The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Tribbles and Klingons (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=218842)

Komack July 6 2013 03:48 PM

Tribbles and Klingons

Having watched the Trouble with Tribbles episode, my son wants to know if Klingons hate Tribbles or are afraid of them (and why).:klingon::klingon::klingon::drool: (faces were selected by my son).

Nightowl1701 July 6 2013 06:05 PM

Re: Tribbles and Klingons

More just plain disgusted with them, I think (and the feeling's mutual). Tribbles are far too soft and fuzzy for a Klingon's liking (their idea of a pet is a targ, after all). A tribble's screeching must be to a Klingon like fingernails down a chalkboard. And tribbles, for their part, perceive the Klingons as predators and threats (perhaps reminiscent of the predators on the Tribbles' homeworld) and hence aren't friendly to them at all.

Dale Sams July 6 2013 08:25 PM

Worf's speech and disdain are classic.

T'Girl July 6 2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Komack wrote: (Post 8342488)
my son wants to know if Klingons hate Tribbles

Inform your son that Klingons don't discuss this with outsiders.

:)

1001001 July 6 2013 11:17 PM

Tell him Klingons love Tribbles.

They're delicious!

:techman:

MacLeod July 6 2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Nightowl1701 wrote: (Post 8342935)
More just plain disgusted with them, I think (and the feeling's mutual). Tribbles are far too soft and fuzzy for a Klingon's liking (their idea of a pet is a targ, after all). A tribble's screeching must be to a Klingon like fingernails down a chalkboard. And tribbles, for their part, perceive the Klingons as predators and threats (perhaps reminiscent of the predators on the Tribbles' homeworld) and hence aren't friendly to them at all.

That's my theory as well on some level the Tribbles percieve/sense the Klingons as a threat. Though the really important uestion is

Do they still sing songs about the great Tribble hunt?

Though it might need a new verse or two following the repopulation of the species due to a pre-destination paradox.

Push The Button July 8 2013 03:43 AM

Ever wonder what became of the Tribbles that Scotty beamed into the D7's engine room?

"Where they'll be no Tribble at all."

scotpens July 8 2013 04:56 AM

Quote:

1001001 wrote: (Post 8343886)
Tell him Klingons love Tribbles.

They're delicious!

:techman:

Tribble -- the other white meat!

Kevman7987 July 8 2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Push The Button wrote: (Post 8348881)
Ever wonder what became of the Tribbles that Scotty beamed into the D7's engine room?

"Where they'll be no Tribble at all."

According to Scotty, it would be inhuman to beam the tribbles into space, so he beamed them into the Klingon ship. Where non-human characters beamed them into space or just scattered them across the sector at an atomic level.

Redfern July 8 2013 07:01 PM

Definitely one of those situations that seems funny on the surface, but once you consider the ramifications, the outcome turns quite gruesome.

"I kinna' kill th' wee beasties...I'll let th' Kling'ns do it."

I wonder if anyone ever "called" Gerrold on that likelihood?

Tangently related, if we assume Caitians parallel terran felines in more than just vague appearance, notably, their diets, then tribbles probably "smell" Caitians to be obligate carnivores and probably react similarly as they do to Klingons. In other words, you're not likely to see Lt. M'Ress with a pet tribble. (Poor thing would probably shriek itself in a cardiac arrest!)

Sincerely,

Bill

Dale Sams July 8 2013 11:18 PM

Just because a creature is furry and purrs, doesn't mean its more deserving of life than a cockroach. WHERE exactly was Scotty supposed to put the little menaces?

KIRK: "I *don't care what it takes*, I want them off my ship"

This little furry, purring creature in my lap right now has wiped out several species and is endangering others as we speak.

And hold on, so Cyrano Jones gets, effectively, a 23 year sentence for various transportation issues....but it's ok for the Enterprise crew bring them on board? Harsh. That's like sentencing that guy who sold the Gremlin.

scotpens July 9 2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Dale Sams wrote: (Post 8352118)
And hold on, so Cyrano Jones gets, effectively, a 23 year sentence for various transportation issues....but it's ok for the Enterprise crew bring them on board? Harsh. That's like sentencing that guy who sold the Gremlin.

He deserves it. That car was a piece of crap. :p

http://www.hostpic.org/images/1307090509590129.jpg

Push The Button July 9 2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

Redfern wrote: (Post 8350891)
Definitely one of those situations that seems funny on the surface, but once you consider the ramifications, the outcome turns quite gruesome.

"I kinna' kill th' wee beasties...I'll let th' Kling'ns do it."

I wonder if anyone ever "called" Gerrold on that likelihood?

In his book about the episode, Gerrold also wondered about the fate of the Tribbles, saying something to the effect of "I bet the Klingons didn't let any thoughts of inhumanity trouble them."

Mr. Laser Beam July 9 2013 01:39 AM

Tribbles are hated because of these things:

1) They are an ecological menace - they eat all the food and breed like mad. Only their natural predators on their homeworld can deal with them
2) They are cute, and Klingons hate anything cute
3) They let out ear-piercing screeches when in the presence of Klingons

marksound July 9 2013 01:52 AM

There's more than one way to skin a tribble ...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--...640/comic3.jpg