The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Should Public Transportation Agencies be Allowed to Strike? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=218533)

SJSharksfan39 July 3 2013 05:08 AM

Should Public Transportation Agencies be Allowed to Strike?

The last couple of days, Traffic in the Bay Area has been a nightmare because BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) union workers have gone on strike. In watching the news and coverage about this, one interesting thing that was brought up was that there are states (And I only know about the US) that are not allowed to strike, like Chicago and Washington DC.

So my question is should Union workers for Public Transportation agencies be allowed to strike? I know in the 1980s, President Reagan fired air traffic controllers for striking because that job was so important to the US's infrastructure.

I understand the importance of Unions, but what this union is doing really is crippling for the Bay Area. I heard something like the Bay Area is losing $73 million a day (according to a study in this article and just the traffic itself (Something I might be in tomorrow night) is pretty much grinding the Bay Area to a halt. For that reason, I don't think they should strike, and the reasons for striking are so outlandish, it makes this whole situation kind of sad.

RobertVA July 3 2013 06:05 AM

Re: Should Public Transportation Agencies be Allowed to Strike?

It's my understanding that all civilian employees of federal government agencies are prohibited from striking.

In Virginia employees of state and local government agencies aren't even allowed to collectively bargain, although they are allowed the option to form and join lobbying groups. Employees of private businesses, partnerships, and corporations can still petition for union representation elections, but union membership cannot be required if the election is successful (still a hassle to quit once you join - there might be tight, infrequent time windows).

iguana_tonante July 4 2013 01:32 AM

Of course they should.

Do people find it inconvenient? Well, that's kinda the point of striking.

Mr. Laser Beam July 4 2013 01:33 AM

^ And here's something I never thought I'd say: I agree with iguana.

iguana_tonante July 4 2013 01:40 AM

Mind. Blown.

Mr. Laser Beam July 4 2013 02:27 AM

^ :lol:

Self-centered though it may be, though...I find myself hoping they get this shit worked out by the 27th...

Davros July 4 2013 03:44 AM

Every worker should be able to go on strike.

MacLeod July 4 2013 07:57 AM

Though which sector strikes more the private sector or public sector. I suspect it might be the later.

Miss Chicken July 4 2013 08:27 AM

Earlier this year our Metro busdrivers (public transport) kept having stopwork meetings resulting in there being no buses for about 4 hours at a time. On one day the drivers had two stopwork meeting at that day (at 9am and 3pm) so Tas Metro cancelled all bus services that day.

The management had given themselves a 23% pay rise and the drivers were asking for a 3% rise but were told that they could only get a 2% rise. I can understand why the drivers were upset, if management's pay rise had been lower the drivers probably would have been content with 2%.

MacLeod July 4 2013 08:33 AM

I'm obvioulsy in the wrong job, a 23% pay raise!

Miss Chicken July 4 2013 08:36 AM

Actually I just looked it up. It was the Metro Board that got the 23% rise, the management 'only' got 15%.

Tora Ziyal July 4 2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 8333173)
^ And here's something I never thought I'd say: I agree with iguana.

Quote:

iguana_tonante wrote: (Post 8333194)
Mind. Blown.

Thread was worthwhile just for this. :devil:

And I agree with them both. Virtually everyone should be allowed to strike. The only exceptions, imo, are are those on whom lives and safety depend -- doctors, fire fighters, and so on.

MacLeod July 4 2013 07:02 PM

But what could happen is that ones person right to strike interfers with somone elses rights?

Ó Méith July 4 2013 08:35 PM

Just be glad you don't have to put up with Bob Crow & RMT.

MacLeod July 4 2013 08:59 PM

^Tube strikes?, makes me glad I don't live in London. Or that I don't have to relay on Public Transportation.