The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Why can't Ro wear her Bajoran earring? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=218218)

I am not Spock June 30 2013 05:18 AM

Why can't Ro wear her Bajoran earring?

Riker seems a bit dickish to Ensign Ro. Worf is right there in every episode wearing his Klingon baldric. Is it because Bajor is not a Federation member, that she gets punished?

R. Star June 30 2013 06:54 AM

Re: Why can't Ro wear her Bajoran earring?

Quote:

I am not Spock wrote: (Post 8317525)
Riker seems a bit dickish to Ensign Ro. Worf is right there in every episode wearing his Klingon baldric. Is it because Bajor is not a Federation member, that she gets punished?

Not to mention five minutes later, they seat her next to Troi and her catsuit at the meeting. Riker's just a jerk.

Tiberius June 30 2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Well, Kronos isn't a Federation member either, so it can't be that.

Riker was just being an ass because of Ro's history.

Anwar June 30 2013 08:35 AM

She can wear the earring, Riker was just being a jackass to her.

Tosk June 30 2013 09:23 AM

Was he though? We never see any other Bajorans in Starfleet wearing their earring. If anything, she seems to have gotten special treatment in being allowed to wear hers later.

Charles Phipps June 30 2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

I took it as Riker going out of his way to be unwelcoming. Which, frankly, is religious persecution. It's also grossly hypocritical given his reason for doing so is her defying orders. Which, honestly, is laughable.

Timelord Victorious June 30 2013 10:18 AM

I assume there are technically regulations for that stuff, it's just not enforced usually. Riker exploited the regulations to be a jack ass within his rights.

solariabsg25 June 30 2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 8317834)
Was he though? We never see any other Bajorans in Starfleet wearing their earring. If anything, she seems to have gotten special treatment in being allowed to wear hers later.

I believe that the regulations probably strictly mean that she can't wear it on duty, but that starship command staff have flexibilty to allow it due to cultural requirements. Picard and Riker both seem to have been completely unaware of the cultural significance of the earring, and assumed at first that it had been simple jewelry.

Riker was being a hard-ass, due to Ro's reputation and the fact she just came of the stockade.

But Riker was NOT a jerk particularly, as this would probably be the normal reaction to anyone taking someone of Ro's reputation on board,

Mojochi June 30 2013 10:49 AM

The WAY he enforced it was douchebaggery. The regs do seem to have some leeway rooted in command prerogative, given Troi & Worf & even Picard's own deviations

He shoved it in her face fairly dickishly because he disliked & disapproved of her & her being assigned there, which I guess you could call hypocritical, given what we'd learn about HIS history in being involved in a cover up of a mutiny which cost the lives of all his crew, save 2. Once they wrote that up, all Riker's pomposity seems really out of place in prior seasons, like this bit here

Zippo and Flask June 30 2013 10:54 AM

If you were in Riker's group, he was nice to you. If you were outside of Riker's group, and you were male, he was a dick to you. If you were outside of Riker's group, and you were female, but he didn't like you, he was a dick to you. If you were outside of Riker's group, but you were female and he liked you, he would try to get his dick in you.

R. Star June 30 2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Zippo and Flask wrote: (Post 8317996)
If you were in Riker's group, he was nice to you. If you were outside of Riker's group, and you were male, he was a dick to you. If you were outside of Riker's group, and you were female, but he didn't like you, he was a dick to you. If you were outside of Riker's group, but you were female and he liked you, he would try to get his dick in you.

Pretty much the summary of William T Riker's character.

George Steinbrenner June 30 2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

solariabsg25 wrote: (Post 8317930)
But Riker was NOT a jerk particularly, as this would probably be the normal reaction to anyone taking someone of Ro's reputation on board,

Especially since Ro's actions got eight members of her away team killed.

Sran June 30 2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Is the Klingon Empire part of the Federation? Apart from Riker being a jerk, it's likely because the earring violates the Starfleet dress code.

--Sran

Elias Vaughn June 30 2013 04:37 PM

I always thought he just assumed Ro was being rebellious in general, and he didn't actually know the earring was culturally significant.

WalkerBait June 30 2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Worf was a disciplined, respectful, officer. Ro very much was not and one strongly-worded letter away from being court martialed. One buys you some leeway, the other a cracking whip made of rules.