The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Print-on-demand retrospective TOS book forthcoming (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=218608)

Therin of Andor July 4 2013 12:20 AM

Print-on-demand retrospective TOS book forthcoming

http://jbmj-book-store.myshopify.com...dbound-edition

"These Are the Voyages", TOS Season 1 (due August):

Quote:

"Author, Marc Cushman, had the great honor of befriending both Gene Roddenberry and Robert H. Justman. As a result of that friendship, Marc was given exclusive access all the Star Trek® production documents from the three years the series ran, which are currently housed in the UCLA Archives under a bequest by Roddenberry and Justman. These documents are private and not available for general public viewing.

"This work is derived from eight months spent researching the details of the production.These books reveal, for the first time, the truth behind all the politics and behind-the-scene machinations of the productions."

Therin of Andor July 4 2013 12:33 AM

Re: Print-on-demand retrospective TOS book forthcoming

These are the Voyages, TOS, Season Two - Scheduled for publication in September 2013

These are the Voyages, TOS, Season Three - Scheduled for publication in November 2013

Daddy Todd July 4 2013 02:52 AM

Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 8332945)

These are the Voyages, TOS, Season Two - Scheduled for publication in September 2013

These are the Voyages, TOS, Season Three - Scheduled for publication in November 2013

These sound interesting. Ordered.

Thanks for the heads-up!

alchemist July 4 2013 12:27 PM

I think it is inappropriate of the publisher to use screen caps and images harvested from other people’s web sites to illustrate their book series. Read the comments to the pictures here, starting approximately at the bottom: https://www.facebook.com/Thesearethe..._stream?ref=nf

bbailey861 July 4 2013 01:46 PM

I just read the first excerpt from the season 1 book. The level of detail looks amazing. If I am reading it right, it clocks in at 600 pages and is hardbound. This might very well be the closest we ever get to the archived UCLA documents. Sold and ordered.

Therin of Andor July 4 2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

alchemist wrote: (Post 8334679)
I think it is inappropriate of the publisher to use screen caps and images harvested from other people’s web sites to illustrate their book series. Read the comments to the pictures here, starting approximately at the bottom: https://www.facebook.com/Thesearethe..._stream?ref=nf

Seems, from the comments I just read, that the dispute is with the guy who supplied to the publisher/author what was assumed to be commonly known pics in the public domain, but not knowing that they had actually been lovingly restored by others.

Hopefully they can come to an understanding before the book is due to go live.

alchemist July 4 2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 8335153)
Seems, from the comments I just read, that the dispute is with the guy who supplied to the publisher/author what was assumed to be commonly known pics in the public domain, but not knowing that they had actually been lovingly restored by others.

Thanks, Therin, you are right, but... the publisher is aware of this and the pictures keep getting posted.

Shatinator July 4 2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

alchemist wrote: (Post 8335294)
Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 8335153)

Thanks, Therin, you are right, but... the publisher is aware of this and the pictures keep getting posted.

Speaking about pictures and great sources..what happened to the your site, all I get it white when I click the link to startrekhistory :confused:

alchemist July 5 2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Shatinator wrote: (Post 8336551)
Speaking about pictures and great sources..what happened to the your site, all I get it white when I click the link to startrekhistory :confused:

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I've let Curt (the web architect) know. What browser and platform are you using? I'm using Google Chrome on a pc and the site looks okay for me.

PS - Thanks for the kudos!

Capt.Mac July 5 2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

alchemist wrote: (Post 8338675)
Quote:

Shatinator wrote: (Post 8336551)

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I've let Curt (the web architect) know. What browser and platform are you using? I'm using Google Chrome on a pc and the site looks okay for me.

PS - Thanks for the kudos!

Works for me!

Harvey July 5 2013 08:40 PM

I'm looking forward to this book, although I have to pause at the claim that the Roddenberry/Justman files at UCLA are "private and not available for general public viewing." I've been working with those files for the past two and a half years and they are most certainly available for public viewing and reproduction.

Harvey July 6 2013 02:17 AM

I'm impressed. I emailed the publisher about the UCLA files this morning and they adjusted their text by this afternoon.

Ktrek July 7 2013 06:32 PM

This looks really good! I pre-ordered my copy today. Thanks for the heads up!

Kevin

Ktrek August 13 2013 02:32 AM

Got my copy of this today and so far it looks really good and very comprehensive. I'll post more when I have a better feel for the content.

Kevin

Steve Roby August 14 2013 02:20 AM

Just got my shipping notification. I hope it's worth the price.