The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Dr. Strange-- discussion, casting, rumors ect; (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=217909)

Turtletrekker June 26 2013 10:32 AM

Dr. Strange-- discussion, casting, rumors ect;

With an announcement confirmed for SDCC, Dr. Strange rumors are rampant. And if the rumors are true, Marvel has a lot riding on the Master of the Mystic Arts.

According to one source...
Quote:

"What I can say is that Strange is being groomed to be the next Iron Man. The studio needs a new 'hub' character going into Phase 3 and beyond, as there is audience fatigue, aging stars and a need to move from Tony Stark/Iron Man as a 'hub' for films."
And Latino Review claims to have knowledge of the plot.

If indeed Marvel is putting this much on the shoulders of Dr. Strange, casting is going to be critical. They will probably have to go with a known actor who has the kind of RDJ charisma to carry the franchise.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7ade4351.jpg

trekkiebaggio June 26 2013 03:29 PM

Re: Dr. Strange-- discussion, casting, rumors ect;

James Franco!

Mysterion June 26 2013 04:17 PM

Frranco could be good.

Too bad Robert Downey Jr. is already tony Stark, he would have been a very good Dr. Strange, IMO.

Emh June 26 2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Mysterion wrote: (Post 8302276)
Too bad Robert Downey Jr. is already tony Stark, he would have been a very good Dr. Strange, IMO.

I had the same thought. Whoever they cast, it needs to be someone with a lot gravitas and presence, but not over the top. Bill Bixby would have been a great choice for the role if was still with us.

stj June 26 2013 04:39 PM

Peter Sarsgaard, if the rug is good enough, would be a great choice I think.

Ryan Phillippe, if the dye job is good enough, would also be good I think.

Mr. Adventure June 26 2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Emh wrote: (Post 8302303)
Quote:

Mysterion wrote: (Post 8302276)

I had the same thought. Whoever they cast, it needs to be someone with a lot gravitas and presence, but not over the top. Bill Bixby would have been a great choice for the role if was still with us.

Had the same thought (well, not about Bill Bixby but...). I don't even think age/recognition would be an issue now but probably his salary.

Shazam! June 26 2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

trekkiebaggio wrote: (Post 8302087)
James Franco!

Franco is my pick to take over from RDJ as Tony Stark

Agent Richard07 June 26 2013 06:03 PM

Get RDJ again. They did it with Chris Evans.

I really enjoyed the animated movie from a few years ago, so I'm looking forward to this.

Captaindemotion June 26 2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Agent Richard07 wrote: (Post 8302570)

Not really the same though as Fantastic Four wasn't in the same continuity as Captain America, whereas this will be in the same continuity as Iron Man.

JD June 26 2013 07:45 PM

Weren't there rumors at one point that they were looking at Patrick Dempsey as a possible Stephen Strange?

Mr. Adventure June 26 2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Captaindemotion wrote: (Post 8302906)
Quote:

Agent Richard07 wrote: (Post 8302570)

Not really the same though as Fantastic Four wasn't in the same continuity as Captain America, whereas this will be in the same continuity as Iron Man.

They can recoup some of their expenses when the Iron Man/Doctor Strange crossover movie comes out.

Out Of My Vulcan Mind June 26 2013 08:07 PM

Michael Fassbender would be great in the part.

RJDiogenes June 26 2013 10:53 PM

I always thought that the guy who plays Duke on Haven has the right look to be Doc, but I don't know if he has the acting chops; he always plays smart-ass punks.

stj June 26 2013 11:35 PM

^^^Eric Balfour could play before Strange very well indeed. And to be truthful, unless Strange was given more personality since the early Seventies, after Strange really has more a strong jaw than a strong personality.

On second thought maybe they should think out of the box. Many physicians today are Asian. Sendhil Ramamurthy anyone? Or go modern Trek, with Garrett Wang?

Flexible casting means Morgan Freeman could play the Old One. That's gotta be a plus, right?

Nerys Myk June 27 2013 05:28 AM

Keanu Reeves.