The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Q or No-Name Ensign (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=218797)

Captain McBain July 5 2013 11:05 PM

Q or No-Name Ensign

Assuming you were paid the same amount of money, what would you rather appear as in a Star Trek series of your choice?

A) A member of the Q for only one episode. This character would be the sole antagonist of the episode and would do and say significant things.

B) A no-name ensign who says or does nothing particularly significant, but appears in 5 episodes.

Dale Sams July 5 2013 11:08 PM

Re: Q or No-Name Ensign

A Q...easily. Corbin Bernson only had a handful of lines, but he got to be all kooky.

Kertrats47 July 5 2013 11:53 PM

No-name ensign in five episodes. Cool death scene, here I come!

Mr. Laser Beam July 5 2013 11:57 PM

I'd rather be the no-name.

Nerys Myk July 6 2013 12:09 AM

Seems unlikely that a guest star playing a Q would be payed the same as an extra ( even one appearing in 5 episodes), so I'll with Q and make more money. More than likely a memorable guest shot would be better for my career and the fans would remember the character. So convention appearances and more money! Five episode extra is Guy Fleegman territory.

NCC-1701-B July 6 2013 12:10 AM

Ensign, I'm too shy for lines...

Greg Cox July 6 2013 12:12 AM

Is this a trick question? Why would one want to play an extra when you can play a colorful alien super-being?

solariabsg25 July 6 2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 8340733)
Is this a trick question? Why would one want to play an extra when you can play a colorful alien super-being?

A real comparison would be if A was you're one of the Q reading a magazine in Deathwish.

Captain McBain July 6 2013 03:51 AM

Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 8340718)
Seems unlikely that a guest star playing a Q would be payed the same as an extra ( even one appearing in 5 episodes), so I'll with Q and make more money. More than likely a memorable guest shot would be better for my career and the fans would remember the character. So convention appearances and more money! Five episode extra is Guy Fleegman territory.

Quote:

The question assumes that you get paid the same. Don't try to be smart!

It's not a trick question. I thought some people might prefer doing minor things over a span of five episodes rather than appearing in just the one episode.

Mr. Laser Beam July 6 2013 05:07 AM

I could never play a flashy character like a Q. Not even if it was a one-off appearance.

R. Star July 6 2013 05:37 AM

Quote:

I'd rather be around the show for five episodes than one, myself.

Nerys Myk July 6 2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Captain McBain wrote: (Post 8341396)
Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 8340718)

Quote:

The question assumes that you get paid the same. Don't try to be smart!

It's not a trick question. I thought some people might prefer doing minor things over a span of five episodes rather than appearing in just the one episode.

Not being smart. There's just no way a key role will be the same pay as an extra. Also,if you're an actor the guest star role would be better for your career. Logic.

Bry_Sinclair July 6 2013 06:37 AM

Ensign definitely, would also happily under go prosthetics.

TOS - Has to be a redshirt and then die heroically.
TNG - Standing at the back trying to figure out exactly what the hell Mission Ops is there for.
DS9 - Would want to be everywhere on the station, runabouts and Defiant.
VOY - Would fancy one of the side stations on the Bridge, and of course on my last appearance be sporting lieutenant jg pips, just to stick it to Kim.
ENT - In engineering, to swoon over Trip all day.

R. Star July 6 2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 8341783)
VOY - Would fancy one of the side stations on the Bridge, and of course on my last appearance be sporting lieutenant jg pips, just to stick it to Kim.

:lol: You win the thread.

Captain Rob July 6 2013 07:52 AM

I'd be a Q and mess with Seven-of-Nine on Voyager.
"Kate must keep you around for the obvious physical reasons....You have the sense of humor of Captain Picard."