The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Medical Update--Possible Setback. (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=218818)

Admiral_Young July 6 2013 03:19 AM

Medical Update--Possible Setback.
 
I was going to wait until after my appointment with the surgeon yesterday to post...but I've been struggling through with a possible set back with my foot since the middle of May. I started noticing pain again. Mostly at first with my metal/fusion. Then it spread to the point where my ankle was affected. There have been days where I literally could not walk and basically have been stuck in bed. I have been using my cane again occasionally.

I had an appointment with my surgeon yesterday, but turned out he wasn't even there and had to deal with his students/interns. I had another x-ray done which was negative. This ruled out that my metal is fine and not the cause of my pain. They were just as baffled as I have been there. So they ordered a CT scan for three weeks time, and blood work in order to rule out possible infection.

They speculated that it could be a couple of things...possible ruptured tendon...but I'm not really showing the symptoms or having the reaction for that, and the other possibility was extreme arthritis near my fusion. Otherwise as I said, they really don't know what the problem could be. It has been constant pain since mid-May. As some of you know, due to my most recent report a couple months ago I was finally doing very well...I would daresay the best I've been doing since the surgeries. So now I'm back in flux and waiting. No one has been able to give me answers, so we're going through the process to try and find some. To say that this has been frustration, would be an understatement. I have come to know my body really well, and usually know what is causing something, but in this case, I've no clue. Neither does anyone else right now apparently. So here's hoping.

Tora Ziyal July 6 2013 04:13 PM

Re: Medical Update--Possible Setback.
 
I'm so sorry to hear this, Admiral Young. I agree, setbacks after we think a serious medical problem has been solved are way beyond frustrating. As are unknowns. :( Hugs and best wishes to you.

Admiral_Young July 7 2013 05:20 AM

Re: Medical Update--Possible Setback.
 
Thanks Tora. Yes. The most frustrating thing about this current incident, is that no one seems to know what is wrong, or what is causing the pain. Normally there has been an obvious cause. Not so this time.

TheMasterOfOrion July 7 2013 10:40 AM

Re: Medical Update--Possible Setback.
 
Sorry to hear this Admiral Young, best wishes, hope things improve and they get answers for you soon

RJDiogenes July 7 2013 09:57 PM

Re: Medical Update--Possible Setback.
 
Crap. :( Sorry to hear that. When are you expecting the results of the blood work? An infection would be fairly good news, since it should be easy enough to treat.

propita July 7 2013 11:57 PM

Re: Medical Update--Possible Setback.
 
Dang!

Keep us updated and I hope that whatever the problem is, it can be fixed soon.

Unicron July 8 2013 02:11 AM

Re: Medical Update--Possible Setback.
 
Quote:

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: (Post 8345623)
Sorry to hear this Admiral Young, best wishes, hope things improve and they get answers for you soon

Agreed. * hugs * :)

Admiral_Young July 8 2013 09:15 AM

Re: Medical Update--Possible Setback.
 
@RJD I haven't a clue when I'll even be doing the blood work yet. All I know so far is that they want a CT scan done first and I'll have to wait for that. They stated it should be booked no later than three weeks. I assume that the blood work will be done around the same time.

RJDiogenes July 8 2013 09:32 AM

Re: Medical Update--Possible Setback.
 
Three weeks? That's crazy. They should have taken the blood when you were in the office. I can see waiting for a non-urgent CAT scan, but not blood work.

Admiral_Young July 8 2013 10:04 AM

Re: Medical Update--Possible Setback.
 
I was actually at the hospital...so yeah I actually was wondering why they didn't order the blood work while I was there, but I guess both will be done at the same time. It's also possible that this could improve over the next three weeks...but unlikely since it will be two months next week that this first started and there really hasn't been any change.

We're in the middle of a minor heatwave in Vancouver at the moment...so ironically the heat has helped a bit. I am able to walk a little, and the heat has loosened up the joints sort to speak, but of course it's also caused massive inflammation as well. I've been icing it constantly. It will be interesting to see what happens when it starts to cool down again.

Admiral_Young July 14 2013 10:37 PM

Re: Medical Update--Possible Setback.
 
A quick update. I have my CT scan booked for July 24th. I'm really starting to think that this is arthritic based right now. It still hasn't changed. At least it hasn't gotten any worse either.

RJDiogenes July 15 2013 09:45 AM

Re: Medical Update--Possible Setback.
 
Good luck. Did they confirm the blood work, too?

Haggis and tatties July 15 2013 10:33 AM

Re: Medical Update--Possible Setback.
 
Good thoughts on the way.

auntiehill July 15 2013 07:27 PM

Re: Medical Update--Possible Setback.
 
Dang, dude. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Admiral_Young July 18 2013 04:16 AM

Re: Medical Update--Possible Setback.
 
They didn't confirm the blood work. I am actually going to phone the office on Monday in order to find out about that. Perhaps they'll do both when I'm there, but otherwise this is been the weird part.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.