The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Lone Ranger (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=218470)

Gojira July 2 2013 08:12 PM

The Lone Ranger

I am surprised no one is talking about this one. The reviews are really bad. It only has a 17% rating at RT.com. I still want to see it but I will wait for the DVD. I guess the complaints are that it is too long, Jony Depp is playing Jack Sparrow as Tonto and that the Lone Ranger himself seems out of character. It really feels like a Tonto/Depp movie instead.

Tom July 2 2013 08:15 PM

Re: The Lone Ranger

It's the John Carter of 2013! 215 million to make, seriously?

Samurai8472 July 2 2013 08:30 PM

-Depps paycheck
-A semi functioning town
-A working railroad
-They built their own train

If this fails expect the big budget version of Westerns to be dead.

No one will greenlit a western that big again. At best you're looking at a future with small 50 million dollar western movies

Gojira July 2 2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Tom wrote: (Post 8327089)
It's the John Carter of 2013! 215 million to make, seriously?

I may like it then because I did like John Carter! I guess it really has wonderful scenery and a lot of CGI expensive sets and costumes. So, I gues that explains the price tag.

The last Lone Ranger film, The legend of the Lone Ranger, bombed back in 1981 and I think that if this one bombs too then it may be a long time, if ever, we see the Lone Ranger on the big screen again.

Too bad, I grew up watching the old TV series and I still love it.

DarthTom July 2 2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Gojira wrote: (Post 8327068)
I am surprised no one is talking about this one. The reviews are really bad. It only has a 17% rating at RT.com. I still want to see it but I will wait for the DVD. I guess the complaints are that it is too long, Jony Depp is playing Jack Sparrow as Tonto and that the Lone Ranger himself seems out of character. It really feels like a Tonto/Depp movie instead.

In addition, I've read that parents who have seen it already took their younger children thinking it would be appropriate for kids and there was a scene in which someone rips out a guys heart and proceeds to eat it - graphically.

Parents were walking out of the theatre with their crying children after that scene.

Tom July 2 2013 08:38 PM

Disney is trying to make this into a franchise. I would ask if targeting a western to today's young audience is a wise move?

DarthTom July 2 2013 08:42 PM

Huffington

Quote:

But here's why The Lone Ranger is one of the oddest movies I've ever seen: I've never seen a movie bounce back and forth so quickly and so often between horrifying violence and campy, unironic humor. The Lone Ranger is without question more violent than a "serious" movie like the Coen Brothers' True Grit. In one scene, a character is getting his heart cut out and eaten; the next, Depp's Tonto is hamming it up with a horse. In one scene, cannibalistic flesh-eating rabbits (?!) devour one of their own; in the next, the aforementioned horse has just climbed a tree. Then, out of nowhere, Helena Bonham Carter starts shooting people with a gun that also happens to be her leg.

Shazam! July 2 2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Samurai8472 wrote: (Post 8327158)

Hooray!

Tom July 2 2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Shazam! wrote: (Post 8327221)
Quote:

Samurai8472 wrote: (Post 8327158)

Hooray!

Exactly my point, it is really a dead genre these days.

Shazam! July 2 2013 08:50 PM

The Mask Of Zorro is pretty much the last decent one and that was ages ago.

Sindatur July 2 2013 08:53 PM

This is out already? I had no idea?

I have Zero interest in a Lone Ranger parody, and I'm surprised they are still investing Big Budgets into these parodies of old TV shows. Haven't they all failed pretty badly? Starsky and Hutch, Land of The Lost, Green Hornet, Dark Shadows...

DarthTom July 2 2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Sindatur wrote: (Post 8327266)
I have Zero interest in a Lone Ranger parody, and I'm surprised they are still investing Big Budgets into these parodies of old TV shows.

I think the studio was banking the the popularity of Johnny Depp with younger audiences and the Pirates was so successful which was also a parody and a re-hash.

Disney's mistake IMO was western's not equal to pirates.

Gojira July 2 2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

DarthTom wrote: (Post 8327188)
Quote:

Gojira wrote: (Post 8327068)

In addition, I've read that parents who have seen it already took their younger children thinking it would be appropriate for kids and there was a scene in which someone rips out a guys heart and proceeds to eat it - graphically.

Parents were walking out of the theatre with their crying children after that scene.

I didn't hear about that!! You would think that with such failure at the movies with the Lone Ranger the studio would have taken more care to see that this would have been a better movie.

Tom July 2 2013 09:04 PM

Well Pirates were not something we saw much of over the past 20-30 years in big films. So, in some ways it was new to a lot of people, especially the younger crowd. Also, we had a very large supernatural element in 'Pirates' that thrust it into the fantasy genre as well.

DarthTom July 2 2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Gojira wrote: (Post 8327296)

I didn't hear about that!! You would think that with such failure at the movies with the Lone Ranger the studio would have taken more care to see that this would have been a better movie.

Read up - also apparently cannibal rabbits. :wtf: