The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Chakuun or no Chakuun in Trek books? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=219073)

Ain Jalut July 8 2013 10:28 PM

Chakuun or no Chakuun in Trek books?

Anybody else wants to see more of these guys?

I had not read the whole Vanguard yet but as far as i know they were not mentioned.

What about in Nutrek?

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Chakuun

They could use some better looking ships but i think they are awesome.

Relayer1 July 8 2013 11:08 PM

Re: Chakuun or no Chakuun in Trek books?

No, not for me. I like the novelverse Tholian set up just the way it is...

Stoek July 9 2013 12:25 AM

Nah. I'm content to let the comics be the comics and the novels be the novels for the most part. Little nods and moments of continuity sharing are cool but even for a continuity junkie like myself there comes a point where enough is enough.

DarKush July 9 2013 01:23 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing more Chakuun. I liked them in the comics and including them in future works would be cool with me.

Therin of Andor July 9 2013 02:22 AM

It's a rather obscure race to pluck from the air to feature in a poll.

bullethead July 9 2013 02:34 AM

Doesn't IAMD's reveal of Tholian biology make the Chakuun (or a similar slave race) more likely to show up? We are talking about a race that needs an extreme (by our standards) environment to live. How are they supposed to deal with all the humanoid species that inhabit the galaxy, especially the ones that squat on M class planets in Tholian space? Blow them to bits? (To be fair, that does sound like it would fit into their pattern of behavior)

Christopher July 9 2013 02:57 AM

In principle, I wouldn't be against including the Chakuun. But it seems that ship may already have sailed, since it would be hard to explain their complete absence from Vanguard and the Typhon Pact narrative. Also, the story that features them also depicts a version of Pike's father that's irreconcilable with Burning Dreams, and I think BD is considered part of the main novel continuity.

Of course, there are some parts of Early Voyages that have been referenced in the novelverse. Notably, Chief Engineer Moves-With-Burning-Grace is part of the Lovell crew in SCE and Vanguard -- and is actually in Burning Dreams.

Ain Jalut July 9 2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 8353099)
It's a rather obscure race to pluck from the air to feature in a poll.

According to EV they are a biggger deal I don't see why i cannot talk about anything obscure as long as it atracts reasonable traffic.

Therin of Andor July 9 2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Ain Jalut wrote: (Post 8353999)
According to EV they are a biggger deal I don't see why i cannot talk about anything obscure as long as it atracts reasonable traffic.

You can talk about any aliens you like. I was just a bit puzzled why you zeroed in on the Chakuun, and even included a poll. I have read all the comics and this race didn't even register with me until I clicked on the link to Memory Beta.

Since the novelists have already developed the Tholians in new directions, and more recently than "Early Voyages", the Chakuun probably have as much chance of making an appearance in the novels as Thralen the Theskian ("Metamorphosis") meeting up with the Andorians to help resolve their reproductive crisis. Or blind Thala the Andorian ("The Eyes of the Beholders") going in search of the Aenar - or for her adoptive mother, Dr Selar.

Greg Cox July 9 2013 03:24 PM

I confess: I have no idea who the Chakuum are.

(At first, I thought maybe it was some odd nickname for Chakotay I had never encountered before.)

Christopher July 9 2013 03:38 PM

The Chakuun were introduced in issues #10-11 of Marvel's Pike-era Early Voyages comic as "shock troops of the Tholians" -- a subject race that had become the Tholians' military elite and front-line troops, a bit like the Jem'Hadar vis-a-vis the Dominion. They looked like insectoid centaurs (or centauroid insects).

JD July 10 2013 01:21 AM

I did enjoy the comics with them, but at this point things have moved so far away from them that I don't really see any way to suddenly drop them in and keep things consistent with both earlier novelverse appearances by the Tholians and Early Voyages. They are also way to obscure for them to pop in any Abramsverse stuff IMO. Honestly, if they were going to incorporate stuff from the Prime books and/or comics into the Abramsverse, both on screen or on the page, there is a whole huge list of things I would expect to see before the Chakuun.

Therin of Andor July 10 2013 02:08 AM

Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 8354941)
(At first, I thought maybe it was some odd nickname for Chakotay I had never encountered before.)

Actually, me too!

He is more commonly known as Chuckles on some sites, which is hilarious.

NotLKH July 10 2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 8357914)
Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 8354941)

Actually, me too!

Do you mean Chakuun isn't a Breakfast Cereal? Nuts!

Therin of Andor July 10 2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

NotLKH wrote: (Post 8359621)
Do you mean Chakuun isn't a Breakfast Cereal? Nuts!

Lucky Chakuuns - with marshmallows.