The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The 50th special will be feature length... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=219358)

Starkers July 11 2013 08:53 AM

The 50th special will be feature length...

...Although Moffat's being vague about what this constitutes so I envisage a host of "Moffat lies!" and "It'll be 65 minutes long" comments.

He does say "well over an hour" which could mean anything I guess. I suspect it'll run to around 75, which seems perfectly fine to me for two (three?) doctors given five Doctors only got 90 :)

Link

A few tidbits about the regeneration as well.

MacLeod July 11 2013 11:49 AM

Re: The 50th special will be feature length...

I don't think that this news will come as a suprise.

Mr Awe July 11 2013 02:55 PM

I like Moffat in general, but I'm guessing the "a good bit longer than 60 minutes" only means that he's heard the complaints, and not much to do about the actual running length. I don't think he even gets to decide that.

Mr Awe

Starkers July 11 2013 03:03 PM

You don't think he gets to decide the running length? Or at the very least have some say in it?

The Wormhole July 11 2013 03:20 PM

I think he does have to get BBC approval on the run time, but that's usually just a formality and they'd likely agree on whatever he asked for.

Allyn Gibson July 11 2013 03:34 PM

Unless there is more filming for the anniversary special in September (which would be a continuity nightmare in getting Matt Smith's hair to match), the filming block wasn't long enough for the special to be much longer than 70 minutes.

Mr Awe July 11 2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Starkers wrote: (Post 8364415)
You don't think he gets to decide the running length? Or at the very least have some say in it?

On the one hand, I'm sure he gets some input, but on the other hand there's the practical limitations that are imposed.

What will fit in the schedule? And, how much time and resources did the BBC give him to produce the episode?

Those factors all limit the potential length. And, I'm sure the 3D nature of the production imposes more limitations on whatever resources they did get.

Just saying he can't pick a length willy nilly. I don't think it'll be too far off from the original 60 minutes. Maybe 70.

Mr Awe

Sindatur July 11 2013 04:58 PM

I'm curious, what did Moffat actually say? The quote in the other thread says "Well over 60 minutes", yet in this thread it's been stated that the quote is "A bit over 60 minutes".

"Well over", IMHO, would mean it's gotta be at least close to 90 minutes, whereas "a bit over" would mean anything up to 75 minutes, I imagine.

Allyn Gibson July 11 2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Sindatur wrote: (Post 8364793)
I'm curious, what did Moffat actually say? The quote in the other thread says "Well over 60 minutes", yet in this thread it's been stated that the quote is "A bit over 60 minutes".

"Well over", IMHO, would mean it's gotta be at least close to 90 minutes, whereas "a bit over" would mean anything up to 75 minutes, I imagine.

In the Entertainment Weekly original, the quote is this:

Quote:

Steven Moffat wrote:
What is the format of the 50th anniversary special? Is it movie-length?
Itís a special episode. I think you could call it movie-length, yeah. I mean, Iím saying that with a slight hint of vagueness because I donít know the finished running time. [Laughs] Itís certainly well over an hour.

SFX was just cribbing from EW.

To me, "feature length" means 90+ minutes. But unless the filming block was a few weeks longer than we were told, I don't see how that's possible.

Chrono85 July 11 2013 05:31 PM

I hope BBC America shows the whole thing without editing stuff out for time.

Sindatur July 11 2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 8364886)
Quote:

Quote:

Steven Moffat wrote:
Itís a special episode. I think you could call it movie-length, yeah. I mean, Iím saying that with a slight hint of vagueness because I donít know the finished running time. [Laughs] Itís certainly well over an hour.

To me, "feature length" means 90+ minutes. But unless the filming block was a few weeks longer than we were told, I don't see how that's possible.

Yea, feature length is typically 90+ minutes these days, but, there are quite a few movies under 90 minutes. "well over" an hour, though, has got to be at least nearing 90 minutes. 75 minutes or less shouldn't be referred as Well over an hour

Lonemagpie July 11 2013 07:08 PM

So, 61 minutes, including a Xmas trailer, then?

Mr Awe July 11 2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Sindatur wrote: (Post 8365327)
Yea, feature length is typically 90+ minutes these days, but, there are quite a few movies under 90 minutes. "well over" an hour, though, has got to be at least nearing 90 minutes. 75 minutes or less shouldn't be referred as Well over an hour

I really think the "well over an hour" comment was just to stop people from complaining about the run time. He even admits that he doesn't know what it will be.

Mr Awe

Csalem July 12 2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 8364886)
Quote:

Quote:

Steven Moffat wrote:

What intrigued me is the bit from Moffat about how they had to own up to everything filmed outside (Zygons, John Hurt, etc) but could keep the studio filming secret. Maybe while Matt Smith was doing the location work the old Doctors were sneaked into Cardiff? (I know, wistful dreaming...)

Timofnine July 12 2013 09:57 AM

If it's having a limited world wide cinema release as planned then it actually needs to be feature length... I'm guessing around 1:30.