The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Does Star Fleet not run psychiatric examinations on its recruits? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=217870)

QuarkforNagus June 25 2013 09:11 PM

Does Star Fleet not run psychiatric examinations on its recruits?
 
Is there any explanation for how Barclay managed to graduate?

Every single episode he's in is like a case study.

Sran June 25 2013 09:17 PM

Re: Does Star Fleet not run psychiatric examinations on its recruits?
 
Quote:

QuarkforNagus wrote: (Post 8298928)
Is there any explanation for how Barclay managed to graduate?

Every single episode he's in is like a case study.

If we're to believe Jake's comments in "Nor the Battle for the Strong," they're required to undergo a psychological profile during their training. Perhaps the issue is not whether an officer has a behavioral problem but whether the problem in question is treatable. Barclay may have carried a diagnosis and been treated prior to his coming aboard Enterprise. That wouldn't explain why things changed once he was working for LaForge, but it may be why he was still in the service.

--Sran

MacLeod June 25 2013 09:20 PM

Re: Does Star Fleet not run psychiatric examinations on its recruits?
 
People change over time, he might have had no issues during his time at the Academy. Any issues he might have could have developed later.

QuarkforNagus June 25 2013 09:26 PM

Re: Does Star Fleet not run psychiatric examinations on its recruits?
 
Why does he even have access to holodecks at all? Don't they require security codes to get in?

Couldn't they have put him on sick leave for his mental illness?

MacLeod June 25 2013 09:29 PM

Re: Does Star Fleet not run psychiatric examinations on its recruits?
 
Why aside from "Hollow Pursuits" he appeared able to perform his duties.

Crazyewok June 25 2013 09:35 PM

Re: Does Star Fleet not run psychiatric examinations on its recruits?
 
It also may depend on what role your are planning to go in for.

If he was to go into Command or Security I doubt he would have got a clean bill of health.

But science and engineering? Well a lot of the smartest people have issues so they may have a slightly more lax on recruitment.

The Wormhole June 26 2013 12:44 AM

Re: Does Star Fleet not run psychiatric examinations on its recruits?
 
Quote:

QuarkforNagus wrote: (Post 8299024)
Why does he even have access to holodecks at all? Don't they require security codes to get in?

Why would they? They're meant for recreational purposes, they don't pose a security threat.

Sran June 26 2013 12:50 AM

Re: Does Star Fleet not run psychiatric examinations on its recruits?
 
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 8299984)
Why would they? They're meant for recreational purposes, they don't pose a security threat.

It would also seem that Starfleet is much more forgiving when it comes to inappropriate behavior. Hell, Worf killed someone in cold blood (consistent with Klingon law, however), and Picard let him off with a reprimand.

--Sran

solariabsg25 June 26 2013 01:20 AM

Re: Does Star Fleet not run psychiatric examinations on its recruits?
 
I'm less concerned with Barclay's idiosyncrasies than the alarming rate that the captains of Constitution-Class starships tend to go nuts despite the fact that they are supposed to be "the best of the best", and that many Admirals seem to become corrupt from the moment they gain their rank insignia!

It's been shown that Barclay is indeed a very capable officer in his field, it's just that he'll almost certainly never reach command of a starship.

Sran June 26 2013 01:25 AM

Re: Does Star Fleet not run psychiatric examinations on its recruits?
 
Quote:

solariabsg25 wrote: (Post 8300089)
I'm less concerned with Barclay's idiosyncrasies than the alarming rate that the captains of Constitution-Class starships tend to go nuts despite the fact that they are supposed to be "the best of the best", and that many Admirals seem to become corrupt from the moment they gain their rank insignia!

Is it the rank insignia or the new uniform? Or is it more a matter of them being cooped up in offices all the time? Now that I mention it, I do have a hard time seeing some of them commanding ships. I mean, Ross? He's a good guy, but he's too indecisive to sit in the big chair.

--Sran

The Wormhole June 26 2013 01:27 AM

Re: Does Star Fleet not run psychiatric examinations on its recruits?
 
Quote:

Sran wrote: (Post 8300005)
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 8299984)
Why would they? They're meant for recreational purposes, they don't pose a security threat.

It would also seem that Starfleet is much more forgiving when it comes to inappropriate behavior. Hell, Worf killed someone in cold blood (consistent with Klingon law, however), and Picard let him off with a reprimand.

--Sran

A better example is on DS9. In S4 Sisko chews Worf out over attempting to kill Kurn, which again is allowed under Klingon ritual. But then in S7, Sisko drops hints about challenging Gowron, which Worf does, kills him, and presumably Sisko is cool with that.

Trevacious June 26 2013 01:29 AM

Re: Does Star Fleet not run psychiatric examinations on its recruits?
 
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 8299984)
Quote:

QuarkforNagus wrote: (Post 8299024)
Why does he even have access to holodecks at all? Don't they require security codes to get in?

Why would they? They're meant for recreational purposes, they don't pose a security threat.

Unless you conjure up Moriarty with instructions that he be capable of defeating an android officer of the fleet.

Sran June 26 2013 01:30 AM

Re: Does Star Fleet not run psychiatric examinations on its recruits?
 
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 8300101)
A better example is on DS9. In S4 Sisko chews Worf out over attempting to kill Kurn, which again is allowed under Klingon ritual. But then in S7, Sisko drops hints about challenging Gowron, which Worf does, kills him, and presumably Sisko is cool with that.

Different stakes. Also recall that the Sisko asking Worf to get rid of Gowron was a post-ITPML Sisko who had already dirtied his own hands. To get on Worf's case about legitimately challenging and killing Gowron wouldn't have been fair. Sisko also knew Worf a lot better by the time the seventh season rolled around. When he tried to kill Kurn, they hadn't worked together that long.

--Sran

solariabsg25 June 26 2013 01:42 AM

Re: Does Star Fleet not run psychiatric examinations on its recruits?
 
Quote:

Sran wrote: (Post 8300098)
Quote:

solariabsg25 wrote: (Post 8300089)
I'm less concerned with Barclay's idiosyncrasies than the alarming rate that the captains of Constitution-Class starships tend to go nuts despite the fact that they are supposed to be "the best of the best", and that many Admirals seem to become corrupt from the moment they gain their rank insignia!

Is it the rank insignia or the new uniform? Or is it more a matter of them being cooped up in offices all the time? Now that I mention it, I do have a hard time seeing some of them commanding ships. I mean, Ross? He's a good guy, but he's too indecisive to sit in the big chair.

--Sran

Ross could have been a starship Captain in the past, but simply out of the big chair for a considerable amount of time, not unheard of as for example Picard, a very capable captain, did not have a command for nine years. Had Ross been promoted to Admiral only ten years before we first saw him, much of his experience would be out of date.

On the other side of the coin, Commodore Stocker had reached that rank without ever commanding a ship, and apparently not even serving on one, during his entire career.

The Wormhole June 26 2013 01:54 AM

Re: Does Star Fleet not run psychiatric examinations on its recruits?
 
Quote:

Trevacious wrote: (Post 8300113)
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 8299984)
Quote:

QuarkforNagus wrote: (Post 8299024)
Why does he even have access to holodecks at all? Don't they require security codes to get in?

Why would they? They're meant for recreational purposes, they don't pose a security threat.

Unless you conjure up Moriarty with instructions that he be capable of defeating an android officer of the fleet.

Which presumably Barclay wasn't doing. So unless midget musketeer Riker was going to somehow break out of the holodeck and rampage around the ship, nothing Barclay was doing in there needed to be restricted by security.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.