The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The Cage cast (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=219229)

Ronald Held July 10 2013 12:33 AM

The Cage cast

Who is still alive among the actors and actresses wbo were in that pilot (besides Leonard and Felix Silla)?

Sir Rhosis July 10 2013 12:52 AM

Re: The Cage cast

Laurel Goodwin.

Harvey July 10 2013 12:52 AM

Memory Alpha says Laurel Goodwin (Colt) is still alive.

EDIT: You beat me to it!

Sir Rhosis July 10 2013 12:54 AM

Sorry, Harvey, didn't see you there (may be a wasted joke, as your handle could come from elsewhere). :)

Now, does anybody have pics of Miss Goodwin when she attended her only (as far as I know) convention back in '05?

Sir Rhosis

Harvey July 10 2013 01:13 AM

(Heh. Harvey comes from Farscape, but it's a joke referencing the movie/play about the rabbit, as Crichton uses it to describe a companion who, to avoid spoilers, let's just say no one else can see.)

Christopher July 10 2013 03:28 AM

^And of course your avatar represents your namesake.

Harvey July 10 2013 03:35 AM

Indeed.

Botany Bay July 10 2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Sir Rhosis wrote: (Post 8357557)
Now, does anybody have pics of Miss Goodwin when she attended her only (as far as I know) convention back in '05?

Sir Rhosis

I second SR's request.

Pleased to hear the loveliest yeoman of them all is alive and well. :techman:

Bry_Sinclair July 10 2013 11:46 AM

It's such a shame Star Trek didn't continue with the cast from The Cage.

Robert Comsol July 10 2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 8359498)

Yes, but the actor next to Jeffrey Hunter had another short appearance in the "briefing lounge" scene of "Where No Man Has Gone Before". Too bad we didn't see more of him in the regular series as a little effort in terms of continuity.

Bob

mb22 July 10 2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

http://www.knology.net/~trekfans/ima...men/Laurel.jpg

Christopher July 10 2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 8359498)

Is it really a shame? The network rejected them because a) they weren't really very interesting for the most part and b) they were all-white, despite Roddenberry's promise to satisfy the network's desire for ethnic diversity. Would Trek have been so influential and culturally significant if it had presented a lily-white version of the future, with maybe a few token minorities in the background here and there?

Jeffrey Hunter and William Shatner were basically playing the same character to start with -- early Kirk was written all but indistinguishably from Pike -- but Shatner brought a warmth, humor, and accessibility to the role that Hunter didn't. Similarly, John Hoyt was playing the same character as DeForest Kelley aside from the name, but Kelley was the actor Roddenberry had wanted in the doctor role all along; he just didn't manage to get him until the third try.

As for Number One, not to disparage Majel Barrett's acting, but I'm not sure it would've been good for the show or the actress for the leading lady to be the showrunner's mistress. Even aside from the possible scandals, it might've led to Roddenberry being too indulgent of her or not pushing her hard enough as an actress. And it could've led to strife among the cast if it was felt that she was getting special treatment. As for Nimoy, he could very well have still been the breakout star for the same reasons as in reality, and then there could've been internal strife about whether Spock or Number One should be the more prominent character.

As for the rest, Peter Duryea was kind of dull, and I can barely even remember the guy who played Garison. They didn't seem to have a chief engineer, a role that would soon become essential.

I would've been okay with them keeping Goodwin as Colt; I liked her more than I ever liked Rand. But then it would've been unfeasible to present the events of "The Cage" as something that happened 13 years earlier.

mb22 July 10 2013 03:52 PM

Beside Goodwin, this thread says that Edward Madden and Robert Phillips are still alive.

Botany Bay July 10 2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

mb22 wrote: (Post 8359987)
Quote:

http://www.knology.net/~trekfans/ima...men/Laurel.jpg

Many thanks for sharing that :techman:

She looks great!

Sir Rhosis July 11 2013 01:49 AM

Indeed, a lovely lady -- she really looks like she is enjoying meeting that fan.

SR