The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   ABC's Happy Endings cancelled (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=218158)

Dream June 29 2013 03:13 AM

ABC's Happy Endings cancelled

Quote:

Happy Endings won’t get one: The cancelled ABC comedy is officially done and will not continue on another network, TVLine has confirmed.
http://tvline.com/2013/06/28/happy-e...led-offically/

Another comedy bites the dust.

Hugo Rune June 29 2013 04:12 AM

Re: ABC's Happy Endings cancelled

Only one of two non-cable comedy show on right now that actually made me laugh

Balls.

Plus, someone on the show taught Elisha Cuthbert how to act. She went from the girl-with-no-timing-at-all to minor comic revelation in three years.

Balls.

At least I have Parks & Rec for another year

Hugo - it wasn't Ah-mah-zing, but it was a heck of an ensemble and a nice antidote to the vast majority of the comedic dreck out there.

shivkala June 29 2013 03:24 PM

I watched it this past season, but I could never fully get into it. Somehow, sit-coms now mostly focus on horrible people, doing horrible things and experiencing no growth. Case in point, the episode where they make-over Max was Simpson-esque in it's ability to reset back to the way things are. Yes, I get the humor came from Max being Max, but I like to see some growth.

Which is partly why I was upset that NBC cancelled Go On. I know it didn't have a lot of fans here, but it was about people who were, at their core, decent, and trying to get better.

I also really like Parks and Recreation, since, again, they are decent characters. Even Ron has a heart of gold, underneath his exterior.

I am sad that it was cancelled, as I said, I watched it and did enjoy some parts. It was mostly a show I had on when there was nothing else on though.

M'rk, son of Mogh June 29 2013 04:04 PM

Isn't this news 2 months too late?

Nevermind, I see that they were trying to shop it around. Everything I remembered reading when it was originally cancelled was that nobody was really interested save Sony trying to sell it.

So do all shows need 2 cancellation dates now? Original network and the "nobody will buy it, it's now more official" date?

C.E. Evans June 29 2013 04:26 PM

I had really stopped watching sitcoms during the early '90s, but Happy Endings oddly enough appealed to me. I dunno, it wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread and I didn't watch every episode, but it was quirky, off-beat, and occasionally dived into old-fashioned slapstick. I'm actually going to miss it, because it was the only show I was following on broadcast TV.

Harvey June 29 2013 05:20 PM

I was hoping someone else would pick it up (come on Netflix, it can't be that expensive to produce!) but I guess not. It was a fun show -- not the greatest sitcom of all time, or even recent memory, but a solid effort that occasionally hit one out of the park. I'll miss it.

Mr Light June 29 2013 10:35 PM

It wasn't a A Plus title but I really liked it. That, and Bitch in Apt 23.

marksound June 29 2013 11:13 PM

I tried to like it, but it seemed like it wanted to be Friends. And it wasn't.

A lot of sitcoms are trying to be Friends these days. And they aren't.

1001001 June 29 2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Mr Light wrote: (Post 8316460)
It wasn't a A Plus title but I really liked it. That, and Bitch in Apt 23.

I liked both of these shows.

I was hoping Happy Endings would get picked up by someone. Bummer.

There's still a couple of decent sitcoms out there. New Girl being my favorite.

marksound June 29 2013 11:35 PM

As sitcoms go, and they do ... I was just starting to get into Shit My Dad Says when they cancelled it. It could have been good if they'd stuck with it, but it seemed like they kinda knew it was doomed so they didn't spend a lot of time working out the kinks.

Mr Light June 30 2013 03:08 AM

I find New Girl too annoying and relationship-y and attempting to be quirky. The only reason I watch that show for Schmidt's constant serious anger over the stupidest things. :p

gblews June 30 2013 03:41 AM

Quote:

shivkala wrote: (Post 8315092)
I watched it this past season, but I could never fully get into it. Somehow, sit-coms now mostly focus on horrible people, doing horrible things and experiencing no growth. Case in point, the episode where they make-over Max was Simpson-esque in it's ability to reset back to the way things are. Yes, I get the humor came from Max being Max, but I like to see some growth.

Really? I could not possibly care less about a sit-com character's "growth".

Yeah, Happy Endings wasn't the best but it did make me laugh. The show was unique in one respect; the show had the best interracial (black/white) couple in sit-com history. Both the husband and wife looked good, like they actually could be together in real life, had chemistry, AND were both funny.

shivkala June 30 2013 05:54 AM

Maybe growth is a bad choice of words, I just prefer sitcoms where the characters are, at their core, decent people.

That being said, Brad and Jane were awesome.

Jono June 30 2013 12:40 PM

Sad to hear that it didn't get picked up. My favourite was Penny, she was ah-mah-zing.

Started to watch New Girl as a replacement and it will be interesting to see if Coach comes back in a recurring role or not.

C.E. Evans July 1 2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

gblews wrote: (Post 8317372)
Yeah, Happy Endings wasn't the best but it did make me laugh. The show was unique in one respect; the show had the best interracial (black/white) couple in sit-com history. Both the husband and wife looked good, like they actually could be together in real life, had chemistry, AND were both funny.

Oh, yeah, I'm in total agreement. The married couple were great, with both capable of going off in crazy tangents without warning.