The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   TNG Era Uniforms (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=218665)

jaygibson77 July 4 2013 06:37 PM

TNG Era Uniforms
 
I've been rewatching TNG and the uniforms are driving me crazy. The first couple seasons are okay, but Frakes always looked like he was constantly sucking his gut in. The rest of the series uniforms are better with the collars but I hated the way they poofed out. DS9's and Voyager's uniforms are a little better but then the whole gray thing comes in. Is it me, or has Trek's uniforms always looked ... unrealistic?

I know there fan-made creations out there. Just wondering if anyone have a favorite. Is there one design that looks more like a uniform and less like pajamas?

Third Nacelle July 4 2013 07:14 PM

Re: TNG Era Uniforms
 
It's impossible to be realistic about the future. The future isn't real yet.

I can't stand the early TNG uniforms, but the later TNG uniforms are pretty close to being my favorite. I'm the same way with the early DS9/VOY uniforms vs. the FC uniforms.

I think the best concept uniform out there is this TWOK/FC mashup:
http://sundancekat.deviantart.com/ar...form-147834713

SonicRanger July 4 2013 07:20 PM

Re: TNG Era Uniforms
 
Quote:

Third Nacelle wrote: (Post 8335792)
I think the best concept uniform out there is this TWOK/FC mashup:
http://sundancekat.deviantart.com/ar...form-147834713

That's actually rather nice.

jaygibson77 July 4 2013 07:32 PM

Re: TNG Era Uniforms
 
TWOK uniforms were probably the best but still a bit stuffy. It almost had a dress uniform feel to it.

Found this one. Kinda like it.

http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Sta...cept-331554426

Timelord Victorious July 4 2013 08:30 PM

Re: TNG Era Uniforms
 
Quote:

jaygibson77 wrote: (Post 8335870)
TWOK uniforms were probably the best but still a bit stuffy. It almost had a dress uniform feel to it.

Found this one. Kinda like it.

http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Sta...cept-331554426

The left ones are STO uniforms, I like the right ones, They should be in STO? :lol:

R. Star July 4 2013 08:46 PM

Re: TNG Era Uniforms
 
TWOK uniforms were the most realistic looking ones to me. They actually looked like uniforms as opposed to fancy coveralls. Not to mention the rank insignia were completely original. The standard could change in the future of course. I liked the First Contact/Late DS9 & the Early Ds9/VOY uniforms more simply because the multi colored element wasn't the dominant part of them like the TOS and TNG uniforms.

C.E. Evans July 4 2013 09:20 PM

Re: TNG Era Uniforms
 
Quote:

jaygibson77 wrote: (Post 8335681)
I've been rewatching TNG and the uniforms are driving me crazy. The first couple seasons are okay, but Frakes always looked like he was constantly sucking his gut in.

Part of that I think was just the way Frakes carried himself, very straight and tall with shoulders squared. But all those original TNG uniforms did have something of a girdle (or a front panel) built into the waist, IIRC.
Quote:

The rest of the series uniforms are better with the collars but I hated the way they poofed out. DS9's and Voyager's uniforms are a little better but then the whole gray thing comes in. Is it me, or has Trek's uniforms always looked ... unrealistic?
IMO, "unrealistic" depends on what viewpoint you're viewing them from. Someone from the 20th-Century might see Starfleet uniforms as unrealistic the more they deviate from 20th-Century uniforms and more realistic the more they resemble them (or more to one's particular tastes).
Quote:

I know there fan-made creations out there. Just wondering if anyone have a favorite. Is there one design that looks more like a uniform and less like pajamas?
This is my favorite fan-made TNG-era uniform.
http://startrek-rpg.com/ccs_files/un...u03_m_duty.png

http://startrek-rpg.com/ccs_files/un...14_f_duty2.png
(optional female variant)

Tomalak July 4 2013 10:14 PM

Re: TNG Era Uniforms
 
They've always been referred to pejoratively as "pyjamas", which just makes me question what people actually wear in bed. I've certainly never had pyjamas that look like a Star Trek uniform!

captunderpants July 4 2013 10:27 PM

Re: TNG Era Uniforms
 
My favourite piece of uniform in any Star Trek is this snazzy T Shirt worn by Kirk.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fw1oGJVh8t...k%2Bdecker.jpg

Simple, elegant and it still looks fashionable today. But most importantly, it is a good fit for Shatner. In general, I think we are all accustomed to better fitting clothes nowadays, and so shows made in previous decades look a little outdated. Some styles worse than others, of course. Dare I say it, the outfits in the new movies have been great. I wouldn't change them at all. I like Starfleet having big bold and bright colours. Darker colours look more militaristic and less Star Treky. So I think I prefer the TNG uniforms to the later darker look. Though the darker uniforms fit the actors much better in my opinion.

Tomalak July 4 2013 10:37 PM

Re: TNG Era Uniforms
 
Yeah, the TMP admirals' uniform is superb too, for similar reasons. Simple, elegant, clean lines. No surprise it was basically reused in the new films.

The rest of the costumes in TMP are much maligned, the one-piece outfits especially, but I've always felt they were pretty coherent designs. I think if you made the pants black and used slightly less pastels, you'd have some very timeless costumes.

Mojochi July 5 2013 12:14 AM

Re: TNG Era Uniforms
 
Quote:

Tomalak wrote: (Post 8336533)
They've always been referred to pejoratively as "pyjamas", which just makes me question what people actually wear in bed. I've certainly never had pyjamas that look like a Star Trek uniform!

The one that got me was when TNG poked fun at that stigma themselves in "Time's Arrow", with Jack remarking that Data looked like he'd been tossed out by the Mrs. presumably because his uniform looks like sleepwear to him

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i6...ps84627414.jpg

But seriously, Look at them. Apart from the flap & buttons, it's tailored almost exactly the same as Jack's bellhop uniform, sans epaulettes. So yeah, he doesn't know about zippers, but it still doesn't look like sleepwear

hIndsIght July 5 2013 03:42 AM

Re: TNG Era Uniforms
 
What I never understood is why the bridge officers wore the new uniforms, while the other crewmembers wore the "old style" TNG uniform from the earlier seasons.

R. Star July 5 2013 04:45 AM

Re: TNG Era Uniforms
 
Quote:

hIndsIght wrote: (Post 8337751)
What I never understood is why the bridge officers wore the new uniforms, while the other crewmembers wore the "old style" TNG uniform from the earlier seasons.

Because they hadn't made enough of the new uniforms for the extras yet.

jaygibson77 July 5 2013 05:42 AM

Re: TNG Era Uniforms
 
Quote:

C.E. Evans wrote: (Post 8336308)
IMO, "unrealistic" depends on what viewpoint you're viewing them from. Someone from the 20th-Century might see Starfleet uniforms as unrealistic the more they deviate from 20th-Century uniforms and more realistic the more they resemble them (or more to one's particular tastes).

Quote:

Tomalak wrote:
They've always been referred to pejoratively as "pyjamas", which just makes me question what people actually wear in bed. I've certainly never had pyjamas that look like a Star Trek uniform!

http://meglassons.com/wp-content/upl...010/12/702.jpg

T'Girl July 5 2013 07:01 AM

Re: TNG Era Uniforms
 
Quote:

Mojochi wrote: (Post 8337040)
... but it still doesn't look like sleepwear

Are you kidding? Data and the others officers looks like they're wearing adult footie jammies.

http://imageshack.us/a/img833/511/twhx.jpg


:)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.