!
 
Quote:

Daddy Todd wrote: (Post 8486887)
It's not 2 CDs -- Mr. Postman delivered mine today, and it's a single disc.

So far, only the expanded editions of III, V, VI and Generations have been doubles -- and the second disc of III and VI were straight-up re-releases of the original un-Expanded soundtrack CDs. A crass way of getting additional $$ out of fans, because anyone interested enough to buy the Expanded Edition likely already has the original version.

You know not of what you speak here.

The OST arrangements are kept because the producers wanted these to be difinitive releases, and would not need to double-dip in order to get everything.

For example, Star Trek III used very different versions of the cues in the film itself, when compared to the Album versions, meaning that to present everything, they needed a second disc anyway.

The finale and some of the other cues in the score for Star Trek VI are also different from the film takes.

Daddy Todd August 9 2013 03:07 PM

Re: Up for pre-order - Star Trek: Insurrection expanded score!
 
Quote:

OneBuckFilms wrote: (Post 8488234)
You know not of what you speak here.

**Shrug**

It may be a value-add for those fans who didn't have the original versions, but for some fans, such as myself, there isn't any added value, just additional cost.

Daddy Todd August 9 2013 03:45 PM

Re: Up for pre-order - Star Trek: Insurrection expanded score!
 
Sorry for the double post, but I should have mentioned that I'm quite enjoying the Expanded Insurrection CD. The TNG movies were never my favorites, and I've seldom listened to their soundtracks, so even the cuts repeated from the original CD sound new to me.

I like what Goldsmith has done here; he's added a "contemporary" edge to the themes from his previous Trek soundtrack work, so it all sounds fresh. Excellent work!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.