The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Why Nimoy NEEDED to be in STID (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=219268)

teacake July 10 2013 12:34 PM

Why Nimoy NEEDED to be in STID

Because "thrusters on full" is a dull ass final line to finish off decades of Star Trek. Oh sure I used my apologetics ray gun and made up all kinds of reasons why it was meaningful but I never really believed them.

"Yes, but at great personal cost."

It's interesting that if Nimoy dies before the next film his last line in Star Trek will be a reference to Spock's death.

F. King Daniel July 10 2013 12:49 PM

Re: Why Nimoy NEEDED to be in STID

I loved Nimoy'a cameo. Far, far more awesome than watching the crew Google "Khan"

Tosk July 10 2013 12:53 PM

So really, he should have had a better final line in ST11 and then been left out of ST12 entirely? I agree. ;)

teacake July 10 2013 12:55 PM

No!!

Bad Tosk!

marksound July 10 2013 01:08 PM

I wonder if they've banked any extra footage for the next one, "just in case."

dub July 10 2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 8359639)
So really, he should have had a better final line in ST11 and then been left out of ST12 entirely? I agree. ;)

+1

Also, Nimoy is not going to die any time soon. He will live long and, you know the rest. Long live Nimoy!

teacake July 10 2013 02:16 PM

Good. I expect a super long cameo for the next one then!

DaleC76 July 10 2013 03:35 PM

I think they should have given him a death scene in ST09. Clean break with the old universe.

F. King Daniel July 10 2013 04:00 PM

I'm eternally grateful Old Spock didn't die in '09. Having him live on in the alternate reality is incredibly cool, IMO.

Tom July 10 2013 04:03 PM

What, are we doing a death watch now of TOS actors? UGH. I hope Nimoy, Shatner and the others are around for a very long time.

Ain Jalut July 10 2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

DaleC76 wrote: (Post 8360080)
I think they should have given him a death scene in ST09. Clean break with the old universe.

Agreed, as cool as he is there was no reason to have him in the second movie.

xvicente July 10 2013 06:19 PM

Also he got to be called "Spock Prime" now. How cool is that name? Sounds like a Transformer's.

Franklin July 10 2013 06:34 PM

After Spock Prime said they defeated Khan at great personal cost, Spock asked how they did it, and the scene ended. It would be interesting to know how or even if Spock Prime answered that question.

The two circumstances are so different I really can't think of anything specific Spock Prime could say that would've been useful. I guess he could've provided his impressions about Khan as a person, and that may have been useful to Spock in formulating a strategy against Khan, but that's about it. In fact, that would be the reason to contact Spock Prime instead of just use the ship's computer to find out about Khan. Spock Prime had valuable first-hand information about how Khan operated.

xvicente July 10 2013 07:13 PM

^the only thing I can think of for Spock Prime to tell was that Khan has two-dimensional thinking. Not sure what that would be useful for in the case.

Belz... July 10 2013 08:57 PM

Did he say "personal" cost ?

Anyway, I liked seeing him, but I wish they'd have cut the connections with previous Trek in this one.