The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Highest Ranking Woman? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=218425)

ZapBrannigan July 2 2013 08:24 AM

Highest Ranking Woman?
 
Who was the highest ranking woman in TOS? After "Number One" of course.

I was going to guess prosecutor Areel Shaw, but she has just a single stripe on her sleeve. Or Lt. Masters (the blue-dressed engineer), but she has no stripes at all.

Dr Helen Noel was a psychiatrist and she had no stripes.

I think it tops out at Dr Ann Mulhall, who had one and a half stripes.

The uniform ranking system was different in "The Cage," where Pike himself has only one stripe.

Gov Kodos July 2 2013 09:07 AM

Re: Highest Ranking Woman?
 
Outside starfleet, maybe Nancy Hedford.

SonicRanger July 2 2013 09:36 AM

Re: Highest Ranking Woman?
 
Quote:

ZapBrannigan wrote: (Post 8325016)
I think it tops out at Dr Ann Mulhall, who had one and a half stripes.

Yes, Ann Mulhall was apparently a lieutenant commander.

All other TOS women were lieutenants, ensigns, or enlisted.

Green Shirt July 2 2013 11:03 AM

Re: Highest Ranking Woman?
 
Janice Lester was captain for a while. :devil:

ZapBrannigan July 2 2013 11:40 AM

Re: Highest Ranking Woman?
 
Quote:

Green Shirt wrote: (Post 8325241)
Janice Lester was captain for a while. :devil:

That's the opinion of an individual. :)

Mario de Monti July 2 2013 01:15 PM

Re: Highest Ranking Woman?
 
Since you asked for "the highest ranking woman in TOS" and not "the highest ranking (female) Starfleet officer" Iīd go with the Romulan Commander in Enterprise Incident: she didnīt just command her own ship, but the whole task force.

Timo July 2 2013 02:16 PM

Re: Highest Ranking Woman?
 
Quote:

After "Number One" of course.
Why after her? Number One was only ever addressed as "Lieutenant", thereby quite possibly falling behind Elizabeth Dehner (who shared braid with people addressed as "Commander" or "Lieutenant Commander").

Of course, both Number One and Dehner only wore the one braid that would later come to identify Lieutenants. But such costuming detail is messy, while the dialogue reference to Number One as a Lieutenant rather than Commander is pretty clear-cut.

...Unless we assume that Pike considered the woman his lieutenant, lowercase l, irrespective of her rank.

Timo Saloniemi

ZapBrannigan July 2 2013 02:35 PM

Re: Highest Ranking Woman?
 
Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 8325703)
Why after her? Number One was only ever addressed as "Lieutenant", thereby quite possibly falling behind Elizabeth Dehner (who shared braid with people addressed as "Commander" or "Lieutenant Commander").

You're right. Pike had a crew of only 200 or so, which might imply fewer high ranking officers were aboard in those days. Number One was just a lieutenant even though she was second in command.

Pike himself, in theory, could have been a mere Star Fleet lieutenant in command of the ship, who was addressed as Captain because that's the custom and courtesy of these situations.

ZapBrannigan July 2 2013 02:39 PM

Re: Highest Ranking Woman?
 
Quote:

Mario de Monti wrote: (Post 8325496)
Since you asked for "the highest ranking woman in TOS" and not "the highest ranking (female) Starfleet officer" Iīd go with the Romulan Commander in Enterprise Incident: she didnīt just command her own ship, but the whole task force.

Good point. I seem to recall some female fans in the 1970s, probably Marshak & Culbreath, complaining in print somewhere that all the really powerful women of TOS were aliens. And the one Earth woman who wanted to be a starship captain was all kinds of wrong for it.

Timo July 2 2013 03:11 PM

Re: Highest Ranking Woman?
 
Quote:

Pike himself, in theory, could have been a mere Star Fleet lieutenant in command of the ship, who was addressed as Captain because that's the custom and courtesy of these situations.
While this is somewhat unappealing as such, it's neat and tidy in that it preserves the rank braid system. That is, it would be odd for the system to jump back and forth between various models when we see it follow the later TOS/TMP standard back in ST:XI prologue already. It's bad enough that it jumps between the braid and pip systems... But then again, there's only one such jump in the history of the UFP Starfleet, and the fact that the United Earth Starfleet used the pips previously need not be significant.

Quote:

the one Earth woman who wanted to be a starship captain
Did she, though? She hated it that she couldn't be part of Kirk's world, but becoming a starship captain never appeared to feature in her life plans at all. It's just something she later had to endure as part of her body-swapping scheme to exact her vengeance on Kirk.

Timo Saloniemi

Green Shirt July 2 2013 06:06 PM

Re: Highest Ranking Woman?
 
Quote:

ZapBrannigan wrote: (Post 8325346)
Quote:

Green Shirt wrote: (Post 8325241)
Janice Lester was captain for a while. :devil:

That's the opinion of an individual. :)

Yes, much of what I say is my opinion. :)

Dale Sams July 2 2013 09:48 PM

Re: Highest Ranking Woman?
 
T'pau

MacLeod July 2 2013 10:14 PM

Re: Highest Ranking Woman?
 
Perhaps Federation Assitant Commissioner Nancy Hedford.

Mr. Laser Beam July 2 2013 10:58 PM

Re: Highest Ranking Woman?
 
I'm going with Number One. Sure, Pike called her 'lieutenant', but this was before the writers knew really what rank system they were going to use. Under the naval system that has since been established, a first officer of a ship that size would be a Lieutenant Commander at the very least. So retroactively speaking, I'm assuming she was 'really' a LCDR at the time, Pike's comment notwithstanding.

ZapBrannigan July 3 2013 12:59 AM

Re: Highest Ranking Woman?
 
Quote:

Green Shirt wrote: (Post 8326666)
Quote:

ZapBrannigan wrote: (Post 8325346)
Quote:

Green Shirt wrote: (Post 8325241)
Janice Lester was captain for a while. :devil:

That's the opinion of an individual. :)

Yes, much of what I say is my opinion. :)

Just to be clear, I was quoting Kirk/Lester in the episode. :bolian:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.