The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=219382)

Komack July 11 2013 03:23 PM

Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon
 
As some of you know, the kids and I are spending the summer watching all the TOS re-mastered episodes on Netflixs. This is the first time that the kids have watched the episodes, and it's the first time in 25 years that I've re-watched many of the episodes. Here are a few things that have struck me:

(1) The lighting choices made in many of the episodes are wonderful - I didn't realize how vibrant the sets looked until I watched the re-mastered episodes.

(2) Compared to the "big three" of the television show (Kirk, Spock, McCoy), the big four of the movies (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Uhura) just doesn't work for me.

(3) Zachery Quinto does a nice job as Spock, but he can't hold a candle to Leonard Nimoy. Perhaps not that original of an observation, but I'm blown away by Nimoy's portray of Spock.

(4) I like the new special effects - I'm as nostalgic as the next Trekkie, but the old special effects have simply not aged well.

(5) Nichols is not a good actress.

Just some thoughts on a rainy morning in Virginia.

Botany Bay July 11 2013 05:25 PM

Re: Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon
 
Watching Star Trek with the kids is a great experience! I hope you get them hooked.

When I did a similar thing to what you're doing, a few things that jumped out at me were :
  • I couldn't believe how GREEN the corridors, uniforms etc were. Green must be the first thing that gets washed out as film deteriorates or something.
  • Sulu was hardly in the show at all.
  • The approaches of the various producers were so different, it was like four different shows across three seasons.
  • DeForest Kelley and Leonard Nimoy were the real stars of that show (sorry Shat-fans).
Must do a block-run of TOS again soon. Kids are heavily into Next Gen at the moment, and it's a wrestle to get the remote.

Keep posting your thoughts as you go.

Metryq July 11 2013 09:47 PM

Re: Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon
 
Quote:

Komack wrote: (Post 8364466)
(2) Compared to the "big three" of the television show (Kirk, Spock, McCoy), the big four of the movies (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Uhura) just doesn't work for me.

As many others have noted, Kirk was the "Everyman" of TOS, with Spock and McCoy forming his conscience (devil and angel, logic and compassion). This trio is a perfect tool for telling stories, and the reason any additional characters are "supporting" (or guest stars, etc.).

ZapBrannigan July 12 2013 05:10 AM

Re: Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon
 
Quote:

Komack wrote: (Post 8364466)
Compared to the "big three" of the television show (Kirk, Spock, McCoy), the big four of the movies (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Uhura) just doesn't work for me.

I found this line confusing at first, because "the" movies are the ones with the original cast, and Uhura was not such a big role in those. But I caught on: you mean the re-boot movies and Zoe Saldana.

Draculasaurus July 12 2013 05:28 AM

Re: Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon
 
Quote:

Komack wrote: (Post 8364466)
[]
(3) Zachery Quinto does a nice job as Spock, but he can't hold a candle to Leonard Nimoy. Perhaps not that original of an observation, but I'm blown away by Nimoy's portray of Spock.
[]

Yeah!
When a character is that minimal, the tiny artistic choices an actor makes are really pushed to the foreground.
It's amazing how Nimoy conveys such a memorable character with just a tilt of the head, a narrowing of the eyes, or other little details like that.

TheSubCommander July 12 2013 06:11 AM

Re: Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon
 
Quote:

Draculasaurus wrote: (Post 8367742)
Quote:

Komack wrote: (Post 8364466)
[]
(3) Zachery Quinto does a nice job as Spock, but he can't hold a candle to Leonard Nimoy. Perhaps not that original of an observation, but I'm blown away by Nimoy's portray of Spock.
[]

Yeah!
When a character is that minimal, the tiny artistic choices an actor makes are really pushed to the foreground.
It's amazing how Nimoy conveys such a memorable character with just a tilt of the head, a narrowing of the eyes, or other little details like that.

I agree! And it isn't necessarily a slam on Quinto, either. It's just that Nimoy was that good.

I have a similar opinion about Statner's Kirk and Kelley's McCoy.

bigboojeg July 12 2013 12:38 PM

Re: Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon
 
Quote:

Komack wrote: (Post 8364466)
(2) Compared to the "big three" of the television show (Kirk, Spock, McCoy), the big four of the movies (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Uhura) just doesn't work for me.

Same here.

I grew up watching TNG and saw everything made after that plus all the movies. After the reboot, I went back to watch TOS and TOS' "big three" did interact with each other (IMO) better. NuTrek looses the friendship between Kirk and Bones, the respect between Bones and Spock (by the end at least), and TOS' Kirk appreciates and implements Spock plans at times while nuTrek feels like they're two separate leaders.

Kinokima July 12 2013 01:28 PM

Re: Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon
 
I would argue that there is no Big 4 in NuTrek. Bones has pretty much been regulated to a side character.

The role he played in the series (the emotional side) seems to be given to Uhura and Kirk. I do enjoy the new movies to an extent but since Bones is my favorite in the original of course I am not as fond of this change.

alexianyc July 12 2013 03:24 PM

Re: Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon
 
Quote:

bbjeg wrote: (Post 8368459)
Quote:

Komack wrote: (Post 8364466)
(2) Compared to the "big three" of the television show (Kirk, Spock, McCoy), the big four of the movies (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Uhura) just doesn't work for me.

Same here.

I grew up watching TNG and saw everything made after that plus all the movies. After the reboot, I went back to watch TOS and TOS' "big three" did interact with each other (IMO) better. NuTrek looses the friendship between Kirk and Bones, the respect between Bones and Spock (by the end at least), and TOS' Kirk appreciates and implements Spock plans at times while nuTrek feels like they're two separate leaders.

I agree with that.

Although I suppose it's fair to point out that the TOS relationships had time to develop, while the reboot characters have had only two movies.

bigboojeg July 13 2013 12:12 AM

Re: Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon
 
^True.

The Dead Mixer July 13 2013 12:38 AM

Re: Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon
 
The main character dynamic in the Abrams films is impulsive Kirk / logical Spock. There's no room for Bones because Kirk is played up as Spock's opposite, rather than the man in the middle between opposites Spock and McCoy.

teacock July 13 2013 12:43 AM

Re: Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon
 
Quote:

The Old Mixer wrote: (Post 8371363)
The main character dynamic in the Abrams films is impulsive Kirk / logical Spock. There's no room for Bones because Kirk is played up as Spock's opposite, rather than the man in the middle between opposites Spock and McCoy.

That's an interesting point. In universe I would expect age and experience to move Kirk more towards the middle but in movie-land I suspect this won't happen. McCoy was a bit of a non-event in STID, more of a caricature of McCoy.

Kinokima July 13 2013 01:10 AM

Re: Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon
 
I read somewhere that Abrams said in his universe Kirk and Spock are the opposites and McCoy is in the middle (as having the scientific background and compassion of the Doctor). The problem is I don't really see that as portrayed by the new McCoy.

Anyways I don't think Spock/Kirk as opposites in the movie is bad per say. The new movies are about the formation of their friendship and the whole "we are friends despite thinking we can't stand each other". It's cute but it's been done many times before.

However I just think the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic of the original series was far more compelling & original to me: Ethos/Logos/Pathos, Super Ego/Super Ego/Id Spirit/Mind/Heart, or what have you. Not only did Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley have great chemistry, examining the symbolic and iconic nature of their characters was also great.

ZapBrannigan July 13 2013 04:04 AM

Re: Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon
 
Quote:

The Old Mixer wrote: (Post 8371363)
The main character dynamic in the Abrams films is impulsive Kirk / logical Spock. There's no room for Bones because Kirk is played up as Spock's opposite, rather than the man in the middle between opposites Spock and McCoy.


I think that's exactly right, and it is a major feature of JJ-Trek that rubs me the wrong way.

JJ-Kirk is an undisciplined, rebellious man-child because he was raised without a father. That makes some sense within the JJ-verse, but I don't like it. And it strains credibility to see him promoted to Captain.

JJ-Spock is nothing like TV Spock, largely because young Nimoy projected a persona that (I'll bet) JJ finds boring and sexless, and Quinto is a very different actor besides.

SpHeRe31459 July 13 2013 09:40 PM

Re: Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon
 
Quote:

Kinokima wrote: (Post 8371519)
However I just think the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic of the original series was far more compelling & original to me: Ethos/Logos/Pathos, Super Ego/Super Ego/Id Spirit/Mind/Heart, or what have you. Not only did Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley have great chemistry, examining the symbolic and iconic nature of their characters was also great.

Well stated!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.