The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=218551)

The Cubed Ho July 3 2013 01:46 PM

BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes
 
When Rojan reduces Shea and Thompson, the camera work deliberately shifts position of the cubes so we don't necessarily remember which was which. Shea is restored but Thompson isn't.

Both were equally nonessential to Rojan so both were picked. After seeing this episode umpteen times I just asked myself yesterday: did Rojan deliberately select her? Or, being both nonessential, did he simply randomly act without remembering which was which? I'd steer towards random unknowing on his part. What say you?

ItsGreen July 3 2013 02:18 PM

Re: BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes
 
http://imageshack.us/a/img689/9307/vi1.gif


(one of my submissions back in the day on "You Can't do that on Star Trek")

DaleC76 July 3 2013 02:52 PM

Re: BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes
 
That really creeped me out as a kid.

Redfern July 3 2013 06:20 PM

Re: BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes
 
I don't know if Rojan made a deliberate choice, but I will give the director credit for "blocking" the shots so that it was internally consistant. The "cube" he crushed was indeed the young woman.

Sincerely,

Bill

Trek Sifter July 3 2013 07:55 PM

Re: BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes
 
That's an interesting scene (I admit I was surprised that the male redshirt wasn't the one to die).

Rather than "random unknowing," I'd think of it as deliberate neutrality--or maybe just plain apathy for which one it'd be; I don't think Rojan thought that one or the other would have been more persuasive to remain alive. I think that as a non-human, he saw them as equals, so he thought the point of his persuasion was specifically his ability to kill--not whom he'd kill.

Olive, the Other Reindeer July 3 2013 08:54 PM

Re: BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes
 
A bit off-topic, but Rojan and the Cubes sounds like it would have been a good name for an '80s New Wave rock band.

CaptPapa July 3 2013 09:00 PM

Re: BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes
 
Each time I watch this episode, I carefully try to follow the cubes through the scene. I agree that the director/crew got it right - the female crew member's cube was destroyed.
I can't say what Rojan was thinking when deciding which to destroy, but the writer certainly did give it thought. In destroying the woman's cube, it gave a greater impact to the story - remember the context of the time.
As an aside, when watching the episode I often wonder did the restored crew member have a headache, or other assorted bumps and bruises from being tossed about while in a 'dehydrated' state?

The Cubed Ho July 3 2013 09:38 PM

Re: BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes
 
Once he was restored, Shea looked perfectly normal and unhurt. And he was still upright, which given these cubes were truly ten-sided, defies the odds.

Trek Sifter July 3 2013 10:08 PM

Re: BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes
 
Quote:

CaptPapa wrote: (Post 8331844)
In destroying the woman's cube, it gave a greater impact to the story - remember the context of the time.

I'd love to have this part elaborated on (I didn't live through the context of the time, by the way). If it was the woman that survived, it'd be a sort of damsel-in-distress situation--is the impact the fact that the situation didn't allow for woman-saving to occur? (Also, is it somewhat good/refreshing that the damsel-in-distress cliche was thereby avoided?)

I'm also wondering, what if it wasn't revealed right away who the survivor was?

Timewalker July 4 2013 02:59 AM

Re: BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes
 
Quote:

scotpens wrote: (Post 8331826)
A bit off-topic, but Rojan and the Cubes sounds like it would have been a good name for an '80s New Wave rock band.

Quote:

foxhot wrote: (Post 8332036)
Once he was restored, Shea looked perfectly normal and unhurt. And he was still upright, which given these cubes were truly ten-sided, defies the odds.

Except they aren't 10-sided, nor are they cubes. They're 14-sided (d14 to all the D&D players here :p). AKA tetradecahedron.

What I always wondered is where they got stored for the duration of the episode, and what the fallout was when they were restored. It must have been hellishly disorienting, to put it mildly.

Metryq July 4 2013 03:21 PM

Re: BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes
 
I kept thinking about the remaining crew and the Kelvins casually walking around the halls littered with those shapes. You'd think someone might be conscientious enough to stow them all in a big room somewhere, where they'd be safe. I wouldn't want to bargain bin them into a huge pile—imagine the chaos if one of the Kelvins blithely restored the entire pile all at once! Phone booth cramming, Kelvin style.

And why did the Kelvins send a "generation ship" from Andromeda if they could...

Hey, Doc Ostrow! Stop juggling your patients!

Timewalker July 4 2013 04:35 PM

Re: BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes
 
Even at the highest warp speed they could manage, it still took more than one Kelvan lifespan to get from one galaxy to the other. That's why they would need a generation ship.

Orion Press has a series of rather scarifying stories about the Kelvans, not to be read by the squeamish.

ZapBrannigan July 4 2013 04:42 PM

Re: BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes
 
Quote:

Timewalker wrote: (Post 8335273)
Even at the highest warp speed they could manage, it still took more than one Kelvan lifespan to get from one galaxy to the other. That's why they would need a generation ship.


I think Metryq meant, why didn't the Kelvans reduce themselves to cubes for long term travel, with their equipment set to automatically restore the crew once it reached our galaxy.

The savings in life support system resources and food would be simply vast.

CaptPapa July 4 2013 04:52 PM

Re: BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes
 
Quote:

Trek Sifter wrote: (Post 8332204)
Quote:

CaptPapa wrote: (Post 8331844)
In destroying the woman's cube, it gave a greater impact to the story - remember the context of the time.

I'd love to have this part elaborated on (I didn't live through the context of the time, by the way). If it was the woman that survived, it'd be a sort of damsel-in-distress situation--is the impact the fact that the situation didn't allow for woman-saving to occur? (Also, is it somewhat good/refreshing that the damsel-in-distress cliche was thereby avoided?)

I'm also wondering, what if it wasn't revealed right away who the survivor was?


Maybe is just me, but a woman's death has more impact than a man's does. It elicits more sympathy, and generates more loathing for perpetrator. Coupled with Kirk's obvious 'fondness for the ladies' this is the writer's way to clearly delineate the Kelvins as evil.

Timewalker July 4 2013 06:04 PM

Re: BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes
 
Quote:

ZapBrannigan wrote: (Post 8335297)
Quote:

Timewalker wrote: (Post 8335273)
Even at the highest warp speed they could manage, it still took more than one Kelvan lifespan to get from one galaxy to the other. That's why they would need a generation ship.

I think Metryq meant, why didn't the Kelvans reduce themselves to cubes for long term travel, with their equipment set to automatically restore the crew once it reached our galaxy.

The savings in life support system resources and food would be simply vast.

It would, but maybe there isn't any automatic switch on their belt gadgets? In any case, risking the whole crew in such fragile forms wouldn't be a very smart move. It takes hardly any effort at all to crush those polyhedrons.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.